Gold and Gray Cabinet {Metallic Themed Furniture Makeover}

Hi friends- today is themed furniture makeover day!  For March we chose “metallics” as the theme.  At the end of this post you can click on the images to see my friends’ projects.

Here’s my contribution.

This piece gave me some grief the last few weeks, that’s for sure!  The top was pretty scratched but the worst part was the cigarette smell inside.  I’ve tried several things to get the stink out and it’s mostly gone, but I’m still working on getting it completely odor-free.  Do you have any tips for me?

Before:  Gold and Gray Cabinet {Metallic Themed Furniture Makeover} - girlinthegarage.net Before: Gold and Gray Cabinet {Metallic Themed Furniture Makeover} - girlinthegarage.net

Here’s what I did:

Gold and Gray Cabinet {Metallic Themed Furniture Makeover} - girlinthegarage.net Gold and Gray Cabinet {Metallic Themed Furniture Makeover} - girlinthegarage.net

Paris Grey often looks silvery, especially with the shine after it’s been waxed.  That plus the fabulous gold paste make this most definitely metallic!

I kept the handles because the torches are awesome.

Here are a few articles that might be useful:

Review and Tips on Using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint®

How to Age Furniture with Clear and Dark Wax

How Many Pieces Can I Paint with One Can of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint®?

19 Comments on Gold and Gray Cabinet {Metallic Themed Furniture Makeover}

1. Christy@Confessions of a Serial Do-it-Yourselfer
    March 27, 2014 at 8:36 am (3 years ago)

It turn out pretty, Jen! Luckily we can’t smell it, but a quick coat of shellac with a foam brush (on the inside) should get rid of any residual odors. Love the torch knobs, too. 🙂

2. Susan
    March 27, 2014 at 1:47 pm (3 years ago)

It looks fantastic! As usual you made something drab to beautiful!! Love it!

3. Donna
    March 27, 2014 at 2:46 pm (3 years ago)

You always do lovely work! Put some charcoal in the cabinet. It will help soak up the cigarette odor! 🙂

March 28, 2014 at 2:53 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you Donna – I may have to give charcoal a try!

4. Paula@SweetPea
    March 27, 2014 at 6:21 pm (3 years ago)

This looks amazing, Jen! I love the gold combined with Paris Gray. It’s lovely and should give you great storage.

Does charcoal help to get rid of smells? I think I’ve heard that.
    Paula@SweetPea recently posted…Thrifted Stool MakeoverMy Profile

March 28, 2014 at 2:53 pm (3 years ago)

Kathy, thank you! I think it comes in many colors. I know there were at least 3 different shades of gold! Search for Baroque Art on Amazon and you’ll find it- it’s reasonably priced, too!

March 28, 2014 at 2:51 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you so much Wendi!

March 28, 2014 at 8:19 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks so much Barbara!

5. Linda Rielly
    March 29, 2014 at 1:44 am (3 years ago)

I used news paper that I made into a basket form to hold charcoal that way the charcoal didn’t mess up the inside of my dresser drawers. It worked took the wet musty smell out of it, Worked like a charm. Apparently they use charcoal to freshen the drawers of seniors in seniors home. A freind and home care worker told me about the chrcoal. Good luck.

March 29, 2014 at 11:00 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks for the tip, Linda – I may have to try that!

6. Elizabeth @ Southern Color
    April 1, 2014 at 1:38 pm (3 years ago)

Love the color combo!! Gold is my fave metallic at the moment and it looks great on this piece! I just received gold wax from Country Chic paint to try – I wonder if it will have similar look? Good job! 🙂

April 1, 2014 at 11:31 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks Elizabeth! I love the gold paste I used. I’ll probably use it more subtly next time- but I’m curious about the gold wax too!

7. Ruthie
    April 7, 2014 at 8:37 am (3 years ago)

I use plain white vinegar and a soft cloth to rub down the interiors of “smelly” furniture. Some people dilute it half vinegar-half water but I just use it straight.