Chalk Paint and Cherry Blossoms – A Dresser Makeover

Sponsored Post Disclosure - girlinthegarage.net

I have a lovely dresser makeover to show you today!

Here’s how this French Provincial piece started out:

It was an awesome deal at a thrift store that was going out of business, and it ended up sitting in my garage for a while.  Finally I decided on Paris Grey and Old White Chalk Paint® decorative paint by Annie Sloan for this piece – this combination is soft and romantic but also very much part of the popular gray trend lately.

Here it is with a couple coats of Paris Grey (I didn’t have the heart to make Abby move just for a photo!):

Then I added the Cherry Blossoms stencil from Royal Design Studio (find it HERE) with Old White Chalk Paint®.  Well… the design ended up being about 85% stencil and 15% freehand since I wasn’t working on a flat surface.

I tried to incorporate the handles into the branches a bit.  Normally I don’t paint the hardware to match the furniture, but I think this piece called for it.  Finally I protected it all with clear wax.

IMG_5651-annie-sloan-chalk-paint-french-provincial-dresser-makeover

French Provincial dresser makeover with Chalk Paint® and Cherry Blossoms stencil. #MadeItMyOwn girlinthegarage.net French Provincial dresser makeover with Chalk Paint® and Cherry Blossoms stencil. #MadeItMyOwn girlinthegarage.net

I’m pretty proud of how it turned out.   😉

I painted the candlesticks earlier this summer with Pure White Chalk Paint® – you can read about it HERE.

And here’s a before-and-after graphic:

French Provincial dresser makeover with Chalk Paint® and Cherry Blossoms stencil. Girl in the Garage

Made it my own with Annie Sloan

For more Chalk Paint® project inspiration and advice, visit my personal online gallery HERE.

Good luck and have a wonderful weekend, friends!

Click here for my free printable resource list: 11 Items to Always Buy While Thrifting

17 Comments on Chalk Paint and Cherry Blossoms – A Dresser Makeover

1. Carol Paulus-Kalis
    September 4, 2015 at 1:31 pm (1 year ago)

I think this is the best looking piece you’ve ever done. It’s beautiful! You did a really, really great job on the stencil. It could not have been easy to stencil as it was not a smooth surface. I love the way the candlesticks look, also. You should be proud. In my opinion, you knocked it out of the ballpark. You go, girl!!!!!!

Carol P-K

2. Melissa OConnor
    September 4, 2015 at 1:32 pm (1 year ago)

I love this. I just re did a night stand in a light gray. I found cherry blossom wall decals and used those. I want to do the rest of my bedroom furniture like this though.

3. Linda
    September 4, 2015 at 2:08 pm (1 year ago)

That is B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L!!!!

4. Anne F
    September 4, 2015 at 3:11 pm (1 year ago)

I love the addition of the cherry blossoms…it softens the piece so nicely! Great job!

5. Rose L.
    September 4, 2015 at 5:17 pm (1 year ago)

I love it! If for sale I am sure it will be snatched up right away! You did great on the stenciling. I have heard some people make their own chalk paint. Do you do that or always use Annie’s? Impressive piece!

6. Amy Rattleff
    September 4, 2015 at 6:23 pm (1 year ago)

So pretty and dainty! Love how you reinvented this dresser!

7. nancy
    September 4, 2015 at 6:39 pm (1 year ago)

You put a lot of thought into the stenciling placement. Well done.

8. Crystal
    September 5, 2015 at 8:34 pm (1 year ago)

I love the dresser!! The cherry blossoms added the perfect touch. Love it!!

9. GERRI ( DENISE) DAGOSTINO
    September 6, 2015 at 8:03 am (1 year ago)

I LOVE THIS PIECE OR TWO PIECES & IT IS BEAUTIFUL ! LUCKY YOU TO BE ABLE TO FIND THEM & THEY APPEAR TO HAVE BEEN IN GREAT CONDITION THEREFORE LEADING THE WAY FOR AN UPDATE ! I LOVE THE PUNCH OF DETAIL OF THE STYCLE ALSO & HOPE YOU KEPT IT IN YOUR HOME AS YOU HAVE A TRUE TEASURE ! GREAT WORK & WONDERFUL EYE FOR THIS BEAUTY !

10. Allyson
    September 23, 2015 at 8:39 am (1 year ago)

Hello, You did an amazing job on this piece! I have this same dresser that I am looking to refinish. I wanted to use Annie Sloan’s chalk paint also, just a question…since the piece is laminate do you prime it first? Thanks!

September 23, 2015 at 9:44 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you Allyson! I did not prime this piece first, and the Chalk Paint adhered just fine to it. Good luck with your dresser!

11. diena4988@gmail.com
    October 5, 2015 at 9:39 am (1 year ago)

I love this piece, it was a beautiful shape to begin with but you brought the whole thing to life with your choice of paint and that stencil is to die for. I am working on a small chest, adding beautiful carved bun feet and a “linen” color by Country Chic paints, i then bought some beautiful spray paint called champagne and i will paint a light coat of that. Then i bought a beautiful stencil from a girl on Etsy ( forgive me, i can’t think of her
    name) ( it’s alittle early ) but i am not going to paint the stencil, i am
    going to use spackle. Then i am going to use some wax from Country Chic paints, it has sort of an irredessence sheen to it. I also bought handles for it, it was more of a 1950’s era, so very plain. The handles i got are very similar to yours. I hope, after all this work, that it’s not gawdy or over done. I want it to look feminine and sexy, just like yours Jen. Thanks !! ( =

• Liz
      May 15, 2016 at 12:22 pm (8 months ago)

Hi Jen,

Beautiful!!! Thanks for the inspiration! This is exactly what I want to do to my two French Provincial dressers now, but I have a couple of questions for you and I’m hoping you can help: what brushes did you use for the main dresser/grey, how many coats did you apply, and what brush did you use for the stencil/white? Also, what brush did you use to apply the wax afterwards? I assume you didn’t wax the handles? Lastly, how long did it take to set and then to fully ‘cure’ so it was hard enough to place things on? I’ve heard it dries quickly but takes 4 weeks to ‘cure’/harden? (Sorry a couple of questions turned into many the more I think about actually doing this LOL!)

P.S. I love your doggie!

Thanks!!
      Liz

May 20, 2016 at 9:09 am (8 months ago)

Hi Liz,
        Thank you! I use Purdy brushes when I paint furniture. When I’m painting small details though I use little artist brushes (no specific brand), and when I stencil I use a small foam pouncer. So I used all three kinds on this makeover. I think I painted 2 coats of Paris Grey on the dresser, I can’t remember exactly. I have an Annie Sloan wax brush that I use for waxing, and then a lint free cloth for wiping away the excess wax. Since I painted the handles with the same paint, I did wax them also. It does take about 30 days for the wax to fully cure. This dresser actually sat in my kitchen (finished) for a month or more before I moved it… I didn’t do it on purpose, it just worked out that way. So it had plenty of time to cure. If you’re waxing dressers or tables, you’ll want to do 2-3 light coats on the very top (spaced out by a day or two) so it’s more durable. I hope that helps – good luck with your makeovers! 🙂

• Liz
          June 18, 2016 at 2:34 pm (7 months ago)

Thank you so much Jen for all the detailed information, this is very helpful!! I will let you know how it comes out! 🙂
          Best,
          Liz

12. Becky Delson
    June 3, 2016 at 10:17 am (8 months ago)

This is beautiful. Darn it! Royal Design Studio (also the nearest Annie Sloan stockist) is super close to my house. Now I need those cherry blossom stencils!