I think that’s my longest title ever… haha.

Today is Themed Furniture Makeover Day with my blogging friends, and this month’s theme is Red, White, or Blue.  I went back and forth on which piece of furniture to redo this time, and finally decided on my almost-famous ReStore chair that received 470 Likes on my Facebook page back in January:

DIY Reupholstered Chair Makeover and Lessons Learned - by Girl in the Garage

I’m not gonna lie, I’ve always been really intimidated to attempt this kind of reupholstery project.  I have at least 4 other similar type chairs, and I’ve been a big ol’ scaredy cat.  Well, what’s the best way to overcome your fear?  Dive right in!

DIY Reupholstered Chair Makeover and Lessons Learned - by Girl in the Garage

It took a day (working off and on) to remove all the old fabric and the 3,236,569 staples.  I used needlenose pliers and my hands, which were really sore afterward!  I kept the fabric pieces to guide me when cutting new fabric.  Then I painted the frame in Old White Chalk Paint by Annie Sloan.

DIY Reupholstered Chair Makeover and Lessons Learned - by Girl in the Garage

This is where I admit that I changed my mind about the fabric several times.  I originally chose grainsack for the seat and blue and white silk floral for the back, but I cut the grainsack a little too small and didn’t have enough left to cut a new piece.  🙁

I went through my stash a few more times and finally ended up with this red and white clearance fabric that I had over 3 yards of (plenty for mistakes LOL).  But thankfully I cut it right the first time!

DIY Reupholstered Chair Makeover and Lessons Learned - by Girl in the Garage

I attached the new fabric exactly how I saw the the old was attached – starting with the back, which wouldn’t be so obvious if I messed up.

DIY Reupholstered Chair Makeover and Lessons Learned - by Girl in the Garage

The wood edges near the upholstery were not pretty at all… but I knew they’d be hidden.

DIY Reupholstered Chair Makeover and Lessons Learned - by Girl in the Garage

Since nothing in this project happened easily, of course I couldn’t find the upholstery trim that I needed in store and so I had it overnighted from Amazon.  FYI: Ivory gimp trim matches Old White better than white gimp – I ordered both just to make sure.

DIY Reupholstered Chair Makeover and Lessons Learned - by Girl in the Garage

Hot gluing the trim was probably the easiest part of the whole project.

But in the end, every frustration was worth it!  <3

DIY Reupholstered Chair Makeover and Lessons Learned - by Girl in the Garage

I’m amazed that I had this fabric for years and never noticed how gorgeous it is.

And check out her sexyback 😉

DIY Reupholstered Chair Makeover and Lessons Learned - by Girl in the Garage DIY Reupholstered Chair Makeover and Lessons Learned - by Girl in the Garage DIY Reupholstered Chair Makeover and Lessons Learned - by Girl in the Garage

Here’s a pic with my new DIY fabric backdrop:

DIY Reupholstered Chair Makeover and Lessons Learned - by Girl in the Garage

And a before/after again:

DIY Reupholstered Chair Makeover and Lessons Learned - by Girl in the Garage

I know I do a lot of makeovers that are neutral, especially white and gray.  But red is my favorite color and this is my new favorite reupholstered chair!  I’m definitely not scared of reupholstering anymore, and I hope I’ve inspired you to try it too.

If you’ve read this entire post, you deserve an award, or at least a cookie.  😉  In the meantime, how about more Red, White, and Blue furniture makeovers from my talented friends?

29 Comments on The anything-but-boring chair, my first big reupholstery redo – Themed Furniture Makeover

1. Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces
    May 26, 2016 at 5:08 am (9 months ago)

You nailed it, Jen…literally! The fun fabric takes that piece to a whole new level and I’m proud of you for giving it a try. Bravo!

2. Susie@TheChelseaProject
    May 26, 2016 at 6:15 am (9 months ago)

Upholstery is like math. Both are hard. But YOu did a terrific job and I’m taking notes. Thank for sharing the lessons learned. Kudos on a great makeover. Susie from The Chelsea PRoject
    Susie@TheChelseaProject recently posted…Farmhouse Nightstand MakeoverMy Profile

3. Lindsay Eidahl
    May 26, 2016 at 6:36 am (9 months ago)

I love this! I want to find a piece like this to try and do too. I am scared just like you! The fabric you chose is AMAZING! Nice job for your first try!

4. Wendi Wachtel
    May 26, 2016 at 6:36 am (9 months ago)

Gorgeous fabric and fantatsic makeover! I’ve always wanted to try one of these makeovers and like you, I’ve been a bit scared to try/fail. Yours is perfect, lines, trim and all! Saving in my techniques file!
    Wendi Wachtel recently posted…DIY Americana Dresser Makeover in Red White And BlueMy Profile

5. Lucy ~ Patina Paradise
    May 26, 2016 at 6:48 am (9 months ago)

Wowzers, I remember that chair, it is now just stunning!!! You did an amazing job!

6. JonelleB
    May 26, 2016 at 9:52 am (9 months ago)

Fabulous job!! I want to give upholstery a go and I think you’ve given me the confidence to try. What kind of staple gun did you use?

7. Jolinda
    May 26, 2016 at 9:56 am (9 months ago)

I love the chair and the fact that you match up the design in the fabric. It’s beautiful.

8. Alice Gatto
    May 26, 2016 at 10:04 am (9 months ago)

The perfect match of the fabric makes the upholstery project professional! Love this photo tutorial. Thanks!

