Gilded Twin Tables

Update:  This makeover was featured in the February 2014 issue of Romantic Homes magazine!  Click here to read more about it.

Hi friends!  I’m back and fully recovered from vacation.  I got plenty of snuggle time with my boys (and dogs) the past few days, did lots of laundry, and went through about a bazillion pieces of junk mail.  Later this week I’ll give you all the details of our trip.

Today though, I’m sharing a pair of tables that I fixed up and painted.  This is another find that my mom picked up for me while she was out yard sale-ing.  🙂

It took me a long time to decide what to do with them.  (And I was really NOT looking forward to painting a pair of tables- I have about 4 other sets of tables and chairs that have been waiting for months to be worked on!)  Finally I chose Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Provence (I also used it on this table and this bookshelf), AS clear wax, and Rustoleum metallic gold paint for the edges.

First I did some major sanding on the top of the tables because they were pretty rough.  Then I removed the knobs and painted both tables with the Chalk Paint.

Then for fun I added metallic gold paint around the edges and inside the legs (similar to what I did on my vanity’s legs).  I didn’t realize it until I opened the can but I bought oil-based gold paint – oops!

It was my first experience with oil-based paint and it was not that easy to use.  I kept having to stir it and it was very difficult to clean up- but I loved the way it made the trim look gilded!  A stunning effect.

Beware of getting oil-based paint on your skin!  It is near impossible to get off – that is, if you’re just using soap and water like I did.  After scrubbing for about a half hour and getting most of it off my hands (but none off the paintbrush), I googled how to properly clean up and learned I should use a mixture which includes mineral spirits.  So like a good painter I went and bought some the next day, but I have yet to try it!  I had good intentions but it’s not the worst thing in the world if I end up having to throw out an inexpensive little paintbrush.

I finished them up with a few coats of Annie Sloan’s clear wax….  I’m loving how they turned out!

What do you think of my gilded twin tables?  These will be available for sale in my booth soon.

I’m happy to be back – I missed you all!

Miss any of my recent posts?  Catch up here:

One-Year Anniversary of Blogging

Easy Fall Burlap Banner & Mantel Decor

Sunshine Table & HomeRight Paint Sprayer Review

24 Comments on Gilded Twin Tables

October 3, 2013 at 11:46 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you Susan- I love the little peek of gold inside the legs also. 😉

1. Melanie
    September 30, 2013 at 9:44 am (3 years ago)

Lovely upcycle!

2. Marcee
    September 30, 2013 at 5:21 pm (3 years ago)

They are absolutely marvelous! My goodness …. no comparison to the icky brown. Just amazing, brand new side tables. I can see storing lots of clear glassware in them. Someone is really going to enjoy these.

Would be great if all of us had patience to restore furniture. I do not.

October 3, 2013 at 11:45 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks so much for your comment Marcee! I would restore furniture all day long if I had the time. 😉

October 3, 2013 at 11:44 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you so much Heather!

3. Susan
    October 4, 2013 at 6:18 am (3 years ago)

These came out great! I redid I the EXACT same pair myself a few months ago! I painted mine pair with a custom coral chalk paint.. I love the gilding on yours too!
    Susan recently posted…It’s Fall and Time For Planting!My Profile

4. Jodie
    October 4, 2013 at 10:44 pm (3 years ago)

These are amazing! I love how you painted the inside of the legs the gold as well. So creative!
    Jodie recently posted…B & A: Old White ChairMy Profile

October 6, 2013 at 7:19 pm (3 years ago)

Yeay! Thanks so much Clydia!! 🙂

October 6, 2013 at 7:53 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks Elisha! 🙂

5. Helen
    October 6, 2013 at 10:54 pm (3 years ago)

Wow those are gorgeous! I love the colors.

6. Yvonne @ Sunnyside Up-Stairs
    October 9, 2013 at 1:19 pm (3 years ago)

What a beautiful treatment! I clicked on your link because I have the exact same end table (found in my family’s storage room). I painted it quite a while ago in my daughter’s room and called it our Mellow Yellow Side Table. Do you think I could get away with gold on this yellow too? If I do, would it be acceptable to link back to this page as my inspiration?
    Yvonne @ Sunnyside Up-Stairs recently posted…Toddler’s Bookshelf BenchMy Profile

October 10, 2013 at 10:14 pm (3 years ago)

Yvonne, you can definitely link back to me- thanks for asking! The table is adorable in yellow. It would look great with another color on the edges as an accent. What colors are in your daughter’s room? You could do gold, white, black- or any other color that would tie it in with her decor. Good luck- I’m sure it will look beautiful!

7. Michelle Robertson
    November 22, 2013 at 12:35 pm (3 years ago)

Omg! I have one of these side tables! I made mine over with a homemade chalk paint and clear wax. I even used a similar color. I sanded back edges to reveal the wood underneath. I painted the inside of the cabinet a contrasting cream color and then stenciled birds on a branch in the original color.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Gilded Twin Tables