The Molly Sideboard Makeover

Confession: Occasionally I name my furniture makeovers.  Do you too?  I don’t all the time, but sometimes when I’m working on a bunch of different pieces at the same time for a market.  It can get pretty confusing explaining to my husband which one I’m ready to paint or which one needs stained, like “the tall dresser from the yard sale” or “the fancy table with two drawers.”  So this piece we affectionately named Molly, after the woman I bought it from.  (The antique vanity from last month was named Michelle.)   🙂

I saw this sideboard immediately from the car when my mom and I pulled up to a yard sale.  You know how some things just catch your eye?  I hurriedly walked over and kind of hovered around it so no one else would feel comfortable getting near my personal space.  hahaha

Yard Sale Antique Sideboard Makeover - Girl in the Garage

I have never seen another table like this (so unique and gorgeous) before.  I’ve been asked several times what I thought it was originally used for, and I think it’s a sideboard or entryway table.

**Friends, today is Trash to Treasure Day with four of my talented blogging girlfriends, so be sure to see their makeovers at the end of this post!   Also, this tutorial contains some affiliate links so that you can easily find some of the products that I use and recommend.  Thank you.

Unfortunately the veneer was coming off the top, the back panel was damaged, and…

Yard Sale Antique Sideboard Makeover - Girl in the Garage

the legs and feet were a little bit corroded.  The seller’s husband had found this lovely piece abandoned, and she planned to refinish it but hadn’t gotten around to it.  (Lucky for me!)

Yard Sale Antique Sideboard Makeover - Girl in the Garage

The emblem inside reads Berkey & Gay Furniture, which I discovered was manufactured in Grand Rapids, Michigan (not too far away from me), between 1929-1948.

Yard Sale Antique Sideboard Makeover - Girl in the Garage

Guy in the Garage worked on the table top, and after removing the veneer we discovered the wood underneath was not in good condition at all.  Bummer!

Yard Sale Antique Sideboard Makeover - Girl in the Garage

The easiest option seemed to be to make a new top.

He cut a new 1/4 inch maple panel for the top, put down a ton of Liquid Nails (see below – haha), and clamped/weighted it down for 24+ hours.

Yard Sale Antique Sideboard Makeover - Girl in the Garage

The glue seeped out on the edges a little, but he trimmed it off with a box knife after it dried.

So much prettier…

Yard Sale Antique Sideboard Makeover - Girl in the Garage

Molly also got a new back panel (out of hardboard).

Yard Sale Antique Sideboard Makeover - Girl in the Garage

The legs and feet ended up being fine after I lightly sanded and then painted them.

I primed the piece (find my favorite primer Here) and painted it in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint – Old Ochre.  The only part of the wood that was almost flawless was the drawers, so I left them unpainted.  I love the contrast of the paint and wood!

Yard Sale Antique Sideboard Makeover - Girl in the Garage

I lightly distressed all over to make the details stand out more and used Fusion Mineral Tough Coat as a topcoat.

That part on the side reminds me of an upside down fleur-de-lis.  (I am seriously obsessed with this sideboard makeover and I kind of wish I kept it for myself!)

Yard Sale Antique Sideboard Makeover- Girl in the Garage

Here’s a closeup of the front details….   <3

Yard Sale Antique Sideboard Makeover- Girl in the Garage

This sideboard sold at my last market – Hunt & Gather in July.

Yard Sale Antique Sideboard Makeover - Girl in the Garage

My next market is this upcoming weekend (which is why I’ve been doing lots of new makeovers and therefore been quiet on my blog lately) – I would love to see you there!  🙂

Hunt and Gather Market

A few more details…

Yard Sale Antique Sideboard Makeover- Girl in the Garage

Here’s a reminder of the sideboard makeover, before and after:

Yard Sale Antique Sideboard Makeover - Girl in the Garage

The sideboard was a popular piece in my market booth, and I’m happy she went to a good home.

I hope this tutorial has inspired you and that now you won’t overlook a beautiful piece just because it has a damaged top!

Keep scrolling for my friends’ fabulous Trash to Treasure Makeovers…

Trash to Treasure Makeovers

Below are the Before photos – click the links underneath to see the After photos and learn how they transformed them.

