$6 Vintage Vanity Bench Makeover

A few weeks back, my mom and I took the baby out on a Goodwill shopping spree.  (We have to teach him young, right?)   🙂

We hit a couple stores – the first one was a bust but I scored big at the second one!  I brought home this lovely once-glamorous vintage vanity bench for only $6 (and also this china cabinet which I’ll be revealing for Furniture Fixer Uppers day in a couple weeks).

I bet this vanity bench was part of a gorgeous set a few decades ago – but now time-worn and looking rather sad.

*Friends, today is Trash to Treasure Tuesday with my creative blogging friends – see their photos and project links at the end of this blog post.  Also, this post contains some affiliate links so that you can easily find the products that I use and recommend.  You can find all of my favorite DIY product recommendations Here.

First up for this vanity bench makeover, the seat had to come off.  It was easy because there were only four little screws and brackets holding it in place.  I just ripped the black paper off and threw it away.

Next, the tassel trim was removed and then I started on the fabric.  Typically I use a small flat head screwdriver to get the staples out, while pulling on the fabric.  You can use a staple remover if you have one.  Either way, be careful gathering all the staples so one doesn’t end up on the floor and get stepped on.  (Which almost happened to me!)

The padding inside was falling apart.  So many decades of use had really taken its toll.  Also, the wood seat was sturdy but there were splinters everywhere – something else to watch out for!   (Ask me how I know.  Ouch)

Next I cut new 2-inch foam padding for a soft cushy seat, and some soft cotton batting for the next layer.  Batting gives it a little extra cushion support and helps protect the fabric so the wood corners don’t poke through it.

I stapled the batting over the wood/padding with a heavy duty stapler, and then stapled new fabric over the batting.  The fabric was a clearance remnant (yeay for cheap).  The padding, batting, and fabric were all from Hobby Lobby.   You can visit this chair makeover post to learn even more details about recovering a seat.

The black paper underneath was a good idea from the initial design, to hide the wonky staples, fabric edges, and splintery wood – so I cut some poster board and stapled it on before screwing the seat back on.  It looks so pretty now even from the bottom.  🙂

The frame was painted in Picket Fence by Fusion Mineral Paint.  Fusion has a good, thick coverage and doesn’t require a topcoat which is pretty cool.  (Although you can use their Tough Coat topcoat if it’s a highly used piece like a tabletop.)

And here’s the vintage vanity bench makeover now:

DIY Vintage vanity bench makeover - reupholstered and then updated with Fusion Mineral Paint. By Girl in the Garage DIY Vintage vanity bench makeover - reupholstered and then updated with Fusion Mineral Paint. By Girl in the Garage

The fabric remnant was just the right size, with a little leftover.   So perfect for this sweet seat!

Here’s the before and after again:

I wish I had a vanity to use it with!  I know it would look gorgeous as part of a set.  I’ll most likely hold onto this piece for my next market which is May 12th.  I’d love for you to come see me if you’re in the area!  Visit Three Little Birds Market on Facebook Here for more details.

Three Little Birds Market

Sit tight, friends – it’s time for Trash to Treasure Tuesday with my blogging girlfriends, where we share thrifted and yard sale items transformed.  Our goal is to teach and inspire you!

Trash to Treasure Tuesday Makeovers

Below are the Before photos – click the links underneath to see the After photos and to learn how they did it:

Trash to Treasure Tuesday Makeovers - March 2018
1.  Prodigal Pieces
2.  Bless’er House
3.  Confessions of a Serial DIYer
4.  Artsy Chicks Rule

Join the GITG Community

When you join this thriving online community of 75,000 creative souls, you'll be inspired to discover hidden artistic talents and learn skills to boldly face DIY projects with confidence.

You'll also receive my free guide "Just Paint It: 7 Tips for Transforming Furniture with Confidence."

