Midcentury Makeover with a Surprise

Midcentury Makeover with a Funky Surprise.  girlinthegarage.net

We were lucky enough to get almost all the way through winter without either of the boys getting sick- until this week.  Thankfully it’s just a cold and a nasty cough (confirmed by the doctor), but my little guy has been so miserable!  I really hope he’s up and playing again soon.  🙁  During the boys’ naps and at night, I’ve been giving this midcentury cabinet a makeover (or is it a console? I wasn’t quite sure what to call it) that my mom picked up for me at Goodwill a couple weeks ago.

Midcentury Makeover with a Funky Surprise.  girlinthegarage.net

First I painted the whole thing with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Graphite.  Since it’s been absolutely freezing this winter, I’ve had a makeshift painting studio in the living room.  My husband loves it.   😉

Midcentury Makeover with a Funky Surprise.  girlinthegarage.net

I loved the gold on the hardware and the feet and I wanted to accent it a little more.  So I used metallic gold craft paint (the same one I used for the Pretty in Paisley tables) and stenciled this funky square print on both of the sides.  (Stencil is from the Folk Art brand by Plaid- I bought it online.)

Midcentury Makeover with a Funky Surprise.  girlinthegarage.net

This thing looks crazy cool to me.  It’s pretty simple when you look at it straight on but then…

Midcentury Makeover with a Funky Surprise.  girlinthegarage.net

Surprise!  The sides are so fun and funky.  I think it perfectly compliments the original era of this piece.

Midcentury Makeover with a Funky Surprise.  girlinthegarage.net

I also added some gold paint across the top of what I call the “crown” for more visual interest (see below).  I sealed the whole piece with Annie Sloan clear wax.

Midcentury Makeover with a Funky Surprise.  girlinthegarage.net

What do you think – is it funk-alicious?

I’m a sucker for retro pieces with a cool vibe.

Awesome related posts:

* Review and Tips for Using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint

*  “Retro Fabulous” Table Makeover

* The Repurposed Wardrobe {9 Upcycled Projects for Your Closet}

16 Comments on Midcentury Makeover with a Surprise

1. Beth
    February 28, 2014 at 2:08 pm (3 years ago)

I adore it! Talk about taking it up a notch! Thank you for the inspiration!

2. Kerry smith
    February 28, 2014 at 5:26 pm (3 years ago)

Most people probably would have thrown it out. Good eye!! I love that you didn’t! It looks really good. Kerry

3. Susan
    February 28, 2014 at 6:27 pm (3 years ago)

Wow!!! I love the gold. It makes it pop!! I love your work.

4. Mrs . g
    February 28, 2014 at 7:05 pm (3 years ago)

i think it looks totally gorgeous!!!!

5. Patticat
    February 28, 2014 at 11:56 pm (3 years ago)

I loved this project. I would never have dreamed a sorry looking piece like that would turn out so delicious. As someone already stated…you (or your Mom) have a really good eye. I would have passed it by. You’ve inspired me to stop and “really look” at those sad little pieces at the flea market

6. Judy Cholfe
    March 1, 2014 at 12:26 pm (3 years ago)

To quote your own words…..it truly is “FUNK-ALICIOUS” !!!!!! It looks amazing……Great job!!!

7. Beth
    March 6, 2014 at 9:52 pm (3 years ago)

So cute! Love how you got creative w/the stencil and colors!

March 30, 2014 at 11:41 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks so much Erica! 🙂

8. Ingrid
    May 5, 2014 at 3:47 pm (3 years ago)

I love it! Was this laminate, or a real wood veneer?

May 7, 2014 at 10:13 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you Ingrid! I don’t think it’s real wood at all, the cabinet is so lightweight I can easily pick it up myself and carry it around.

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Midcentury Makeover with a Surprise

1. […] Jen has some amazing furniture projects (and projects in general!), one of my favorites is this Midcentury Console Update with a surprise!  Follow along with Jen also on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter. Last but […]

2. […] 1.  Midcentury Makeover with a Surprise – Girl in the Garage […]