The Blogger NetworkAdvertise with us Report this ad

Necktie Cuff Bracelet

How was your weekend?  I’ve been working on a painting project that I’m very excited to show you Wednesday.  (And tomorrow I’m sharing some of the ways I organize my house- gasp!  Yes I do organize some areas of my home, just not all of it.  Haha)  But today’s project is a fun accessory upcycle with lots of different ways to customize it.

First, buy an old necktie from a thrift store for a couple bucks.  (Or steal one from your hubby that he doesn’t wear anymore!)

You’ll also need one button for each bracelet that you want to make.  I love mine – I found them at Joann Fabrics.

Wrap the end of the necktie (I used the thin end, but you can use the thick end if you want a larger cuff) around your wrist to measure the length.  It’s better to cut it a little long and then you can make it shorter later if you need to.

Stitch the end you just cut to keep it from unraveling.  You can use a sewing machine or just do it by hand.

For the next part you have a couple options.  You can either sew a button hole, sew velcro, or add a snap for closure.  I opted to use velcro since I already had some, even though it was white.  You might be able to find a color similar to your necktie color.

I cut two small squares and stitched them by hand so that they would match up when the bracelet closes.  Be careful what color thread you use so it isn’t obvious when you’re wearing it!

Then sew your button on securely and get ready to wear your newly upcycled accessory!

When I make another one, I’m probably going to try making it with a snap instead of velcro.

What would you do?

Does your hubby/boyfriend/dad have any old neckties that he won’t mind if you use?  ;)

Other awesome posts:

* Distressed Headboard Bench

* My First Magazine Feature!

* Handy Hubby, Fancy Chandy

21 Comments on Necktie Cuff Bracelet

1. Kristin
    (January 20, 2014)

Love this idea!
    Your pics are looking so much better!!
    Pinned!
    K-

(January 20, 2014)

Thank you Kristin! I’ve been working on them a lot. ;) Now I just need to take the leap to manual!

2. Emily @ Tossed Salad Life
    (January 26, 2014)

These are awesome. I’m always eying the neckties at Goodwill– they have such nice ones for $2. This would be a great way to use them! Thanks for the inspiration.
    Emily @ Tossed Salad Life recently posted…Valentine’s Day Heart TreeMy Profile

(January 26, 2014)

Emily, Thanks! I’m going to be on the lookout for more cool ties too. ;)

3. Silvere
    (January 26, 2014)

Very cool tutorial. You may be able to use magnets as closures as well. I’ll have to give it a try. :)

(January 26, 2014)

Thanks Silvere! I didn’t even think of magnets- that’s a great idea too!

4. Suzanne
    (January 27, 2014)

This is such a cute idea! Love the idea of repurposing old ties – especially using some from the favorite guys in our lives.
    Thanks for the inspiration,
    Suzanne
    Pieced Pastimes
    Suzanne recently posted…Chocolate Banana SmoothieMy Profile

5. Camille
    (January 27, 2014)

Oh MYYYY. I have been looking for ways to use a TON of men’s ties I got at an estate sale. I’ve made wreaths with some of them, but I love this idea! CUTE, CUTE!

I’m visiting from Lines Across.

6. mieneke
    (January 28, 2014)

Fantasic “bracelets”, I was looking for somtehing to do woth my husband’s ties, he doesn’t need them anymore for worK Thanks!

7. Liz
    (March 8, 2014)

This is a perfect use for some neckties I saved after my grandfather passed away. I’ve been wondering what to do with them… Now I know! Thanks! I’ll think of him every time I wear the cuff.

(March 13, 2014)

Liz, I love that idea – it is perfect! Thank you for sharing.

8. Laura
    (June 20, 2014)

This is such a cute idea! What an adorable DIY bracelet project!

(June 21, 2014)

Thank you so much, Laura! :)

9. they call me a horder
    (July 13, 2014)

I knew I was saving those neck ties for a reason. THANKS!!! I LOVE THE IDEA.

• they call me a horder
      (July 13, 2014)

AND THE BUTTONS AND BEADS TOO.

5Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Necktie Cuff Bracelet

1. […] iPad Stand by The Turquoise Home ~ Necktie Cuff Bracelet by Girl in the […]

2. […] iPad Stand by The Turquoise Home ~ Necktie Cuff Bracelet by Girl in the […]