DIY: T-Shirt into Infinity Scarf

Easy DIY Tutorial: T-Shirt into an Infinity Scarf.  girlinthegarage.net

I’m a girl who loves to accessorize.  There’s just something about adding an extra detail to an outfit with a pop of color or a fun print.  Scarves are a great way to achieve that look without much effort.  I have about 10, but I could easily have so many more if I’d let myself buy them!  Now that I have a DIY solution, I see many more scarves in my future.  ;)

1.  Find an old t-shirt in your closet or head to Goodwill and buy one for a few dollars.  (Larger sizes and longer shirts work best.)

Easy DIY Tutorial: T-Shirt into an Infinity Scarf.  girlinthegarage.net

2.  For sizing, I grabbed an infinity scarf that I already own and laid it over the shirt before cutting.  The width is 14 inches.

Easy DIY Tutorial: T-Shirt into an Infinity Scarf.  girlinthegarage.net

3.  Then I cut across below the neck and above the bottom seam.

Easy DIY Tutorial: T-Shirt into an Infinity Scarf.  girlinthegarage.net

4.  I flipped the pieces so that the “good” sides (outside of shirt) were facing each other and then ran my sewing machine across the top and bottom edges.  The longer edges are left unfinished just like the store-bought scarf I used as inspiration.

Easy DIY Tutorial: T-Shirt into an Infinity Scarf.  girlinthegarage.net

I’m in love with the softness and the pattern on this scarf – and I can see wearing it with several different outfits!

Easy DIY Tutorial: T-Shirt into an Infinity Scarf.  girlinthegarage.net

Frenchie likes it too.  ;)

Easy DIY Tutorial: T-Shirt into an Infinity Scarf.  girlinthegarage.net

Do you have an old shirt you’d like to repurpose into a scarf?  I’d love to hear your ideas!

Recent Awesome Posts:

* The Repurposed Wardrobe {9 Upcycle Projects}

* Midcentury Makeover with a Surprise

Like what you see?  Keep up with all my DIY adventures by signing up HERE.

19 Comments on DIY: T-Shirt into Infinity Scarf

1. Vickie
    March 7, 2014 at 4:57 pm (12 months ago)

Such a good idea! Thanks!

• Maye
      March 17, 2014 at 12:49 pm (12 months ago)

Great scarf, thank for the tutorial.

2. Crystal
    March 7, 2014 at 8:26 pm (12 months ago)

Super cute!! I can’t believe it’s made out of an old shirt. The print is so pretty. Great idea! Pinning :)

March 13, 2014 at 11:32 pm (12 months ago)

Thank you Crystal! I love the print too, it’s great for my spring outfits. :)

3. Sandi Nakoneczny
    March 7, 2014 at 9:43 pm (12 months ago)

I also love scarves, and what a great way to use an older t-shirt. I see a trip to the thrift store in my future also. Thanks for such great information.

4. Susan
    March 8, 2014 at 9:37 am (12 months ago)

I’m looking for some xlarge shirts. Looks great!!

5. Niki Curry
    March 12, 2014 at 10:56 pm (12 months ago)

This Is a great idea, the blue pattern is so pretty! I made a scarf the other day using a similar technique. I used a huge (and super wide) maternity shirt and just cut the top off at the neckline and cut off the bottom hem. I’m going to use your technique next time :)

March 13, 2014 at 11:28 pm (12 months ago)

Thank you so much Niki! A maternity shirt definitely would have a lot of fabric to work with- that’s a great idea! (Especially if you already have some that you’re not planning on wearing again.)

6. Emily Marie
    September 26, 2014 at 7:15 pm (5 months ago)

Such a great idea. You could easily upcycle a tee into a scarf that still matches with your regular wardrobe. Love it!

7. Tammy
    October 24, 2014 at 1:27 pm (4 months ago)

Love this idea and can’t wait to try it!

8Pingbacks & Trackbacks on DIY: T-Shirt into Infinity Scarf

1. […] a charming Infinity Scarf made from a T-Shirt by Jen the host of “Girl in the Garage”!  Jen spends most of her […]

2. […] 1.  How to Turn a T-Shirt into Infinity Scarf […]

3. […] How to make an infinity scarf out of an old t-shirt tutorial by Girl In the Garage. […]