With a new year upon us, goal setting is a very hot topic right now.
Will you set goals or resolutions for the new year?
I prefer to set goals instead of create resolutions because the very definition of a goal involves ambition and effort vs. just making a decision with a resolution. Goal just seems like a more motivating word, doesn’t it?
Here are 5 things you can do to help you make and keep your goals for the new year.
(Also, at the end of this post you will find 40 other helpful ways for you to make this your best year ever!)
1. Set SMART goals
Goals should be Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound.
For example, “I want to lose weight this year” is not a SMART goal.
“I will work out 30 minutes per day 5 days per week and lose 15 pounds before our June vacation” is a SMART goal.
2. Write Your Goals Down
If you don’t write your goals down, they may as well not exist at all.
Write them down and break them into pieces – if your goal is to lose 15 pounds in 5 months, shoot for 3 pounds per month.
Then post your goals somewhere where you’ll be reminded of them often – on your refrigerator, your bathroom mirror, your desk.
3. Tell a trusted friend what your goals are and have them hold you accountable
It’s much easier to work toward your goals when someone is helping you stay on track.
4. Track Progress in Apps
Whatever your goal, there’s probably an app to help you stay on track.
Fitness goals, losing weight, paying off debt, quitting smoking, managing a work/life balance, etc. can all be less cumbersome with an app that you can check and update daily.
5. Don’t Get Discouraged
The fact is, humans often make mistakes.
And if/when you make a mistake, get back up and continue on your way.
Don’t beat yourself up and don’t quit working toward your goals – persistence pays off!
Here’s a good quote I found that sums pretty much everything up:
I would love to know what other tips you have for setting and keeping goals – just leave a comment below so we can all benefit. 🙂
HAPPY NEW YEAR, FRIENDS!
Next, enjoy the posts from the bloggers below for even more motivation for the new year!
1. How to Set and Keep Goals to Make This the Best Year Ever | Jen @ Girl in the Garage
2. 15 Ways to Stay Organised at Work During 2015 | Elizabeth Harrin @ A Girl’s Guide to Project Management
3. How Personal Style Will Help You Achieve Goals Faster in 2015 | Cherene Francis @ Aura Image Consulting
4. Completing Those Unfinished Projects in the NEW YEAR | Angela Lerew @ Unexpected Elegance
5. 42 Ways to Practice Perfectly & Become an Expert at Almost Anything | Amy Garro @ 13 Spools
6. Easy Exercises to do on a Cruise Ship | Amanda Woods @ Adventures All Around
7. 10 Simple Ways to Eat Healthier This Year | Dawn @ Reveal Natural Health
8. 31 Days to a More Fabulous You | Julie Bonner @ Mom Fabulous
9. How to Make This the Best Gardening Year Ever | Kendra Spencer @ a Sonoma Garden
10. 5 Ways to Make this Your Best Monarch Season…Ever! | Tony Gomez @ Monarch Butterfly Garden
11. 12 Scriptures for Goals and Guidance | Julie @ Loving Christ Ministries
12. How to Build a Starter Emergency Fund in 30 Days or Less | Jackie Beck @ The Debt Myth
13. Family Verse of the Week Challenge for 2015 | Jamie Yonash @ Life is Sweeter By Design
14. Hot Work at Home Jobs for 2015 | Holly Hanna @ The Work at Home Woman
15. A Year of Intention | Hilary Bernstein @ Accidentally Green
16. 2015: Our Best Year Yet | Ashley @ Leaving the Rut
17. Create a Better Life Story | Bronwen Warner @ Tummy Time and Beyond
18. Get Ready to Get MDfit | Tom and Anne @ Eat & Be Fit
19. 5 Free Ways to Learn Something New This Year | Sarah Fuller @ Earning and Saving with Sarah Fuller
20. Healthy Leek Soup | Mirlandra @ Mirlandra’s Kitchen
21. Health Resolutions: Baby Steps to a New You | Ellen Christian @ Confessions of an Overworked Mom
22. 5 Ways Busy Moms Can Get Motivated to Work Out | Diane Nassy @ philZENdia
23. Be Prepared for the New Year | Jennifer Dunham Starr @ The Memory Journalists
24. 3 Steps to a Healthier Life in 2015 | Joe Goodwill @Average Joe Cyclist
25. New Year’s Resolution: Cook More Often! | Kim Pawell @ Something New for Dinner
26. I Should What? 28 Ways to be Happier | Karen Young @ Hey Sigmund
27. 9 Ways to Get Healthier In The New Year | Amy Maus @ Home and Farm Sense
28. In 2015 Resolve to Take Control of Your Money | Kristia @ Family Balance Sheet
29. Eucharisteo: A Year of Thanksgiving | Lani Padilla @ Simply Fresh Vintage
30. No More Tears at IEP Meetings: Make This Your Best Year Ever! | Lisa Lightner @ A Day In Our Shoes
31. Learn to Save Money on Groceries | Melissa Buckles @ Everyday Savvy
32. How to Achieve Your New Year’s Resolution – For Real This Time! | Michelle @ Dishes and Dust Bunnies
33. 52 Weeks to a Better You: Week 1 – Go to Bed Early | Mindi Cherry @ Moms Need to Know
34. Food Street: How a Community Has Joined Forces to Start a Street Farm | Sam Walker @ Bubble ‘N Squeak
35. Organizing Coupons with the Binder Method | Sara Steigerwald @ Sisters Shopping on a Shoe String
36. How to Make This Year the Happiest Yet | Shambray @ Shambray.com
37. A New Year, A New You | Sharon Rowe @ How to Get Organized at Home
38. 5 Ways to Get Paid for Losing Weight This Year | Anna @ Real Ways to Earn Money at Home
39. Tips for Successful Whole30 | Deanna Michaels @ From This Kitchen Table
40. 75 Ways to Be Healthier in 2015 | Maryea Flaherty @ Happy Healthy Mama
41. How to Make 2015 the Best Year Ever! | Jennifer @ My Boys & Their Toys
Join the GITG Community
When you join this thriving community of over 7,000 creative souls, you'll be inspired to discover hidden artistic talents and learn skills to boldly face DIY projects with confidence.
You'll also receive my free guide "Just Paint It: 7 Tips for Transforming Furniture with Confidence."