French Decoupage Desk {Themed Furniture Makeover Day}

It’s Themed Furniture Makeover Day!  This month’s theme is decoupage, and I’m no stranger to updating furniture with some pretty paper and Mod Podge.  😉  Here’s my decoupage desk (be sure to scroll all the way down to see my friends’ projects too):

Themed Furniture Makeover Day {decoupage}.  See how I transformed a vintage desk with Chalk Paint, pretty paper, and Mod Podge!  girlinthegarage.net

This was a commissioned project, and I was thrilled when my client asked me to give this desk a French-themed makeover with decoupage for her daughter’s birthday.  (French?  Decoupage?  Just my style!)  First I gave it a good sanding to smooth out some peeling areas.

I planned to do two layers and some distressing, so first I painted a layer of Old Ochre Chalk Paint®.  The water rings bled through this layer, but it was okay since I planned to make the desk dark.  If I had wanted to keep the desk a light color I would’ve used a shellac primer before painting.

I sanded to smooth out the brushstrokes and then added two coats of Graphite Chalk Paint®.   Then I lightly sanded again- especially the edges to give it a distressed, naturally aged look.  Both clear and dark wax were used to make the desk look more black.  (Graphite with just clear wax looks dark gray.)

For the drawers, I used matte Mod Podge to glue French-themed scrapbook paper on the fronts.  One layer of Mod Podge under and then another thin layer on top after a few minutes.

The hardware also got Graphite Chalk Paint® and both clear and dark wax.

I LOVE how it turned out – but more importantly, my client and her daughter love it too!

You can download and print your own “I’d rather be in Paris” art (and another French-inspired art print) HERE.

The reddish book (second from the bottom) was one of my French textbooks from high school.  The others I’ve collected over time, and the top two I brought on our trips to Paris.   😉

Below you can see where some Old Ochre and also the wood underneath are peeking through.

Want more decoupage furniture inspiration?

Here are 16 other creative ideas:

16 Creative Ways to Decoupage Furniture

And even more inspiration below from my friends!

52 Comments on French Decoupage Desk {Themed Furniture Makeover Day}

August 31, 2014 at 9:57 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you so much Christy- you are too sweet! 🙂

August 31, 2014 at 9:57 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you Melissa! So happy to be touring with you!

August 31, 2014 at 9:58 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you Shanna! Have a happy Labor Day holiday! 🙂

1. Paula@SweetPea
    August 28, 2014 at 5:33 pm (2 years ago)

I adore everything about this desk and know that the young girl that now uses it shows it off to all of her friends when they come over. Thanks for the tip for using clear and dark wax on black graphite chalk paint.
    Paula@SweetPea recently posted…Media Cabinet Makeover with DecoupageMy Profile

August 31, 2014 at 9:58 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you Paula! Hope you’re enjoying the holiday weekend 🙂

August 31, 2014 at 9:59 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you so much Beth! Hope you’re having a great holiday weekend!

August 31, 2014 at 10:00 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you so much Deana! I love black and white together also. 🙂

2. Wendi @ H2OBungalow
    August 29, 2014 at 6:50 am (2 years ago)

This is so pretty. I would take this desk home and decorate a whole room around it in a minute! Just love how you mixed the paper styles on the drawer fronts too:)
    Wendi @ H2OBungalow recently posted…Americana Decoupage ChairsMy Profile

August 31, 2014 at 10:01 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you Wendi! This is the perfect piece to create a room around- and it’s just my style! (Too bad I couldn’t keep it) 😉

3. Christy @ Our Southern Home
    August 29, 2014 at 7:08 am (2 years ago)

What girl of any age wouldn’t love this!!! It turned out just beautifully!!! Love touring with you! ~Christy
    Christy @ Our Southern Home recently posted…Decoupaged DeskMy Profile

August 31, 2014 at 10:02 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you Christy!! 🙂 It’s great touring with you also!

August 31, 2014 at 10:03 pm (2 years ago)

Kathy you are too sweet. Thank you for the compliment. 🙂 I have done a lot of decoupage projects, LOL.

