Suitcase Dresser – IKEA RAST Hack

Sponsored-Post-Disclosure-BWG

This post is brought to you by Hickory Hardware, but all opinions are 100% my own.

{See more IKEA RAST hacks at the end of this post!}

IKEA RAST Hack: A suitcase dresser makeover from an IKEA chest of drawers.  girlinthegarage.netThis is my first furniture makeover for 2015, and I’m super pumped about it!

It’s also my first piece from IKEA, since the closest store is an hour and a half away.  (Bummer)

I’ve been wanting to recreate a suitcase dresser for a long time, ever since I pinned this Trenton Suitcase Chest from World Market on Pinterest ages ago:

World Market Trenton Suitcase Chest

Isn’t it amazing?

It’s regularly $549.99, on clearance for $124.98 – but sold out everywhere as far as I can tell…

Here’s how I made my version with the $34.99 IKEA RAST:

Supplies:

First, start with an IKEA RAST Chest or a similar piece.

IKEA RAST CHEST OF DRAWERS

After assembling, leave the drawers out.

Stain everything with the Minwax Cloths except for the drawer fronts.  This was my first real experience with staining, so I won’t give you any tips here except that it’s almost impossible to fix any mistakes you make.  Also, you might want to practice on some scrap wood first.

Next paint the drawer fronts with your chosen colors.  This will be going in my 5-year-old son’s bedroom so I chose basic colors that will match almost anything- especially since I’m planning on redecorating his room this year.

After painting, protect your hard work.  I used clear and dark wax on the top drawer to make it look aged (tutorial HERE) and only clear wax on the other drawers.

Depending on your dresser, you may need to drill new holes for hardware.

The really fun part is choosing which hardware and accessories will go on which drawers.

I played around with the design and then cut leather strips for two of the drawers, applying Mod Podge to glue them on.  (I also added upholstery tacks to the strips on the blue drawer.)

I drew on the red drawer with a Sharpie.

More awesome hardware and upholstery tacks…

And here’s the finished suitcase dresser:

LOVE!

And I think it will look fabulous in my son’s room, especially when it’s redecorated.

The pulls from Hickory Hardware (on the top and bottom drawers) are perfect for this piece – a little rustic, masculine, and a bit vintage/industrial.

I styled it with a vintage fan, camera, and old books – some of my favorite things to collect.  🙂

IKEA RAST Hack: A suitcase dresser makeover from an IKEA chest of drawers.  girlinthegarage.net IKEA RAST Hack: A suitcase dresser makeover from an IKEA chest of drawers.  girlinthegarage.net

IKEA RAST Hack: A suitcase dresser makeover from an IKEA chest of drawers.  girlinthegarage.netSo what do you think of my IKEA RAST hack and World Market inspired makeover?

Leave me a comment below – I’d love to know!

Recent Fabulous Posts:

* 5 Tips for How to Set and Keep Goals for Your Best Year Ever

* Top 10 Popular Posts of 2014

7 Amazing IKEA RAST Hacks!  girlinthegarage.net

73 Comments on Suitcase Dresser – IKEA RAST Hack

1. Jolinda lampo
    January 7, 2015 at 10:32 am (2 years ago)

This is absolutely beautiful. I had not see it before and it is now on my must make list. Going to check out the hardware today. Thank you.

• Mariela
      October 12, 2015 at 7:57 am (12 months ago)

Absolutely gorgeous! Impressive work you have done. The best makeover I ever seen.

2. Linda J
    January 7, 2015 at 1:32 pm (2 years ago)

I MUST do this! This chest could go in any room in one’s home! Great job. I have to go now. Gotta find a cheapy chest on Craig’s list!

January 8, 2015 at 7:06 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you Linda – I’d love to see your project if you make one similar! 🙂

3. Lynn Zawojski
    January 7, 2015 at 1:44 pm (2 years ago)

This is THE best makeover I’ve seen to date. AND I’m old…. Ha… Seriously
    What a great idea and if in years to come, you can change it back.
    So many times I wanted the suitcases but to open and re stack them
    just didn’t make sense… This is fab. Up to date, Hip, and
    still so easy to get into the drawers… thanks for YOU, being so clever.

January 8, 2015 at 6:59 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you so much for the sweet comment Lynn!

4. Lois Black
    January 7, 2015 at 1:45 pm (2 years ago)

Pat yourself on the back. ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 8, 2015 at 7:07 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you so much, Lois! I’m pretty proud of it! 🙂

5. Beth
    January 7, 2015 at 1:50 pm (2 years ago)

I adore this makeover! Thank you for the inspiration and guidance!

