DIY Folding Display with Chicken Wire

Guys, today I’m sharing a display piece that my husband, Guy in the Garage, built for me for the market a few weeks ago.  Isn’t he sweet?  😉  This worked perfect for displaying all the fabric garlands that I had for sale, but it could really hold so many different things!
How to Build a DIY Folding Display with Chicken Wire - by Girl (and Guy) in the Garage

He built three panels, and each one is three feet wide and six feet tall.  The plan was for it to span almost the height/width of one side of the canopy we used, so it would be a makeshift wall.  Here’s the layout after the initial cuts:

Next Mr. GITG stained it with Minwax stain in Espresso, a nice rich brown.  He also used this stain for the crates that I used in my display.

Are you getting ready to sell upcycled furniture or decor in your first vintage market, fair, or antique booth?  Click Here to get updates and advice for vintage vendors.

For the angled corners, he attached the pieces with L-brackets.

He attached the straight edges with these braces:

The panels are connected with door hinges, and they fold together easily for storage or transportation.

He cut and stapled chicken wire onto each panel so it would be easy to clip items on, like my fabric garland.  But you could make a smaller version for displaying jewelry, photos, Christmas cards, kids’ artwork, etc.

Here is the DIY folding display in its (huge) glory:

I think it came out better than either of us expected, since my hubs is still learning his way around big saws and power tools.  🙂

Here’s one of the garlands I made – it was super easy by cutting strips of coordinating fabric and ribbon and tying them onto jute rope.  This is a patriotic one since it’s summertime, and I have some leftover… so they might end up on display in my home for the 4th of July!

Patriotic Fabric Garland and How to Build a DIY Folding Display - by Girl (and Guy) in the Garage

This is how it looked on vintage market day:

It was actually really pretty with all the colorful garland gently blowing in the breeze.

I love this DIY folding display and how easy it is to move around and take to markets.  And it certainly makes an impression because of its size!  🙂  But it would be super simple to build a smaller version for personal use too.  What do you think of it?  Mr. GITG and I would love to know!

Related Market Posts:

* Doing your first vintage market or craft fair?  Vendor Tips and Resources *

* DIY Signs for the Market *

* Thrifted Art to Stylish DIY Memo Boards *

* DIY Fabric Backdrop Sign *

DIY Fabric Backdrop Sign - Girl in the Garage

13 Comments on DIY Folding Display with Chicken Wire

1. Charlene Hansen
    June 2, 2016 at 3:21 pm (1 year ago)

I love this! So many things you could use this for in different sizes! Am filing this away!

2. Just Justin
    June 2, 2016 at 4:24 pm (1 year ago)

WOW!!! What a statement piece!!! The garlands are so nice too! 🙂

3. Marie, The Interior Frugalista
    June 2, 2016 at 8:53 pm (1 year ago)

What a great idea! Love the portability but also that it would be nice and light to haul and set up. It looks great under your tent!

4. Anika
    June 3, 2016 at 5:21 pm (1 year ago)

This is such an awesome idea!! It can have a million different uses!! Your garlands are looking so nice too!

5. Kris
    June 23, 2016 at 6:54 pm (1 year ago)

Love this! What’s the thickness and width of the wood you used?

June 23, 2016 at 11:17 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you, Kris! The wood is 1 inch thick and 2.5 inches wide.

6. emma
    July 28, 2016 at 7:10 pm (1 year ago)

Im thinking of doing this to display a school project, thanks !!

7. Katie
    September 3, 2016 at 8:25 am (12 months ago)

How did you secure the chicken wire and cover up the sharp edges?

September 4, 2016 at 9:50 pm (12 months ago)

Hi Katie, we used a heavy duty staple gun to secure the chicken wire, and folded the sharp edges over with pliers.

8. Kathy
    September 18, 2016 at 8:22 pm (11 months ago)

This looks great! Thanks for sharing! I am getting ready for my first craft fair and I would love to make something like this. Could you comment on the stability of the whole thing? Do you need to keep it in a zig zag shape when standing or can you expand it all the way without risking it tipping over easily?
    Thanks for the info!

September 18, 2016 at 11:10 pm (11 months ago)

Kathy,
      Thank you! It’s quite sturdy given the height, but it does need to be in either a little bit of a zig zag or L-shape. In the photo above from the market I did, my canopy is 10 ft wide and this folding display is 9 ft wide – and you can see that it’s almost completely stretched out but just a little zig zag. It was also quite windy that day, but the wind goes right through the chicken wire. If you’re planning on hanging heavier items on it, then you might have more issues with its stability. Hope that helps!

9. Donald
    November 20, 2016 at 3:07 pm (9 months ago)

Jen,
    Did he use standard store purchased 1 inch wood for this project?
    If so, it would be about 3/4 of an inch thick.
    Am I correct in assuming he used standard 1 inch store purchased wood?
    Ty!

November 29, 2016 at 9:44 pm (9 months ago)

Hi Donald,
      Sorry for the late response! The display is packed away until the next market, but I do believe you’re correct on the wood thickness. Good luck building yours 🙂