Trash to Treasure Makeovers - Sept. 2017
1. Prodigal Pieces
2. Artsy Chicks Rule
3. Confessions of a Serial DIYer
4. Bless’er House

Now I’m off to go finish more pieces for this weekend’s market – which means lots more tutorials will be coming to the blog soon!  Talk soon, friend.   🙂

20 Comments on The Molly Sideboard Makeover

1. Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces
    September 12, 2017 at 3:59 am (2 weeks ago)

Jen, you scored BIG! That sure was a hot mess, but you gave it such a beautiful new life. I love it!

2. Marcie Lovett
    September 12, 2017 at 8:35 am (2 weeks ago)

Love that big, chunky piece, Jen! I have a desk I want to paint because it’s not in great shape, but it has the most beautiful inlaid drawer. Now you’ve convinced me to leave the drawer unpainted. Painting the drawer trim really brings yours together. I’m not surprised that it’s already gone.

3. Steve Robinson
    September 12, 2017 at 1:11 pm (2 weeks ago)

Beautiful work, Jen! That is a gorgeous piece of furniture. When I say the “before” picture my first thought was “I hope she doesn’t paint over those lovely drawers” and I was so pleased to see that you did not, and I agree with you the contrast between the light colored paint and the wood is absolutely stunning!

4. Rose
    September 12, 2017 at 1:23 pm (2 weeks ago)

Jen, I need to know if I painted a kitchen table with fusion paint do I need to protect it so it won’t flake off ?? My grandkids play a lot of games on it and eat snacks.

5. Lena Cox
    September 12, 2017 at 1:31 pm (2 weeks ago)

That’s just beautiful.

6. VJ
    September 12, 2017 at 2:49 pm (2 weeks ago)

Wow! What an improvement. Nice job. It’s gorgeous!!!

7. Lanita Anderson
    September 12, 2017 at 3:12 pm (2 weeks ago)

Wow! What a transformation! I love how it turned out….so pretty with the contrast of the paint and the wood! Thanks for sharing Molly….

8. Annie
    September 12, 2017 at 3:41 pm (2 weeks ago)

A very pretty piece beautiful finish I don’t see items like that in Queensland Australia so nice to seem them on your blog thanks

September 12, 2017 at 6:01 pm (2 weeks ago)

Thank you Annie. I don’t see pieces like this one often either – people must be keeping them hidden away in their homes.

9. vicki
    September 12, 2017 at 4:00 pm (2 weeks ago)

Just one word…..GORGEOUS!!!

September 12, 2017 at 5:58 pm (2 weeks ago)

Thank you so much, Vicki! 🙂

September 12, 2017 at 5:58 pm (2 weeks ago)

Hahaha! Thanks Christy! 😉

10. Naomi S.
    September 12, 2017 at 7:20 pm (2 weeks ago)

Wow, Jen! The sideboard turned out beautifully. I like that you left the wood of the drawers unpainted. It really showcases their beauty. Great makeover!

11. Jeannie
    September 12, 2017 at 7:22 pm (2 weeks ago)

Jen, You made a masterpiece. It turned out so pretty. I love the drawer contrast too. Just Beautiful!

12. Barb
    September 12, 2017 at 8:25 pm (2 weeks ago)

I love your makeover! I didn’t expect the finish, but the “white” and stain on the front look fabulous. The details and carving on this sideboard are just beautiful. You are lucky to have gotten this piece and your husband did a great job making anew top.

13. Colette
    September 13, 2017 at 9:40 am (2 weeks ago)

Stunning piece! I love that you were able to keep the drawer natural. I think the contrast shows original beauty of the wood with perfect colour of paint. The piece is incredible. I have never seen anything this piece. I would have loved to have it in my home. NO IDEA where it would fit… my home is FULL!
    Thank you for sharing all your ideas!

14. Marie
    September 13, 2017 at 11:09 am (2 weeks ago)

What a beautiful furniture find, I would’ve been guarding it too until it had my name on it. Jen, what you did with it is stunning, especially how you retained the beautiful wood grain on the drawer front. Those lovely details just pop now too. I can only imagine how hard it is going to be to part with.

September 20, 2017 at 1:43 pm (4 days ago)

Thanks so much, Marie! Molly already sold but at least I have beautiful photos to remember her, right? 🙂

15. Lauren
    September 13, 2017 at 1:42 pm (2 weeks ago)

Amazing! I love that you created the high contrast look so that gorgeous wood can still show a little bit. Best of luck at market this weekend, friend!