6. KymberlyFunFit
    January 7, 2015 at 2:02 pm (2 years ago)

Ok, gotta admit it. That is WAY TOO CUTE! Love what you created and the easy to follow steps. I am now off to find a dresser to dress up. It will go perfectly with the table I made using a vintage 1960s suitcase.
    KymberlyFunFit recently posted…Knee Pain? Just Say No … Didn’t WorkMy Profile

January 8, 2015 at 7:02 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you Kymberly – if you do a similar project I would love to see it when it’s finished! 🙂

7. Susan
    January 7, 2015 at 2:53 pm (2 years ago)

Absolutely beautiful!!! This is one of your best projects. It’s gonna be hard to top this one. Love it

8. Elisabeth
    January 7, 2015 at 3:14 pm (2 years ago)

Love it! That’s fantastic! Now…… where can I put one in my house????

9. hELEN
    January 7, 2015 at 3:23 pm (2 years ago)

such a clever idea…love it!

10. Paula@SweetPea
    January 7, 2015 at 3:26 pm (2 years ago)

This looks absolutely amazing! I’m glad that you are keeping this piece for your son instead of selling it in your booth.

You are starting 2014 off with a bang with such a great project.
    Paula@SweetPea recently posted…Wood Slice Wreath for WinterMy Profile

January 8, 2015 at 6:58 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you Jenny! I have already been thinking of making another one for my booth… you read my mind! 😉

11. Kathy milliken
    January 7, 2015 at 7:48 pm (2 years ago)

Oh my! You did a great job! Love it!

12. Jo
    January 7, 2015 at 9:00 pm (2 years ago)

Wow! That’s awesome!!
    Makes me want to rush out, get a Rast and do it too! 🙂

13. nancy
    January 7, 2015 at 9:54 pm (2 years ago)

I’ve been following the RAST challenge on other blogs…all are well done, but yours takes the cake. Well done!!!! My fav.

January 8, 2015 at 7:08 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you so much Nancy – what a compliment! 🙂

14. Sherry Fram
    January 7, 2015 at 11:24 pm (2 years ago)

Awesome transformation!!

15. Crystal
    January 7, 2015 at 11:39 pm (2 years ago)

Love it!!! It turned out gorgeous!! You did an amazing job!! Love it!!

January 8, 2015 at 6:57 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you so much Crystal!!

16. lara
    January 8, 2015 at 10:52 am (2 years ago)

Oh My Gosh, this is fabulous!! The drawer fronts really do look like suitcases – did you paint the sides
    of the drawers as well?
    Great job!!

January 8, 2015 at 6:57 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you Lara! I actually stained the sides of the drawers, but now I’m thinking I really should have painted them too… (I will next time) 🙂

17. Abbey
    January 8, 2015 at 1:38 pm (2 years ago)

Wow you did an incredible job!!

January 8, 2015 at 6:54 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you Abbey! 🙂

18. Gail nugent
    January 9, 2015 at 5:49 am (2 years ago)

I don’t normally post any comments, I just ooh and aah and then rush off to try to replicate. But I HAVE to say, this is AWESOME!!!!! I had never seen a dresser or chest done like this. I, too, loved the look but didn’t want the hassle of pulling the suitcases out every time I needed to get into them. I am so freaking stoked!!!!! I don’t even want to go to work today. I want to go thrifting and find a piece of furniture to do JUST LIKE THIS! Not sure where I’m going to put it……. I may have to put my husband or kids up for adoption, to make some room…… LOL

GREAT JOB!!!

19. Lisa
    January 9, 2015 at 3:04 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Jen,
    I love your rast chest hack. Hack is no where near the correct word…more like upgrade! 🙂
    My kids Ikea dressers are still going stron 14 years later.bought them in England when they were 8 & 5…ouch! 🙂
    The suitcase idea would be wonderful for our daughter who is doing an exchange year for University in Germany.
    Only seven more months til she is home. It will probaley take me that long to do it. Never have tried any of the furniture makeovers. This may just be the one and I will actually be travelling next weekend to Burlington (Ontario,Canada) where there is an Ikea. Though I am actually closer to the one in Canton Michigan ( 1 ish hours ) from Windsor Ontario where I live. But I will be 3 hours the other way! I do so ramble….The Ikea website does not give the depth of the chest. Do you happen to know the measurement? It would be muchly appreciated.

Love your Blog.

Kind Regards
    Lisa

January 12, 2015 at 1:06 pm (2 years ago)

Lisa,
      That sounds like a great idea. The depth of the RAST is not much… 11.5 inches. It’s enough to store smaller items, hence the smaller price tag.
      Good luck with your project! 🙂

20. karen@somewhatquirkydesign
    January 10, 2015 at 9:16 am (2 years ago)

funny, I just saw your inspiration piece on pinterest the other day and I loved it. I love your hack too! Great jog garage girl!

January 12, 2015 at 1:02 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you Karen! 🙂

21. Stacy
    January 14, 2015 at 8:33 am (2 years ago)

You did an amazing job. This gives me inspiration to complete one for my 15 year old son. His room needs a makeover and this dresser would look great in his room. Thanks for sharing. I love it!!

