Repurposed Drawers to Decoupage Shelves

A few months ago I shared this repurposed drawer project for Trash to Treasure Tuesday, and I still had a couple more of the exact same drawers that needed to be updated.  I wanted to do something a little different with them though, and I finally tackled them for this month’s Trash to Treasure.

Here are the other drawers (ewww, right?)….   In this photo we had already filled the holes where the handles used to be.

Repurposed drawer project - Cute and easy!

**You can see my friends’ clever thrifty makeovers at the bottom of this post.**

Trash to Treasure Tuesday

For this project I tried a new-to-me-paint called Fusion Mineral Paint.  I had heard good things and I was curious, so I asked the ladies there if I could try it and they were kind enough to send me some.

I used Picket Fence (very bright white) on the first drawer.

Easy DIY repurposed drawer project with decoupage - Girl in the Garage

One thing I had heard about Fusion Mineral Paint that intrigued me is that it does not need a topcoat.  They do offer a topcoat that you can use for areas that might get a lot of wear, but it’s certainly not required because the paint self-cures.

You guys know I’ve had a frustrating time searching for the perfect topcoat (not streaky, not too shiny, doesn’t yellow over white paint), and this might be the perfect solution – no topcoat at all.

Next I used Mod Podge to decoupage some paper into the drawers (this one is from Hobby Lobby).  I can never miss a good opportunity to decoupage, haha.

Easy DIY repurposed drawer project with decoupage - Girl in the Garage

Then Mr. GITG cut me some little shelves and I painted them and installed them with small brackets on each side.  They are completely sturdy even with just two brackets holding them in place.

Easy DIY repurposed drawer project with decoupage - Girl in the Garage

I painted the other drawer in Fusion Mineral Paint’s Raw Silk (little bit softer off-white) and decoupaged some leftover map paper I had.

And here they are….  I think they’re pretty stinkin’ adorable.

Easy DIY repurposed drawer project with decoupage - Girl in the Garage

They’re cute little shelves for holding trinkets or even small desk supplies.

Easy DIY repurposed drawer project with decoupage - Girl in the Garage

My first market of the year is just over a month away and I plan on bringing lots of these repurposed drawers.  I have four more of different sizes currently waiting on me.  🙂

Easy DIY repurposed drawer project with decoupage - Girl in the Garage

You could easily attach a couple hangers on the back and hang it on the wall wherever you need extra storage space for small items.

Easy DIY repurposed drawer project with decoupage - Girl in the Garage

I {heart} my inspire stamp collection.  I had to improvise some of the letters (I, P, I, and E are all different than they’re meant to be) but that makes it even more charming to me.

Easy DIY repurposed drawer project with decoupage - Girl in the Garage

Below is the difference between the Picket Fence and Raw Silk shades of paint.  (Oh I also love that the lids screw off instead of being like a typical paint can – cuz you know I never hammer those back on all the way!)

Easy DIY repurposed drawer project with decoupage - Girl in the Garage

I’ve also done a dresser in Fusion Mineral Paint so far (reveal coming soon) and I’ll continue to let you guys know what I think of it as I use it more.  I can’t attest to the durability yet, since it’s supposed to take 30 days to fully cure.  You can read more about the paint HERE if you’re interested.

Easy DIY repurposed drawer project with decoupage - Girl in the Garage

Have you tried Fusion Mineral Paint?  If so, I’d love to know what you think of it!

Leave me a comment and also stop by my friends’ Trash to Treasure makeovers below.  Click on the links under the photos to see the After photos and read the full tutorial.

1. Prodigal Pieces
2. Confessions of a Serial DIYer
3. Artsy Chicks Rule

Click here for my free printable resource list: 11 Items to Always Buy While Thrifting

Thinking about painting and selling furniture?

26 Comments on Repurposed Drawers to Decoupage Shelves

1. Paula
    April 11, 2017 at 4:28 am (6 months ago)

Very cute and a great way to use something most would toss in the trash. I predict these won’t last long at your May sale.
    Paula recently posted…Vintage Monday–Easter DecorMy Profile

April 12, 2017 at 6:46 pm (6 months ago)

Thanks Paula, I hope you’re right. I’ll have at least six, and I’ll be on the hunt for more drawers. So much to do in the next month!

2. Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces
    April 11, 2017 at 5:55 am (6 months ago)

Ya know, I just drove by a pair of drawers in the trash but had no room to pick them up. eep! I love what you did with those, Jen. So useful and cute!

