Dry Brushed Farmhouse Buffet Makeover

First off I want to thank you all for your sweet comments on yesterday’s blog post.  It means so much to have you cheering me on and sharing in the excitement.  You guys are seriously awesome!

Today I have a new project reveal for you…

It’s Themed Furniture Makeover Day with my blogging friends, where every month we each do a new makeover with our interpretation of a specific theme.  Since fall is right around the corner and it will be getting chilly soon, this month’s theme is Layers.  I started with this buffet that’s been hanging out in my garage for a couple years

(Before) Dry Brushed Farmhouse Buffet Makeover - Girl in the Garage

It was in good shape but needed some lightening up.  First, I did a couple coats of Zinsser primer and then a couple coats of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old Ochre.  It looked pretty good but seemed like it needed… something.  So I dry brushed it with Coco Chalk Paint for dimension, sanding it just enough for a slightly distressed finish, and ending up with a soft farmhouse look.  (I’ll explain more about the dry brushing technique in a minute.)

Dry Brushed Farmhouse Buffet Makeover - Girl in the Garage

I removed green felt from inside the drawer and decided to cover the remaining glue marks with decoupage (similar to the desk makeover I shared last week).  I chose sheet music scrapbook paper and used Mod Podge to glue it in place.

Dry Brushed Farmhouse Buffet Makeover - Girl in the Garage

And here is the lovely lady:

Dry Brushed Farmhouse Buffet Makeover - Girl in the Garage

Below you can see the effects of dry brushing.  Basically you dip the very tip of your paintbrush in paint and then blot it on a towel to get almost every drop of paint off.  When it seems like there’s nothing left, gently brush it across your furniture and it will leave a subtle trail of paint that highlights the texture and details.  I dry brushed the hardware also and love how the details pop now.  (HERE is another project that I dry brushed, with more explanation and photos.)

Dry Brushed Farmhouse Buffet Makeover - Girl in the Garage

Here’s the decoupage drawer <3

Dry Brushed Farmhouse Buffet Makeover - Girl in the Garage

I love doing something fun with drawers for a hidden surprise.

I forgot to take a photo of the inside, but it’s one large open space for storage and it’s just Old Ochre without the dry brushing.  Lastly, it was all protected with General Finishes High Performance topcoat.

Dry Brushed Farmhouse Buffet Makeover - Girl in the Garage

I painted this for the market and even though a lot of people were interested, it is still available.  So if you’re within driving distance of Northwest Indiana and you’re interested in buying it, just let me know – I’m sure it would look lovely in your home.  🙂

Dry Brushed Farmhouse Buffet Makeover - Girl in the Garage

Have you dry brushed before?  Leave me a comment below – I’d love to know what you think of this farmhouse style buffet makeover.

Next, visit my talented friends below to see their themed furniture makeovers:

TFMD-2016-logo

18 Comments on Dry Brushed Farmhouse Buffet Makeover

1. Susie@TheChelseaProject
    September 22, 2016 at 4:19 am (8 months ago)

What a great piece! Love the shape and the color combo! You have such a vision with pieces. It’s always amazing to see the before and after. Always perfection and this one is no exception. Susie from Chelsea Project
    Susie@TheChelseaProject recently posted…Cozy Farmhouse Cottage Ottoman SlipcoverMy Profile

2. Karin Chudy (ART IS BEAUTY)
    September 22, 2016 at 7:07 am (8 months ago)

Jen, What a unique piece! You made it look better than I could have imagined!
    Beautiful!
    Hugs,
    Karin

3. Christy@Confessions of Serial Do-it-Yourselfer
    September 22, 2016 at 10:21 am (8 months ago)

This is so pretty and I love the dry-brushing effect! Sometimes I wish I could stage my pieces in my booth like I do for photos so people can see how they can be styled. I’m sure if your shoppers could have seen this piece dressed like this it would have sold! XO
    Christy@Confessions of Serial Do-it-Yourselfer recently posted…How to turn a Spindle Headboard into a BenchMy Profile

4. Phyllisa
    September 22, 2016 at 1:19 pm (8 months ago)

Hi Jen. The Dry-Brushed Buffet is marvelous! You have such great ideas. I’ll
    probably be using some of them, since I am just getting started in refinishing/decoratively painting furniture.
    I love your photos taken outside with all the greenery as a backdrop. I have an easy suggestion for your inside photos to eliminate all the distractions.
    Get some large white mat board sheets and stand them up behind your piece
    you are photographing. It makes a world of difference. Super easy, super inexpensive.
    Phyllisa

5. rose l.
    September 22, 2016 at 1:53 pm (8 months ago)

It looks much better in the new color than that dark one. I would not have given it a second look when it was dark!
    rose l. recently posted…SHARING A POEM I WROTEMy Profile

6. Pat Hilgendorf
    September 22, 2016 at 4:24 pm (8 months ago)

I absolutely love it!

7. Tami Toppen
    September 22, 2016 at 11:29 pm (8 months ago)

I love it and the idea of putting sheet music lining in the drawers is a great idea!

September 23, 2016 at 10:18 am (8 months ago)

Thanks so much, Tami! I love that paper- I used it in drawers once before also. 🙂

8. Paula@SweetPea
    September 23, 2016 at 11:48 am (8 months ago)

What a lovely piece and I’m surprised that it did not sell at your market! It looks much better lightened up with paint and dry brushing on the darker paint really does make the details pop. Great makeover!
    Paula@SweetPea recently posted…Child’s Desk MakeoverMy Profile

9. Karen Marie Kedzuch
    September 23, 2016 at 3:46 pm (8 months ago)

Jen,
    You took layering and gave me lfe to that piece. It won’t be much longer before she finds the perfect home.
    Happy Creating,
    Karen Marie

10. Linda
    September 25, 2016 at 2:47 pm (8 months ago)

What a great job!

Can you tell me where you found the sheet music scrapbook paper? I’ve looked online everywhere and can’t find it. Absolutely LOVE it and want it so bad!!

September 26, 2016 at 9:58 am (8 months ago)

Thank you Linda! The paper is from Hobby Lobby. That’s usually where I find all my pretty paper for projects. 🙂

11. Lucy @ Patina Paradise
    September 25, 2016 at 9:16 pm (8 months ago)

You always know how to bring out the best in a piece of furniture in your makeovers Jen! If I lived closer I would definitely pick this piece up and have it in my home!

September 26, 2016 at 9:59 am (8 months ago)

Thanks so much Lucy, you’re so sweet! xo

12. Karen Marie Kedzuch
    October 12, 2016 at 11:30 am (7 months ago)

Jen,
    Your magic brush created a stunning piece of furniture. I am sure she will find a home soon.
    Happy Creating,