Bye Bye Brown, Bonjour Blue {A Chair Makeover}

Blue chair makeover by Girl in the Garage.

This is a chair I’ve had in my garage for a couple months, waiting patiently for its turn to get a makeover.  Well the time came when I wanted to get a quick project finished before leaving for Haven in a few days!  As I walked through Joann’s searching for the perfect fabric, I was drawn to some bright medallion prints like I used for my footstool recently.  But alas… the curvy vintage lines on the chair called for a more traditional pattern, so I chose a floral that’s colorful yet neutral enough to work in several different types of spaces.  Here is the mandatory Before picture:

BEFORE:  Blue chair makeover by Girl in the Garage.

First I cleaned the chair really well; a little spider had made its home underneath (yuck).   Then I removed the seat by turning the chair over and taking the screws out.  Next I painted the chair navy blue (Indigo Streamer) with a Valspar latex paint sample.  I finished up with a couple coats of Annie Sloan clear wax to protect it.

For the seat, I used a staple gun to secure the new fabric over the top of the old fabric.  I paid special attention when folding the corners and cut out where the holes were for the screws.

FABRIC:  Blue chair makeover by Girl in the Garage. Blue chair makeover by Girl in the Garage.

Then I attached the seat to the chair again and it was finished – so simple!

Blue chair makeover by Girl in the Garage.

I just love the details on back of the chair and I think the blue makes it look more regal.   😉

If you’d like to see 8 more fabulous seating makeovers, click HERE.  (You won’t regret it!)

Miss any of my recent posts?  Catch up here:

Fair Fun…And Getting Ready For Haven

Beaded Flower Pin

Treasure Box

This post has been featured at:

38 Comments on Bye Bye Brown, Bonjour Blue {A Chair Makeover}

July 31, 2013 at 3:14 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Amy- I linked it up!

1. Megin
    July 31, 2013 at 3:48 pm (4 years ago)

That blue is so yummy, Jen. I wonder if it’s due to the wax? It just looks so good!
    Thanks for sharing ~ I’m visiting from your fb post.
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Megin recently posted…Brag About It | Link Party | No. 15My Profile

2. Shanna Gilbert
    July 31, 2013 at 3:59 pm (4 years ago)

I love all of the details on the chair! Great choices on the paint and fabric colors!
    Shanna Gilbert recently posted…Instagram Photo FrameMy Profile

3. Irene
    July 31, 2013 at 5:58 pm (4 years ago)

I just love that color blue. It came out beautiful. Enjoy Irene

4. Therena
    August 1, 2013 at 1:53 am (4 years ago)

Beautiful!! I love the color!

5. Rachel Jokerst
    August 4, 2013 at 11:43 pm (4 years ago)

I do love the color you chose for these chairs! So sophisticated!

August 7, 2013 at 7:25 pm (4 years ago)

Yeay!! Thanks so much Amy! 🙂

6. Joyce
    August 7, 2013 at 4:14 pm (4 years ago)

Visiting from Southern State Of Mind and your chair make over is absolutely beautiful and amazing. I love the fabric you have chosen and I am a blue person too!
    Happy Hugs,
    jemma

7. Joselyn @The DIY Spot
    August 8, 2013 at 10:36 pm (4 years ago)

Love the new color. Looks great with your fabric choice. I have a similar chair with similar legs patiently waiting for me in my garage. Hope you enjoyed yourself at Haven. I went last year and had a nice time.

8. Katie
    August 9, 2013 at 1:46 pm (4 years ago)

WOW…this chair is beautiful! I love it and want it! Great makeover, love the paint color and fabric. Thanks for sharing.

Katie @thecasualcraftlete.com
    Katie recently posted…Chalkboard TagMy Profile

August 9, 2013 at 10:17 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you, Katie! So glad you stopped by. I love the blue too- I might have to find another project to use it on! 😉

9. Jenna
    August 9, 2013 at 4:55 pm (4 years ago)

Cute! Love the color, and the name!

10. Brenda Young
    August 10, 2013 at 12:04 am (4 years ago)

Hi Jen,
    Wow what a lovely shade of blue, wonderful fabric choice and I love the lines on this chair. You’ve got a great eye Garage Girl! Pinning and following across the boards!
    Brenda Young recently posted…The Little Table That CouldMy Profile

August 11, 2013 at 3:48 pm (4 years ago)

Wahoo! Thanks so much Amber! 🙂

August 14, 2013 at 4:28 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Eliesa! Honestly I had a bad experience with polyurethane a few months back so I’ve stuck to using clear wax lately unless I’m using spray paint. Yes the paint was one of the 4 oz. samples you can buy from the shelf at Lowe’s.

August 16, 2013 at 1:31 pm (4 years ago)

That’s so sweet- thank you Kathleen!

11. Kathryn Griffin @TheDedicatedHouse
    August 23, 2013 at 5:11 pm (4 years ago)

Jen, it’s gorgeous! You are one of the features at the Anything Blue Friday party at The Dedicated House. Pop on in and grab a feature button for your blog. Here is the link to this week’s party. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2013/08/anything-blue-friday-week-22.html Hope to see you again at the blue soiree. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse
    Kathryn Griffin @TheDedicatedHouse recently posted…Anything Blue Friday – Week 22My Profile

August 23, 2013 at 11:02 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you so much! I just stopped by and grabbed the button. 🙂

12. Meegan
    September 2, 2013 at 11:23 am (4 years ago)

I love, love, love your chair makeover, Jen. The fabric is a perfect choice. Thanks for letting me feature your chair on I’ve Got The Monday Blues, oday 🙂
    Make it a blue Monday.
    Meegan recently posted…Field Trip Friday With Fresh Idea StudioMy Profile

13. Cindy
    September 3, 2013 at 8:23 am (4 years ago)

Hi Jen, what a fabulous choice of color and fabric for this chair! I adore chair makeovers and this def ranks in my top faces 🙂 I’m a new follower….a brand new blogger too – I’d love it if you’d check my blog out and follow 🙂
    Cindy recently posted…Pumpkin ObsessionMy Profile

14. Paula@SweetPea
    November 13, 2013 at 7:17 pm (4 years ago)

I love the color of blue paint that you used and the chair’s fabric coordinates perfectly. Thanks so much for sharing with this week’s Throwback Thursday party!
    Paula@SweetPea recently posted…Throwback Thursday #10My Profile

15. Carolyn Smith
    November 17, 2013 at 6:54 pm (4 years ago)

I love the intensity of that color!! Great job, Jen!
    Carolyn Smith recently posted…Great Deals!My Profile

16. Sharon
    August 31, 2014 at 3:55 pm (3 years ago)

LOVE this fabric!!!

17. Liz
    October 23, 2014 at 11:19 pm (3 years ago)

It’s beautiful! Awesome job! Did you have to sand it? Is it creamy looking because of the latex paint or the clear wax? I looooovvvve it!

18. Tammy
    February 20, 2015 at 3:45 pm (3 years ago)

Lovely work! Curious to know what type of brushes doe you find work best on furniture with satin paint. I have a project on tap and I’m not happy with a bristle brush and chalk paint combo.

If I use satin on something ornate like you did, what do you recommend for a brush?

I’m like you – I like the was finish too!!
    Thanks 🙂