April 12, 2017 at 6:54 pm (6 months ago)

Ahh, I’m jealous of your citywide trash cleanup! It would be hard not to stuff my garage!

3. Christy
    April 11, 2017 at 8:18 am (6 months ago)

These turned out so cute, Jen! I just threw away about eight drawers that had been hanging around my garage forever. They were super cheap though…looks like yours were good ones! They’ll sell quickly for sure! XOXO

April 11, 2017 at 12:18 pm (6 months ago)

Aww man! Yeah these were made pretty well.

4. Lynne DiCenzo
    April 11, 2017 at 8:48 am (6 months ago)

Very creative and just beautiful

April 12, 2017 at 6:44 pm (6 months ago)

Thanks Nancy! It’s a great way to feed my addiction for buying pretty paper. Lol

5. Regina
    April 11, 2017 at 9:53 am (6 months ago)

Very cute idea! I have used Fusion Mineral Paint in Picket Fence as well and love it but I have to say that I also purchased their topcoat and LOVE it. I used it with the white and other chalk style paints and have not had any yellowing. It is my go to topcoat for sure. Thanks for sharing your project, looking forward to your next one!

April 11, 2017 at 12:15 pm (6 months ago)

Sounds perfect! Thanks so much for sharing your experience, Regina.

6. Rose L.
    April 11, 2017 at 12:25 pm (6 months ago)

So cute and works well for many homes. I once saw some drawers used to make some cute things. A man would make moving “scenes” in them. One had a western scene made of wood which had a cowboy on a horse holding reins and one arm in the air. When you pulled a little rope hanging down the bottom the horse would “buck.” Another had flowers made of wood and a bee that would move between 2 of the flowers when rope was pulled. There were many others. Not sure what they were called.
    Rose L. recently posted…GROWING GARDEN IS BURSTING FORTHMy Profile

April 12, 2017 at 6:44 pm (6 months ago)

That sounds really neat! I’d love to see something like that.

7. Dyan
    April 11, 2017 at 12:38 pm (6 months ago)

LOVE, love, love the map drawer! I’m heading to a vintage flea market in my area at the end of the month and will be on the lookout for old drawers. Thanks so much for the tutorial.

April 12, 2017 at 6:43 pm (6 months ago)

Oh, how fun – I hope you find a bunch of them!

8. PrettyPotato
    April 11, 2017 at 3:22 pm (6 months ago)

How beautiful! I need these in my life!! We are decorating our guest bedroom at the moment and I think they would go perfect! Thanks for the tutorial 😀

April 12, 2017 at 6:42 pm (6 months ago)

Awesome, I love hearing that! They’d be the perfect extra storage piece in a guest room. Thanks PrettyPotato 🙂

9. Angela
    April 11, 2017 at 9:38 pm (6 months ago)

Concerning mod podged. How to you keep paper from bubbling when dry. The tissue paper isn’t an issue, but think paper always bubbles up on me!

April 12, 2017 at 6:41 pm (6 months ago)

Hmm, that’s interesting. Usually thin paper gives me more problems than thick paper, so I usually buy scrapbook paper that’s almost thick like card stock. I usually do just a thin layer of Mod Podge and only do a couple inches at a time, and keep pressing over it for a few minutes to try to avoid any bubbles. Hope that helps, Angela!

10. Karen Anderson
    April 12, 2017 at 12:40 am (6 months ago)

I have four drawers I had picked up road side from other inspirations. I haven’t touched them in two years. I just had a yard sale and put them out, but no takers. Now I’m glad no one did! I want to do this and use them in my craft room! Thank you!.

April 12, 2017 at 6:38 pm (6 months ago)

Oh, how awesome (and lucky)! I’d love to see them when you’re done. 🙂

11. Marie|The Interior Frugalista
    April 12, 2017 at 8:59 am (6 months ago)

Love these, Jen! What a great way to repurpose drawers. Pinned I recently tried Fusion for the first time and was quite pleased with the results too and I used both of these same colors.

April 12, 2017 at 6:37 pm (6 months ago)

Oh, how funny! I’ve used Pebble too and it’s the perfect light gray. Thanks Marie 🙂

12. Marcie Lovett
    April 12, 2017 at 9:07 pm (6 months ago)

These would be great in the bathroom, too, Jen. Or in a kid’s room for displaying those lego creations. Fun!

April 17, 2017 at 10:37 pm (6 months ago)

Ah yes, all those Lego creations – I should’ve thought of that! 😉

13. Brenda
    April 17, 2017 at 11:08 pm (6 months ago)

Great idea! I have two I’ve been storing, thanks!!!