Upcycled: “Farmhouse Chic” Crate Table

Upcycled old crate to "farmhouse chic" side table by adding legs and paint.  By Girl in the Garage

It’s been a little while since I worked on a furniture project, so I was really excited to get outside this weekend and do some work.  Something about being outside in the sunshine and painting a piece of furniture is very relaxing to me.  (Do you agree?)  I bought this old crate from a yard sale last year and loved the rustic look of it, but I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with it.  So it sat in my garage until inspiration finally struck – I decided to add legs and make it into a “farmhouse chic” side table.  (If farmhouse chic isn’t technically a decor style, it should be!)

Supplies:  I went to Lowe’s and bought some table legs, metal attachment kits, and a small can of Valspar flat black paint all for about $35.  I also used a paintbrush, painter’s tape, and a cordless drill which I already had.

First I flipped the crate over and used the drill to secure the leg attachments. Then I screwed the legs into place – I knew it would be easier to paint them while they were standing upright.

I taped over the metal area so it wouldn’t get paint on it and then painted the legs black. I didn’t worry about covering every single spot because I wanted the natural wood to peek through a little for the rustic effect.

The paint dried pretty quickly, then I flipped the table over and added some black paint to areas of the crate for a cohesive look.

I’m totally digging the way this rustic/farmhouse side table turned out!  I love that you can either set decor on top or leave it open to show off what’s inside.

The lettering references Chicago and also Paul Newman, Hobart, Ind. (see the side view further down).

It definitely has some looong skinny legs.

I did a bit of research and apparently Paul Newman owned a substantial sized hardware store locally in the early 1900s.  This crate is a lot older than I originally thought!

It was such a simple task to add the table legs and completely give this vintage crate new life!

What you do currently have that you can upcycle to make something new and unique?  I’d love to hear about it!

Did you miss any of my recent posts?

12 Inspirational Patios & Porches

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles Birthday Party – with Etsy promo code!

This post was featured at:

Shine on Fridays

Old Red Barn

33 Comments on Upcycled: “Farmhouse Chic” Crate Table

1. Megin
    April 22, 2013 at 8:44 am (5 years ago)

Love it! Those legs are great.
    I’m visiting you today from CRAFT. I’m co-hosting a Link Up today; I hope you get a chance to stop by Link Up and comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    My Mom Frame ~ Printables

April 22, 2013 at 10:09 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks Megin! I’ll stop by and link up. 🙂

April 22, 2013 at 10:06 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks for visiting and commenting. Have a lovely week!

April 22, 2013 at 10:05 pm (5 years ago)

Melissa, how cool! I thought about painting a checkerboard on a small square table I’m doing, but it would be more for looks because I don’t even know how to play checkers. LOL Good luck with your table!

2. Jodi
    April 22, 2013 at 2:06 pm (5 years ago)

this is soooo awesome. inspired me… maybe i will turn my cheesebox into a table too… hmmm
    Jodi recently posted…Lucky JarMy Profile

April 22, 2013 at 10:03 pm (5 years ago)

Yeay! So glad this project inspired you. Good luck with your table Jodi!

3. Bev
    April 22, 2013 at 4:18 pm (5 years ago)

Too cute!

I am upcycling saloon doors to go with a project I have waiting in the wings. Need to stop buying, start selling and work harder!

April 22, 2013 at 10:02 pm (5 years ago)

A saloon door project? So cool! I hear ya – sometimes it’s just so easy to buy pieces to make over, and then you have to find the time to redo them all. You should see my garage! Thanks for stopping by, Bev.

4. Kirsten @ One Tough Mother
    April 23, 2013 at 8:01 am (5 years ago)

That looks amazing! I would have never thought to put legs on a crate…now I’ll have to go thrifting to see what I can find. Super cute!
    Kirsten @ One Tough Mother recently posted…A Day In Nashville, TNMy Profile

April 24, 2013 at 6:08 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks Chelsea! I’ll be there. 🙂

April 25, 2013 at 2:52 pm (5 years ago)

Thank you Peggy! I just stopped by your party. I’m glad you visited me. 🙂

April 25, 2013 at 9:40 pm (5 years ago)

I agree! I love to see old things put to good use again. Thanks for stopping by Paula!

5. Jen
    April 26, 2013 at 9:17 am (5 years ago)

Love this…great job!!! Visiting from Miss Mustard Seed.
    Have a great weekend, Jen
    Jen recently posted…DIY Desk from a Vintage DoorMy Profile

April 27, 2013 at 1:58 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks Jen! Nice name. 😉 Hope you have a great weekend too!

6. Goedele - Old Red Barn
    April 28, 2013 at 4:42 am (5 years ago)

Hi Jen, I love this lady, with long legs and high heels! I’m crazy about upcycling, so this project is right up my alley! Feel free to join my link party, every weekend @ Old Red Barn.
    Goedele – Old Red Barn recently posted…Crafty Country Cottage Link PartyMy Profile

April 28, 2013 at 11:46 pm (5 years ago)

Thank you Goedele! I just visited and linked up to your party. 🙂

4Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Upcycled: “Farmhouse Chic” Crate Table

1. […] Here’s another great table. It’s made out of an old crate. Check it out at Girl in the Garage. […]

2. […] Here’s another great table. It’s made out of an old crate. Check it out at Girl in the Garage. […]

3. […] Old crate to farmhouse chic table…So creative…farmhouse chic is the perfect way to describe this. Jen @ Girl in the Garage […]

4. […] Click for details>>>> Farmhouse Chic Crate Table from Girl in the Garage […]