Bye Bye Brown, Bonjour Blue {A Chair Makeover}

Blue chair makeover by Girl in the Garage.

This is a chair I’ve had in my garage for a couple months, waiting patiently for its turn to get a makeover.  Well the time came when I wanted to get a quick project finished before leaving for Haven in a few days!  As I walked through Joann’s searching for the perfect fabric, I was drawn to some bright medallion prints like I used for my footstool recently.  But alas… the curvy vintage lines on the chair called for a more traditional pattern, so I chose a floral that’s colorful yet neutral enough to work in several different types of spaces.  Here is the mandatory Before picture:

BEFORE:  Blue chair makeover by Girl in the Garage.

First I cleaned the chair really well; a little spider had made its home underneath (yuck).   Then I removed the seat by turning the chair over and taking the screws out.  Next I painted the chair navy blue (Indigo Streamer) with a Valspar latex paint sample.  I finished up with a couple coats of Annie Sloan clear wax to protect it.

For the seat, I used a staple gun to secure the new fabric over the top of the old fabric.  I paid special attention when folding the corners and cut out where the holes were for the screws.

FABRIC:  Blue chair makeover by Girl in the Garage. Blue chair makeover by Girl in the Garage.

Then I attached the seat to the chair again and it was finished – so simple!

Blue chair makeover by Girl in the Garage.

I just love the details on back of the chair and I think the blue makes it look more regal.   😉

If you’d like to see 8 more fabulous seating makeovers, click HERE.  (You won’t regret it!)

Miss any of my recent posts?  Catch up here:

Fair Fun…And Getting Ready For Haven

Beaded Flower Pin

Treasure Box

This post has been featured at:

Join the GITG Community

When you join this thriving online community of 75,000 creative souls, you'll be inspired to discover hidden artistic talents and learn skills to boldly face DIY projects with confidence.

You'll also receive my free guide "Just Paint It: 7 Tips for Transforming Furniture with Confidence."

Powered by ConvertKit

on Bye Bye Brown, Bonjour Blue {A Chair Makeover}

July 31, 2013 at 3:14 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks Amy- I linked it up!

1. Megin
    July 31, 2013 at 3:48 pm (5 years ago)

That blue is so yummy, Jen. I wonder if it’s due to the wax? It just looks so good!
    Thanks for sharing ~ I’m visiting from your fb post.
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Megin recently posted…Brag About It | Link Party | No. 15My Profile

2. Shanna Gilbert
    July 31, 2013 at 3:59 pm (5 years ago)

I love all of the details on the chair! Great choices on the paint and fabric colors!
    Shanna Gilbert recently posted…Instagram Photo FrameMy Profile

3. Irene
    July 31, 2013 at 5:58 pm (5 years ago)

I just love that color blue. It came out beautiful. Enjoy Irene

4. Therena
    August 1, 2013 at 1:53 am (5 years ago)

Beautiful!! I love the color!

5. Rachel Jokerst
    August 4, 2013 at 11:43 pm (5 years ago)

I do love the color you chose for these chairs! So sophisticated!

August 7, 2013 at 7:25 pm (5 years ago)

Yeay!! Thanks so much Amy! 🙂

6. Joyce
    August 7, 2013 at 4:14 pm (5 years ago)

Visiting from Southern State Of Mind and your chair make over is absolutely beautiful and amazing. I love the fabric you have chosen and I am a blue person too!
    Happy Hugs,
    jemma

7. Joselyn @The DIY Spot
    August 8, 2013 at 10:36 pm (5 years ago)

Love the new color. Looks great with your fabric choice. I have a similar chair with similar legs patiently waiting for me in my garage. Hope you enjoyed yourself at Haven. I went last year and had a nice time.

8. Katie
    August 9, 2013 at 1:46 pm (5 years ago)

WOW…this chair is beautiful! I love it and want it! Great makeover, love the paint color and fabric. Thanks for sharing.

Katie @thecasualcraftlete.com
    Katie recently posted…Chalkboard TagMy Profile

August 9, 2013 at 10:17 pm (5 years ago)

Thank you, Katie! So glad you stopped by. I love the blue too- I might have to find another project to use it on! 😉

9. Jenna
    August 9, 2013 at 4:55 pm (5 years ago)

Cute! Love the color, and the name!

10. Brenda Young
    August 10, 2013 at 12:04 am (5 years ago)

Hi Jen,
    Wow what a lovely shade of blue, wonderful fabric choice and I love the lines on this chair. You’ve got a great eye Garage Girl! Pinning and following across the boards!
    Brenda Young recently posted…The Little Table That CouldMy Profile

August 11, 2013 at 3:48 pm (5 years ago)

Wahoo! Thanks so much Amber! 🙂

August 14, 2013 at 4:28 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks Eliesa! Honestly I had a bad experience with polyurethane a few months back so I’ve stuck to using clear wax lately unless I’m using spray paint. Yes the paint was one of the 4 oz. samples you can buy from the shelf at Lowe’s.

August 16, 2013 at 1:31 pm (5 years ago)

That’s so sweet- thank you Kathleen!

11. Kathryn Griffin @TheDedicatedHouse
    August 23, 2013 at 5:11 pm (5 years ago)

Jen, it’s gorgeous! You are one of the features at the Anything Blue Friday party at The Dedicated House. Pop on in and grab a feature button for your blog. Here is the link to this week’s party. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2013/08/anything-blue-friday-week-22.html Hope to see you again at the blue soiree. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse
    Kathryn Griffin @TheDedicatedHouse recently posted…Anything Blue Friday – Week 22My Profile

August 23, 2013 at 11:02 pm (5 years ago)

Thank you so much! I just stopped by and grabbed the button. 🙂

12. Meegan
    September 2, 2013 at 11:23 am (5 years ago)

I love, love, love your chair makeover, Jen. The fabric is a perfect choice. Thanks for letting me feature your chair on I’ve Got The Monday Blues, oday 🙂
    Make it a blue Monday.
    Meegan recently posted…Field Trip Friday With Fresh Idea StudioMy Profile

13. Cindy
    September 3, 2013 at 8:23 am (5 years ago)

Hi Jen, what a fabulous choice of color and fabric for this chair! I adore chair makeovers and this def ranks in my top faces 🙂 I’m a new follower….a brand new blogger too – I’d love it if you’d check my blog out and follow 🙂
    Cindy recently posted…Pumpkin ObsessionMy Profile

14. Paula@SweetPea
    November 13, 2013 at 7:17 pm (5 years ago)

I love the color of blue paint that you used and the chair’s fabric coordinates perfectly. Thanks so much for sharing with this week’s Throwback Thursday party!
    Paula@SweetPea recently posted…Throwback Thursday #10My Profile

15. Carolyn Smith
    November 17, 2013 at 6:54 pm (5 years ago)

I love the intensity of that color!! Great job, Jen!
    Carolyn Smith recently posted…Great Deals!My Profile

16. Sharon
    August 31, 2014 at 3:55 pm (4 years ago)

LOVE this fabric!!!

17. Liz
    October 23, 2014 at 11:19 pm (4 years ago)

It’s beautiful! Awesome job! Did you have to sand it? Is it creamy looking because of the latex paint or the clear wax? I looooovvvve it!

18. Tammy
    February 20, 2015 at 3:45 pm (4 years ago)

Lovely work! Curious to know what type of brushes doe you find work best on furniture with satin paint. I have a project on tap and I’m not happy with a bristle brush and chalk paint combo.

If I use satin on something ornate like you did, what do you recommend for a brush?

I’m like you – I like the was finish too!!
    Thanks 🙂