January 14, 2015 at 10:47 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you Stacy – glad you like it! 🙂

22. Caroline
    January 15, 2015 at 8:56 pm (2 years ago)

This is absolutely gorgeous dresser. It looks like something you would buy in a high end furniture store. Great work!
    Caroline recently posted…Easy Velcro Bathroom OrganizationMy Profile

23. Tristie
    January 21, 2015 at 8:52 am (2 years ago)

This is really cool. Way to take inspiration to the next level.

24. Petrie
    January 24, 2015 at 6:33 am (2 years ago)

I fell in love with this the first time I saw it. Have bought 2 IKEA RAST drawers second hand and this will be my next project! Love, love, love!!!!!!! Thanks so much for posting this Jen.

25. Bluwatergal
    January 26, 2015 at 7:59 pm (2 years ago)

This is AWESOME! I love this idea and the way you executed it is spot on!! I love vintage travel ideas and this is definitely on my project list. Thanks for linking up on the “Something to Talk About” link party 🙂 Hope to see you again next week! Bwg ~~~

26. Lisa
    January 27, 2015 at 3:43 pm (2 years ago)

WOW This is amazing!! I cannot believe how you made it with the leather and sharpie. It looks fabulous. Thanks again for linking up to the party and I’ll share this on Fb this week xo Lisa
    Lisa recently posted…Tuesday Treasures 21My Profile

27. CoCo
    January 27, 2015 at 8:35 pm (2 years ago)

Seriously such an awesome hack! You are one creative lady. THIS IS AMAZING! Thanks so much for linking up to our Something to Talk About Link party. I can’t wait to see what you have in store for us next week!
    CoCo recently posted…Reorganizing the Hall Closet for Games and Craft SuppliesMy Profile

28. Kelly
    April 1, 2015 at 11:15 pm (1 year ago)

This looks gosh darn fantastic! I love all the other shares of the dresser too!

Its just awesome what some paint & embellishments can do to a furniture piece. Well, anything really! ha ha.

Thank for sharing. 🙂

April 2, 2015 at 10:19 am (1 year ago)

Thank you Kelly! I’m glad you like the makeover. 🙂

29. MikkiGirl
    April 12, 2015 at 10:44 am (1 year ago)

Love, love, love this! You did a fantastic job! If you were going to sell the suitcase dresser, about how much would you ask for it?

April 13, 2015 at 10:37 pm (1 year ago)

MikkiGirl, I have actually thought of painting another suitcase dresser (not on an IKEA piece) and then offering it for sale. The price would really depend on the initial cost of the dresser and all the materials plus the time and effort involved. Plus the Rast is pretty small, and I’d do a larger piece next time. It’s hard to estimate a price on something I don’t plan on selling currently! 🙂 If you live local (Chicago area) and want me to do a custom piece for you, let me know and we can get into more specifics.

30. Andi
    June 10, 2015 at 3:04 pm (1 year ago)

Oh my gosh this is incredible! I’m so tempted to buy the dresser, even though I have way too many crafts going on right now. Definitely the best tutorial that I have seen for a DIY suitcase dresser!

June 11, 2015 at 3:21 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you Andi! 🙂

31. Billie
    September 17, 2015 at 9:47 am (1 year ago)

This is so amazing…..Great work!

September 18, 2015 at 11:49 am (1 year ago)

Thank you Billie!

32. Yvette Cruz
    December 18, 2015 at 3:01 pm (10 months ago)

Your amazing.

33. Karin
    January 6, 2016 at 8:40 am (9 months ago)

Thanks you so much for the tutorial! This is going to be my next project!!!

January 9, 2016 at 10:01 pm (9 months ago)

Awesome- I’m glad you like it! I’d love to see it when it’s finished! 🙂

34. Amy
    January 18, 2016 at 3:18 pm (9 months ago)

This is beyond cute!

January 19, 2016 at 11:46 am (8 months ago)

Thank you Amy!

5Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Suitcase Dresser – IKEA RAST Hack

1. […] Speaking of furniture, I think this might just be my favorite IKEA hack ever …. […]

2. […] * Suitcase Dresser – IKEA RAST Hack […]

3. […] Jen from Girl in the Garage has started 2015 off with a bang with this awesome IKEA hack. Since Jen lives far from IKEA, she doesn’t usually have access to their budget-friendly furnishings. However, when Jen finally had the opportunity to visit the store, she snatched up a RAST chest for only $34.99 to make over into a very cool suitcase dresser. Jen says, “I stained the sides, painted the drawer fronts, and added accessories to make the drawers look like suitcases. It’s going in my son’s bedroom, and it’s now one of my favorite makeovers!” […]

4. […] finally, I thought this Ikea hack from Girl in the Garage was fantastic.. partly because I’m working on the same set of drawers but with a completely […]

5. […] finally, I thought this Ikea hack from Girl in the Garage was fantastic.. partly because I’m working on the same set of drawers but with a completely […]