Upcycled Antique Sewing Drawers

Upcycled Antique Sewing Drawers by Girl in the Garage

As much as I love the look of this little cabinet, I cannot take the credit for upcycling it.  I bought this (among other items) from a local lady who loves to repurpose and also create art from things other people might deem as “junk.”  This piece started out as part of an antique sewing table that probably looked very similar to this one from the early 1900s:

Antique Sewing Table

But by the time I came into the picture, the woman had dismantled it and had already made a new tabletop for the iron base and sold it to a client.  With the leftover pieces, she created this storage beauty and offered it to me.  The detail on it is amazing and it reminds me of an old card catalog.

Upcycled Antique Sewing Drawers by Girl in the Garage

However there was some slight discoloration of the wood on the sides and the top, so I decided to paint it.  Surprised?  😉

Upcycled Antique Sewing Drawers by Girl in the Garage

I chose a pale yellow because I was going to leave the drawers untouched and I didn’t want the paint color competing with the visible wood.  It’s a solid, beautiful piece and truly one of a kind!

Upcycled Antique Sewing Drawers by Girl in the Garage

I finished it off with a couple coats of matte soft touch polyurethane over the paint.

Upcycled Antique Sewing Drawers by Girl in the Garage

I put it for sale in my booth space but it hurt to do so!   Maybe if it doesn’t sell right away I’ll bring it back home for a while.  😉

Upcycled Antique Sewing Drawers by Girl in the Garage

Part of me really hopes it doesn’t sell – I love it!

Miss any of my recent posts?  Catch up here:

Fabric Garland and Bunting Tutorial

The Good Life: Overcoming Fear to Reach Success

Big Announcement!

22 Comments on Upcycled Antique Sewing Drawers

1. Lisa
    June 7, 2013 at 10:49 am (4 years ago)

Beautiful Jen, I love it! My aunt used to have an old singer like that one, I remember playing with the pedal when I was little. I would love to have something like this in my sewing room!
    Lisa recently posted…Sweet Treats & Swanky Stuff {link party} #15My Profile

June 9, 2013 at 11:49 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks, Lisa! I’m actually on the lookout to buy one of those tables to repurpose… my mom has one that used to be my grandmother’s so I wouldn’t feel quite right about painting that one (if she even let me)!

2. Bev
    June 7, 2013 at 5:46 pm (4 years ago)

I really do like that, and would probably buy it from you if I came into your booth!

Last night I scored a bird cage like yours…looks identical except for a knob on top and mine is green!

Bev @ Give me a paintbrush
    Bev recently posted…Auction Scores!My Profile

June 9, 2013 at 8:31 am (4 years ago)

Bev, I went back to check on my booth and it was already sold! I’ll have to keep a lookout for something else similar…. Thanks for your comment. 🙂

June 10, 2013 at 10:52 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Jodi! It already sold… Boo. I’ll have to keep a lookout for something similar; I’ve been wanting a card catalog for years. Glad you stopped by!

June 11, 2013 at 10:54 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Julie, that’s so sweet of you! 🙂

3. Jess
    June 12, 2013 at 6:23 am (4 years ago)

What a great idea!! I love the details on the front of the doors – it turned out just beautiful!
    Jess recently posted…DIY Magazine HolderMy Profile

4. Linda @ Mixed Kreations
    June 12, 2013 at 6:56 am (4 years ago)

That is a gorgeous piece! Love the detail work on the sides. The color you picked is really nice it makes the beautiful color of the wooden drawers stand out. Nice work!! I had just refinished an old roll top desk that I pick up at a garage sale for $5 (-; now I’m hooked. Want to find more furniture to redo.
    Found your link at Progect Inspired linky parties. Love for you to stop by Mixed Kreations. Have a wonderful day, and thank you for sharing!

Linda

June 12, 2013 at 6:05 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you, Linda! Isn’t it awesome finding great deals on furniture to transform? It is definitely addicting! 🙂

June 13, 2013 at 8:43 am (4 years ago)

Thank you Katie! I just stopped by and linked up. 🙂

5. Amy @ StowandTellU
    September 18, 2013 at 7:51 pm (4 years ago)

Oh how I have love those antique sewing machines, tables and drawers included. I love how you repurposed the drawers to really show off the intricate details of the wood. Great project Jen, pinned ~ Amy
    Amy @ StowandTellU recently posted…Raw Hide Faux Leather Storage Box with LidMy Profile

6. Toodie
    September 19, 2013 at 9:50 pm (4 years ago)

That is really cool! I’d love to find something like that and call it mine!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Upcycled Antique Sewing Drawers

1. […] Housie Painted Cabinets and Kitchen Reveal @ Shabby Love Upcycled Antique Sewing Drawers @ Girl in the Garage Faux Bois Rug @ Dream Home DIY Outdoor Chalkboard @ Eleanor Olander: This is Me Ikea Mirror […]