4. Jeanette
    August 29, 2014 at 8:30 pm (2 years ago)

I’m so in love with the color on this desk from the moment I saw it. I took down your steps so I can recreate it! Fingers~crossed! You are a decoupage expert! Beautiful job! ~Jeanette
    Jeanette recently posted…Share Your ProjectMy Profile

August 31, 2014 at 10:05 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you Jeanette! Let me know if you try it 🙂

5. Susan
    August 30, 2014 at 7:34 am (2 years ago)

Love this!! This is one of your best pieces!! I’m sure she loves it.

August 31, 2014 at 10:07 pm (2 years ago)

Susan, thank you! XO

6. Julie
    September 5, 2014 at 7:23 am (2 years ago)

LOVE this!!! So beautiful! I’ve been wanting to makeover my desk in the bedroom and this would be so beautiful in there. Definitely going to have to give this a try!

7. Martha
    September 11, 2014 at 3:08 am (2 years ago)

It’s beautiful and so well done!

September 14, 2014 at 10:56 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you so much Martha!

September 20, 2014 at 10:16 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you so much Mari! 🙂

8. Helen
    October 21, 2014 at 2:35 am (2 years ago)

Wow, wow, wow…………how awesome is that black and white dresser. I envy the amazing creativity you ladies have. I live in New Zealand and am not familiar with what “Mod Podgel” is. It is an amazing country but it seems to take years for the latest things to reach here….!!! Does it seal the paper so it won’t rip. Best regards, Helen.

February 17, 2015 at 9:34 am (2 years ago)

Thank you so much Nikki! I do love to decoupage also 🙂

9. Barngirl
    April 30, 2015 at 4:12 pm (1 year ago)

I have a dresser that is ugly as sin and would like to do something like you did here. Will that treatment work on metal? Thanks!

May 4, 2015 at 10:50 am (1 year ago)

Hi Barngirl,
      I know that Annie Sloan Chalk Paint will adhere to metal, and from the bit of research I’ve done, Mod Podge should work fine on metal too. If it’s a very smooth surface you may want to rough it up a little first. Hope that helps- good luck!

10. Kelsi
    September 4, 2015 at 12:35 pm (12 months ago)

is just one layer of modge podge on top enough to seal it from scratching/wearing? Did you put some clear wax on as well?

September 6, 2015 at 7:14 pm (12 months ago)

Hi Kelsi,
      If I Mod Podge on a horizontal surface (or with thin paper), I’ll do a few layers for extra protection. On these drawers I think I only did one layer since it’s vertical and the scrapbook paper was thick like cardstock. I don’t wax over the paper- just the painted areas.
      Hope that helps! Jen

11. Shane Ann
    February 27, 2016 at 5:29 pm (6 months ago)

I have already painted my furniture with chalk paint and want to apply photos with decoupage. Can I do that over the chalk paint? I have not applied the wax yet. Thanks for your help!

February 27, 2016 at 8:48 pm (6 months ago)

Shane Ann, you shouldn’t have any problems adding decoupage over Chalk Paint. I always use Mod Podge- is that what you’re planning to use? However I do not suggest waxing over the decoupage. Hope that helps – good luck!

• Shane Ann
        February 27, 2016 at 9:14 pm (6 months ago)

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes I was planning to use Mod Podge. Do I need to print the photos I want to use on copy paper or is photo paper okay?

6Pingbacks & Trackbacks on French Decoupage Desk {Themed Furniture Makeover Day}

1. […] 1.  French Decoupage Desk (Themed Furniture Makeover Day) […]

2. […] * French Decoupage Desk {Themed Furniture Makeover Day} […]

3. […] Girl in the Garage gave a French theme makeover, with paint and decoupage, to a vintage desk. […]

4. […] am quite enjoying using wallpaper on furniture recently and this post from Girl in the Garage shows how it can give a real ‘WOW’ factor to an, otherwise ordinary […]