Distressed Stenciled Round Table Makeover

Do you remember the glamorous gold and white stenciled table I painted a couple weeks ago?  Well my hubby (who usually complains about all my furniture around here… LOL) insisted that we have to keep it.  That is a huge compliment to me.  😉   (I’ve actually only kept a handful of pieces that I’ve painted!)

So of course I’m not going to say No….  but I did want to do another round table makeover with this awesome stencil so I’d have a piece to take to my booth.  Here’s my yard sale table before

BEFORE:  How to update an old table with a fabulous stencil and layered paint technique.  girlinthegarage.net

It was manufactured in Grand Rapids, Michigan by Imperial Furniture Co., which existed from 1903-1954.

Don’t you feel smarter now?  You’re welcome.

It had also already had a makeover.  I have never glazed furniture, but I imagine there is a right way and a wrong way to do it.  I’m pretty sure this is the wrong way.

Hello, streaks!

I gave the table two light coats of a Valspar paint sample from Lowe’s – Cathedral Stone.  (Mostly gray with a hint of taupe.)  I knew I wanted to use the Lisboa stencil from Royal Design Studio again, but I didn’t want it too bright against the gray – so I mixed some Old Ochre Chalk Paint® and Modern Masters Silver metallic paint and got busy stenciling.

When it was all dry, I lightly sanded all over to distress and then I used both clear and dark wax to make it look more worn and aged.  (Here’s a tutorial about how to use clear and dark wax together.)

I’m really happy with it!  It’s quite different from my glam gold table but I think they’re both fabulous in their own way.

Here’s a closeup of the top:

No more streaky glaze on the base!  (I love that the old color compliments this piece so well after I distressed it.)

How to update an old table with a fabulous stencil and layered paint technique.  girlinthegarage.net How to update an old table with a fabulous stencil and layered paint technique.  girlinthegarage.net How to update an old table with a fabulous stencil and layered paint technique.  girlinthegarage.net Which table do you think wears it better – gold glam or distressed gray?

The Lisboa Tile Stencil - 2 ways, 2 different tables

Don’t be shy – I read all comments!   🙂

Recent Awesome Posts:

* Burlap Message Board Inspired by Ballard Designs {Rock Your Knockoff Tour}

* Shabby Chic Decoupage Organizer

* September in Review

13 Comments on Distressed Stenciled Round Table Makeover

1. Kate
    October 7, 2014 at 1:45 pm (3 years ago)

I LOVE both of them but the Gold Glam table just totally WOW’s me every time I see it!! Your work is AMAZING and SO INSPIRING! Thanks for doing what you do 🙂

2. Lindsay Eidahl
    October 7, 2014 at 2:03 pm (3 years ago)

It turned out gorgeous Jen! I love it. I have a similar table from my grandmother that I haven’t touched because it is still in such good condition. It sits in our living room. I love what you have done to this table!
    Lindsay Eidahl recently posted…Halloween Scarecrow Treat Cups {No Candy Involved}My Profile

3. Lori shuman
    October 7, 2014 at 2:41 pm (3 years ago)

Love, Love, Love the subtle effects you used on the grey table!! I want it!!! Well done. L

4. Chelsea
    October 7, 2014 at 2:53 pm (3 years ago)

They are both fabulous. I think i would have to say that the gold wore it better but the grey is the one I would take home with me, so maybe they are just too equally amazing but different to compare?

5. Beth
    October 7, 2014 at 4:30 pm (3 years ago)

They are both fantastic and unique in their own way! My first choice would be the grey table, more my style but love them both!

6. Pam bell
    October 7, 2014 at 7:30 pm (3 years ago)

Love the muted look with the gray! My style! Love it!

7. Deborah Gullett
    October 7, 2014 at 11:13 pm (3 years ago)

I love the grey table! Stencil looks great on both but my favorite it the grey!

8. Ms. B
    October 8, 2014 at 3:40 pm (3 years ago)

My preference, the grey table, but both look great with the stencil!

9. Debbie
    October 10, 2014 at 9:46 am (3 years ago)

Love the gray table, but the selection really depends on which would go with your décor. As both table are lovely, but the gray is my fav since it would work perfectly at my house.

10. Gail
    August 23, 2015 at 5:32 pm (2 years ago)

I recently bought a table very similar to this at an estate sale. Someone had TRIED to refinish it. They used a sander and took off way more of the finish than should have been done. I am not afraid to paint it.. I just don’t know what to do with the damaged top. Any advice?

September 6, 2015 at 7:18 pm (2 years ago)

Gail, if you’re planning to paint the top anyway, I wouldn’t worry too much about repairing the finish. If there are any gouges or scratches I would use wood filler and just try to get it as smooth as possible before painting. If the wood has been sanded down to bare wood, you might want to use primer first. Hope that helps – good luck! Jen

11. Brian Cook
    August 14, 2017 at 7:18 am (2 months ago)

While looking online this week I found a table very similar to this one I may have to go back and buy it now I like the gray one myself I’m more into the neutral colors great job great job

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Distressed Stenciled Round Table Makeover

1. […] painted it in the same grayish latex paint that I used on my distressed stenciled round table a couple weeks […]