Distressed Stenciled Highboy Makeover

The market was fast approaching, and even though I had some really neat pieces ready to bring – a vanity, sideboard, desk, bookcase, chairs – I didn’t have a regular dresser (not that I’d hardly call this piece “regular”).  So I searched for several days and finally found this pretty oak highboy – so. much. potential.

It had a few cracks and imperfections, and several of the drawers needed repairs so that they could slide well again.  But I envisioned a rustic, feminine beauty.  This blurry photo is from the online ad, but you get the idea.

*Today is Furniture Fixer Uppers day with my friends – stick around to the end of the post to see their makeovers too!   Also, this post contains some affiliate links, at no extra cost to you, so you can easily find the products I use and recommend,

A couple of the drawers were stained inside…. I want to know, who spills ink in a drawer?  This is not the first piece I’ve encountered that has had a big ink stain inside.

I did try to cover it with primer, but decided instead to paint the drawers and then line the bottoms with paper.

The whole piece was painted in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Paris Grey and then sanded down (a little more distressed than I usually do, but this piece called for it) for a worn look.

Ever since Miss Mustard Seed came out with her line of stencils, I have been dying to try one.  Not all of her Milk Paint retailers carry them, and I didn’t want to pay shipping, so I waited till we were visiting the in-laws and I bought two from a small boutique there.  🙂  This one (the Elizabeth stencil) was the perfect candidate for the look I was going for.

Since this is a fairly small stencil, you have to be creative when using it.  I started at the middle-right and then flipped it over for a mirror image on the middle-left.  (I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Pure White and a sponge pouncer with very little paint on it – I actually dab it onto a paper towel before painting with it.)  You can learn more about Miss Mustard Seed’s stencils Here.

Then I flipped it again to add the little extra swirl on each side, using FrogTape to hold it in place each time.  No this is not a sponsored post, I just think this stencil is awesome!

After the white paint was dry, I lightly sanded over those areas as well.  Then I applied Fusion Tough Coat as a protective topcoat.

I bought patterned poster board from Hobby Lobby and cut it to fit in the drawers.  Then I used Mod Podge and a foam brush to decoupage it into place.

When it was finished, we loaded it up to take to the Hunt and Gather market and this is one of several pieces that I had to photograph in the building right before we set up.  I love the old brick wall as a backdrop!

Here she is…

The new white rose pulls are from Hobby Lobby and I think they add just the right feminine touch (find similar knobs Here online).
DIY distressed stenciled feminine highboy makeover with Chalk Paint and Miss Mustard Seed stencil - Girl in the Garage DIY distressed stenciled feminine highboy makeover with Chalk Paint and Miss Mustard Seed stencil - Girl in the Garage

Here’s a peek inside the drawers…

I just love the rustic femininity of this highboy makeover.

Another vendor walked over when we were setting up and said it was the most beautiful dresser she had seen in her life.  I’ll take that compliment, thankyouverymuch <3

Here’s a before/after for you:

Quite the difference, right?  And this is one reason why I love doing furniture makeovers.

I’d love if you’d pin or share this post with a friend – then visit my blogging buddies’ projects below to see how their Furniture Fixer Upper makeovers turned out!

Furniture Fixer Uppers

Below are the Before photos – click the links underneath the photo to see the After photos and learn how they transformed it.

Furniture Fixer Uppers
1. Just the Woods
2. Prodigal Pieces
3. Petticoat Junktion
4. The Interior Frugalista
5. Confessions of a Serial DIYer

Thinking about painting and selling furniture?  Click below for lots of helpful info!

Thinking about painting and selling furniture?

25 Comments on Distressed Stenciled Highboy Makeover

July 27, 2017 at 11:35 pm (5 months ago)

LOL. Thank you Larissa! 🙂

1. kandice
    July 27, 2017 at 10:52 am (5 months ago)

this came out so soft and feminine! love it

July 27, 2017 at 11:34 pm (5 months ago)

Thank you Kandice! xo

2. Marie
    July 27, 2017 at 11:04 am (5 months ago)

What a beautiful makeover, Jen! From the soft gray with just the right amount of distressing to the pretty stencil and the floral knobs are perfect. I bet it sold quickly. Pinned

July 27, 2017 at 11:34 pm (5 months ago)

Thank you, Marie! You’re so sweet. xo

3. Naomi S.
    July 27, 2017 at 12:40 pm (5 months ago)

Now this is right up my alley! A beautiful job renewing this old dresser. I love the stenciling on the drawers and the color is perfect. I could put this in my home without a second thought! Yes, yes, yes! (Sorry, Marie and Kathy!!)