Powered by ConvertKit

on $6 Vintage Vanity Bench Makeover

1. Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces
    March 13, 2018 at 5:33 am (8 months ago)

Not only was that a sweet find, but you gave it a fabulous new life. So pretty!

• Jen, Girl in the Garage
      March 13, 2018 at 9:54 pm (8 months ago)

Thanks Larissa! It was a special bonus to that china cabinet I found – can’t wait to finish that one and share it 🙂

2. Debra Wise
    March 13, 2018 at 8:15 am (8 months ago)

Gorgeous makeover! Did you have to prime the metal frame before painting?

• Jen, Girl in the Garage
      March 13, 2018 at 9:52 pm (8 months ago)

Thanks Debra! Since this is a small piece, I started painting without primer. I figured I’d take a chance and I could go back and prime if I had problems. I used about three coats of Fusion Mineral Paint and didn’t have any issues. If you’re doing a bigger piece you may want to use Fusion’s Ultra Grip product (which I haven’t tried yet) over metal first. Normally I use Zinsser BIN shellac primer on wood, I’m not sure how it would work on metal though. Hope that helps!

3. Marcie Lovett
    March 13, 2018 at 9:12 am (8 months ago)

You definitely brought the glamour back, Jen. Beautiful little bench could be used in a dressing room, bathroom or entry. What a great find!

• Jen, Girl in the Garage
      March 13, 2018 at 9:48 pm (8 months ago)

Thank you so much, Marcie! I hope someone will love it again like it deserves to be loved. <3

4. kristin howard
    March 13, 2018 at 12:26 pm (8 months ago)

Fabulous re-do, Dah-link! (shade of Zsa Zsa and Eva)

5. Susan
    March 13, 2018 at 2:51 pm (8 months ago)

I guess I have no taste because I liked the fringe…

• girlfromwva
      March 13, 2018 at 5:43 pm (8 months ago)

i like the fringe, too. 😌

• Jen, Girl in the Garage
      March 13, 2018 at 9:46 pm (8 months ago)

Hi Susan, I have nothing against fringe. 🙂 New fringe might’ve looked pretty if I had chosen a different fabric for the seat. Maybe a solid color so it wouldn’t look too busy. Thanks for visiting and leaving me a comment!

6. Sandy
    March 13, 2018 at 4:48 pm (8 months ago)

This is EXACTLY like the vanity bench I had years ago. Wish I had been so inspired to repurpose it. Is it for sale? I’m in the Cincinnati area.

• Jen, Girl in the Garage
      March 13, 2018 at 10:00 pm (8 months ago)

Oh wow, how neat! This will be for sale, I’m planning to bring it to my next market which is in May (details above in the blog post). I’m in northwest Indiana, not too far but still a good distance from Cincinnati.

7. Tammy
    March 13, 2018 at 6:22 pm (8 months ago)

I absolutely love it! You did an amazing job!

8. MaryJean
    March 13, 2018 at 7:19 pm (8 months ago)

Just popped over from Christy’s site and I’m amazed at the transformation of this sweet little seat! I can see why you would want to keep it. It looks great!

• Jen, Girl in the Garage
      March 13, 2018 at 10:01 pm (8 months ago)

Thanks so much, MaryJean! I appreciate the kind words and thanks for stopping by. 🙂

9. Mary
    March 13, 2018 at 10:25 pm (8 months ago)

Love what you did with this bench. Beautifully staged, too! Thanks for sharing.

10. Marie
    March 15, 2018 at 10:49 am (8 months ago)

It’s so pretty and feminine in white and the fabric is gorgeous! I’m sure it’ll be gone lickety-split at the market.

11. Leslie
    March 15, 2018 at 11:32 am (8 months ago)

Hi a newbie here! I cannot for the life of me figure out how to pin the cute bench makeover – where is the Pinterest link on your website? Thanks!

• Leslie
      March 15, 2018 at 11:35 am (8 months ago)

Nevermind – rookie error – found the P button at the top – I was looking w/in each pic… :-}