9. Stacy @ Anastasia Vintage
    May 26, 2016 at 1:38 pm (9 months ago)

I remember that chair! You really did such a great job for your first big upholstery project. Removing staples is a huuuuuuge pain, but kudos to you for sticking with it! Be sure to rest your hands for a while! 🙂

10. Paula@SweetPea
    May 26, 2016 at 1:58 pm (9 months ago)

You did a beautiful job on both the paint and upholstery of this chair. Your efforts were well worth it because this piece looks marvelous now!
    Paula@SweetPea recently posted…Drop Leaf Table MakeoverMy Profile

11. Mary
    May 26, 2016 at 2:03 pm (9 months ago)

She’s right scaredy cats, just get started! What’s the worst that can happen? You’ll have to do it again! Lovely chair by the way, and that fabric is fantastic.

12. Marcie Lovett
    May 26, 2016 at 2:12 pm (9 months ago)

Wow! Magnificent transformation! You make it look not so scary to tackle an upholstery project.

13. Kathy Owen
    May 26, 2016 at 2:58 pm (9 months ago)

Gorgeous Jen. I love the fabric. Glad you changed your mind from the first choices.

14. SUE
    May 26, 2016 at 3:03 pm (9 months ago)

I ALWAY WONDERED ABOUT THE FOAM! DOES IT HAVE TO BE REPLACED? IS THERE A SMELL TO IT BEING OLD? BUT I JUST LOVE YOUR RED FABIC!!!

15. Nancy @ Slightly Coastal
    May 26, 2016 at 4:03 pm (9 months ago)

Jen! This chair turned out so amazing! I have a chair sitting in my room right now that needs the same treatment. I too have been putting it off for way to long. Maybe I’ll put it on the summer to do list. The fabric on the chair is gorgeous.
    Nancy @ Slightly Coastal recently posted…End of School Year PartyMy Profile

16. KitsyKeelSmith
    May 26, 2016 at 4:31 pm (9 months ago)

Jen, I am so glad you took the time to match the print just perfectly. Some do not take that time and it shows. Yours is perfection.

17. Kim Jones
    May 26, 2016 at 9:09 pm (9 months ago)

Jen, you are definitely braver than I! I just hand over the reupholstering jobs to my Mom!! Your chair is wonderful, love the fabric. Great job on the finish!

18. Karin Chudy (ART IS BEAUTY)
    May 27, 2016 at 6:35 am (9 months ago)

oh my GOSH!! You just game me a head slap moment. I always just had it stuck in my head that I would have to do upholstered piping (can’t sew)around the edges so I always passed these chairs up..The GIMP trim…I can’t believe I forgot about it!! You may have just created a monster now when I see these kinds of chairs! LOVE IT!
    Karin Chudy (ART IS BEAUTY) recently posted…Steel Blue Antique Buffet Makeover ~Themed Furniture DayMy Profile

19. Tara C
    May 27, 2016 at 7:33 am (9 months ago)

The chair turned out beautiful! I sincerely love that fabric. I want to give this a try, but can’t figure out how you finished the back top part of the chair. Can you please give some details on that step?

20. Christy@ Confessions of a Serial Do-it-Yourselfer
    May 27, 2016 at 7:46 am (9 months ago)

WOW!! This turned out so beautifully, Jen! You really did an amazing job! I’m with ya on the staples, but there is an upholstery staple remover you can buy that should make your next job much easier. I bought one after one of my readers told me about it. Great job, Girl! XO
    Christy@ Confessions of a Serial Do-it-Yourselfer recently posted…Sew Easy Footstool CoverMy Profile

21. Tami @ Curb Alert!
    May 27, 2016 at 11:34 am (9 months ago)

Good for you finally taking on the project that you feared jumping into. It turned out amazing. Red is my favorite color and I just love the bits of blue in the fabric as well. Beautiful!
    ~Tami

22. julie
    May 28, 2016 at 10:12 am (9 months ago)

This turned out beautiful!!! THAT FABRIC is gorgeous! For some weird reason I tend to shy away from red, and therefore have NO red anywhere in my home, but I am incorporating some in my Master Bedroom makeover currently in progress…. Hey, I wanted to add a tip that will help you especially if there are more upholstery projects in your future… i always pulled staples with my pliers too…for YEARS!! I knew there were better tools, but i thought they would be expensive. Until, i found the Dritz Upholstery Staple Puller at Hobby Lobby. It is $10, and ONLY $6 after their coupon!!!!!! Get one, seriously, it makes A WORLD of difference. And i am text screaming this, because i couldnt believe how much easier it was… it has a special angle that pulls the stapple right out, with ease!! It does seem to get a little dull at the tip after about 200-300 staples , but it still works better than pliers and for $6, you could almost afford a new one for each project!!

23. Sherry Stuifbergen
    January 26, 2017 at 8:07 am (1 month ago)

This project inspires me since I have a chair just like this in my basement! I don’t have a lot of painted furniture. My wood is dark too. I am book marking this project. Thank you. I am scared of upholstery projects. I should just dive in.

January 31, 2017 at 11:11 pm (4 weeks ago)

Sherry, you should dive in – you can do it! Just take it one step at a time. 🙂

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on The anything-but-boring chair, my first big reupholstery redo – Themed Furniture Makeover

1. […] The Anything but Boring Chair, My First Big Furniture Reupholster Redo – Themed Furniture Make… […]