July 27, 2017 at 11:34 pm (5 months ago)

Aww thank you so much, Naomi! 🙂

4. Debi
    July 27, 2017 at 2:55 pm (5 months ago)

Beautiful!

July 27, 2017 at 11:33 pm (5 months ago)

Thanks so much, Debi!

5. nitpicker
    July 27, 2017 at 3:31 pm (5 months ago)

Who spills ink?!! I had to laugh when I read that because I love seeing ink in the drawer and depending on how bad the spill, I might leave it. It dates a piece. Fountain pens were popular for ages and their ink wells could be a challenge for young ones learning to write. My family had drawers full of glass bottles of ink until the ’60s (Grandpa didn’t like those new fangled ball point pens that had their flaws in their early days) and although they had broad bottoms, as one tapped the lip of the jar with the nib of a fountain pen to remove excessive ink before wiping it, we were always spilling it. A piece with a blob of ink like yours was likely around before the end of WWII.
    Your dresser is lovely. Great creative design of the stenciling. Have a fun day selling at the market!

July 27, 2017 at 11:33 pm (5 months ago)

Oooh, that makes perfect sense! Thank you! 🙂

6. Jan Cole
    July 27, 2017 at 4:06 pm (5 months ago)

I agree…it is the most gorgeous dresser I’ve seen! It is “yummy,” “fresh,” “feminine” and has star power written all over it! Another winner!

July 27, 2017 at 11:31 pm (5 months ago)

Thanks so much, Jan – I truly appreciate your kind words!

7. Sherry Stuifbergen
    July 27, 2017 at 7:21 pm (5 months ago)

So sorry you covered the gorgeous oak wood grain! I feel this was very insensitive to the beauty of the wood. Sorry.

• Jen, Girl in the Garage
      July 27, 2017 at 10:27 pm (5 months ago)

Don’t be sorry. I’m not sorry I painted it. People can have different opinions. If you read the entire post, it wasn’t in great shape and most of the drawers needed repairs. It sat on a for-sale site for a month before I found it. The oak was pretty and the reason I distressed it was so some of original oak would show through. I think it’s stunning now and if I hadn’t taken on the challenge, it might have ended up on the curb for trash day – who knows. If I had painted it neon yellow, orange, and green, you could maybe call me “insensitive” – but this finish is exactly aligned with the style of the piece. Rustic and feminine.

8. Jeannie
    July 28, 2017 at 8:07 am (5 months ago)

I think it’s Beautiful and You were/are very creative Jen. In my opinion You Saved this Sad Dresser and made it Happy & Proud once again!

July 28, 2017 at 12:09 pm (5 months ago)

Thank you Jeannie. <3

9. Barb
    July 30, 2017 at 11:18 am (5 months ago)

Jen I would walk right past the original piece but my gosh your painted version is just gorgeous!!!!

July 30, 2017 at 1:57 pm (5 months ago)

That’s so sweet – thank you so much, Barb!

10. Jeannie
    August 1, 2017 at 10:47 pm (5 months ago)

Oh My Gosh… My Grandmother had one that I remember looking like this one and I think it had been her Mother’s.
    She did have a big pillow on on it right next to the Long Curvy Staircase all us Grandchildren would slide down the emailing & plop ourselves sidewise & configure our little buns to land on the pillow while the one behind would go all the way down & try to knock us off the pillow. Thanks for the memories 🤗
    And Oh Yes, You truly made did a fabulous job.
    It’s Beautiful… and, I want it!!!

11. Candace
    August 18, 2017 at 10:04 am (4 months ago)

It is really beautiful! Painting a piece gives it new life, and your work is so beautiful and tasteful. Love the stencils, new knobs, (compliments the stencil perfectly), and your solution for the drawers. This was the perfect color for this piece!

August 22, 2017 at 6:45 pm (4 months ago)

Thank you so much for the sweet comment, Candace! 🙂