Vintage Chair Makeover in Old Ochre Chalk Paint

DIY: Vintage Chair Makeover with Chalk Paint.  girlinthegarage.net

Hi guys!  I hope you had a wonderful weekend celebrating the dads in your life.  My hubby and I are doing some more celebrating tonight because we’re going out for our 8th wedding anniversary which is tomorrow!  (I wrote a post about our story last year- you can read it here.)  A nice dinner and a trip to Anthropologie – sounds like the perfect date to me.  😉

Today I’ve got a vintage chair makeover for you, and I’ll probably have another chair makeover to show you later this week – Woot!  My sweet mom picked up this chair for me from Goodwill for $4.00, which is a steal, because our Goodwill isn’t cheap!  She’s my partner in crime and is always on the lookout for me.  She knew I wouldn’t be scared of a few scratches and that nasty seat cushion.

Before.   DIY: Vintage Chair Makeover with Chalk Paint.  girlinthegarage.net

After cleaning the chair, I flipped it and removed the seat.  The bottom was almost as bad as the top – gross.

Before.  DIY: Vintage Chair Makeover with Chalk Paint.  girlinthegarage.net

I painted the chair in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old Ochre.  I love how rich and creamy this color is.  You can also see it on my nailhead vanity and the bicycle box.

I also bought a new seat cushion (had to trim it down a little) and fabric from Hobby Lobby.  Here I’m checking if the cushion will fit well:

DIY: Vintage Chair Makeover with Chalk Paint.  girlinthegarage.net

I centered the pattern over the cushion and cut the fabric, leaving a few inches extra on each side.

DIY: Vintage Chair Makeover with Chalk Paint.  girlinthegarage.net

Then I carefully turned it over, folded the edges under, and stapled all the way around with my staple gun.

DIY: Vintage Chair Makeover with Chalk Paint.  girlinthegarage.net

I applied a coat of Annie Sloan’s clear wax to the chair, screwed the seat back on, and here is the “after!”

DIY: Vintage Chair Makeover with Chalk Paint.  girlinthegarage.net

It’s so bright and cheerful to me…  and looks so much cleaner than it used to.

DIY: Vintage Chair Makeover with Chalk Paint.  girlinthegarage.net DIY: Vintage Chair Makeover with Chalk Paint.  girlinthegarage.net

Have you passed by any gross chairs at Goodwill lately that you might reconsider now?

Is anyone else celebrating an anniversary soon?  June is a popular wedding month!  🙂

Click HERE for more advice and steps for doing a chair makeover on your own.

~

You may also like:  Easy Patriotic Bandana Wreath

Easy Patriotic Bandana Wreath - girlinthegarage.net

21 Comments on Vintage Chair Makeover in Old Ochre Chalk Paint

1. Susan
    June 16, 2014 at 7:50 am (3 years ago)

Jen, your chair turned out so gorgeous! I’m going to be hitting the thrift shops daily now looking for the perfect gross chair.

June 18, 2014 at 10:48 pm (3 years ago)

LOL! Good luck Susan, I’m sure you will find many gross chairs to choose from! 😉

2. Debbie
    June 16, 2014 at 10:52 am (3 years ago)

Lovely chair.

3. Linda
    June 16, 2014 at 11:21 am (3 years ago)

Wow, what a difference! It’s beautiful and so cheery. I love Goodwill 🙂

June 18, 2014 at 10:50 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you Linda! Our Goodwill is hit and miss, but I find good bargains once in a while. Luckily this chair was one of them!

4. Cathy
    June 16, 2014 at 11:29 am (3 years ago)

This is fabulous–seriously! I love the white coloring on the wood with that pattern on the back of the chair. Good eye!

Visiting from OurMiniFamily.com!
    Cheers,
    ~Cathy~

June 18, 2014 at 10:50 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks so much, Cathy! Hope you’re having a great week. 🙂

5. Lindsay Eidahl
    June 16, 2014 at 2:40 pm (3 years ago)

Love it! I actually passed on a couple of chairs that I didn’t think I could recover at Goodwill and after I left, I was kicking myself for not getting them. I had to turn around and get them and I am so happy I did. I love them! http://www.mycreativedays.com/no-sew-upholstered-chairs-project-my-favorite-kind/ Just had to share because I will never pass up on a thrift store chair again. They are always worth a try!
    Lindsay Eidahl recently posted…Week of Inspiring House ToursMy Profile

June 18, 2014 at 10:55 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks Lindsay! You are so right. Your chairs turned out beautiful – that fabric is so pretty!

6. Crystal
    June 16, 2014 at 9:17 pm (3 years ago)

So pretty! I love the fabric you chose!! My anniversary is July 2nd. My husband and I will be celebrating our 23rd anniversary!! Love the chair!!

June 18, 2014 at 10:56 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you Crystal! Happy early anniversary to you! 🙂

7. Sandi Nakoneczny
    June 16, 2014 at 9:18 pm (3 years ago)

Chair looks wonderful. I have one in the basement that needs something and this just might be it.
    Thanks for your great ideas.

June 18, 2014 at 10:57 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks so much Sandi! Glad you like it. 🙂

June 18, 2014 at 10:58 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you Wendy! I’m so happy that my project inspired you! 🙂

8. Prissyville
    June 20, 2014 at 3:20 am (3 years ago)

Much better and cleaner! Lol! Nice job. BTW…June bride here!

June 21, 2014 at 7:17 pm (3 years ago)

Yeay for another June bride! 🙂 Thank you!

9. paula
    July 3, 2014 at 10:51 am (3 years ago)

This is a fantastic blog Jen, My husband and I recently purchased our first home. We gutted the whole thing and are now in the process of rebuilding it. As you can imagine, funds are tight. I’ve been learning from reading your DIY posts and I’m hoping to repurpose my old furniture to match the new look of our house.

10. Shelia @ House of Highlands
    July 27, 2014 at 9:50 pm (3 years ago)

I love this chair! I have not painted with ASCP but I’m about to start! We are getting a room ready for my daughter and I plan to paint a few pieces for her! Your chair turned out fabulous!
    Shelia