DIY Moulding Christmas Tree

Hello again, friend!  We’ve set some snow records for November already, and this winter wonderland outside definitely makes it feel like Christmas will be here before we know it!

I’m teaming up with 24 other bloggers this week to bring you festive Christmas ideas for decorating and celebrating the holidays.  You can see all of them at the bottom of this post.  Today our group is sharing DIY projects – you knew I’d pick that topic, didn’t you?

* How to make DIY Moulding Christmas Tree Art *

First I started with all this decorative wood moulding trim…

DIY Molding Trim Christmas Tree - tutorial by Girl in the Garage

*This post contains some affiliate links so you can easily find the products I use and recommend.  Find a list of all my favorite DIY tools and products Here.

You can use old picture frames, decorative trim, or you can cheat and buy a bag of these pieces from Hobby Lobby.  😉

I also found the wood art piece below (complete with hangers on the back), but you could use an old pretty frame or make your own background from scrap wood.

DIY Molding Trim Christmas Tree - tutorial by Girl in the Garage

Lay out the pieces to get an idea of what order you want them – stagger the sizes and designs a bit.

DIY Moulding Trim Christmas Tree - tutorial by Girl in the Garage

Once you have the order chosen, flip each one over and mark the size that you want.  This was mostly for my husband since he was going to cut the moulding for me.  The pieces are mostly about 1/2 inch shorter as you go further up the tree.

DIY Moulding Trim Christmas Tree - tutorial by Girl in the Garage

Cut the pieces with a chop saw and sand the edges smooth.  Paint a coat of black over them. (I used Fusion Mineral Paint in Coal Black and Purdy paint brushes.)

DIY Moulding Trim Christmas Tree - tutorial by Girl in the Garage

Next, paint two coats of white over the black (I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Pure White).

DIY Moulding Trim Christmas Tree - tutorial by Girl in the Garage

Lightly sand over the pieces with 220-grit sandpaper so the black underneath peeks through and the details pop.

DIY Moulding Trim Christmas Tree - tutorial by Girl in the Garage

Lay the pieces back in order on the wood background, making sure everything is centered.

DIY Moulding Trim Christmas Tree - tutorial by Girl in the Garage

One by one, use E6000 to glue each piece in place.  Press firmly for a minute before moving onto the next piece.

DIY Moulding Trim Christmas Tree - tutorial by Girl in the Garage

Let the glue dry for about 24 hours, and then put your DIY moulding Christmas tree art on display!

DIY Moulding Trim Christmas Tree - tutorial by Girl in the Garage

I must confess, we haven’t gotten all our decorations out yet.  I do like how the tree looks now on my simple neutral mantel, and it will look even prettier once I add more Christmas decor.

DIY Moulding Trim Christmas Tree - tutorial by Girl in the Garage

This DIY moulding Christmas tree will be a beautiful addition to our holiday decor every year – and it was actually quite easy to make!

DIY Moulding Trim Christmas Tree - tutorial by Girl in the Garage

You can Pin the image below to easily find this project later:

DIY Moulding Trim Christmas Tree - tutorial by Girl in the Garage

Now it’s time to see all the Christmas ideas from these talented home bloggers. Be sure to visit everyone for wonderful Christmas ideas for the whole house. The links for each topic are below the images.

Monday – Christmas Mantel Ideas

~

Tuesday – Christmas Tablescape Ideas

~

Wednesday – Christmas DIY/Craft Project Ideas

~

Thursday – Christmas Tree Ideas

~

Friday – Christmas Recipes

Domestically Speaking // Inspiration for Moms // Foodie Chicks Rule // Nourish and Nestle // Jenna Kate at Home (not pictured)

DIY Christmas Ideas from Your Favorite Home Bloggers

P.S. If you come back tomorrow you’ll see the new look this vanity table got for Furniture Fixer Uppers day <3

Vanity table makeover - Girl in the Garage

Join the GITG Community

When you join this thriving online community of 75,000 creative souls, you'll be inspired to discover hidden artistic talents and learn skills to boldly face DIY projects with confidence.

You'll also receive my free guide "Just Paint It: 7 Tips for Transforming Furniture with Confidence."

Powered by ConvertKit

on DIY Moulding Christmas Tree

1. Paula
    November 28, 2018 at 5:03 am (3 weeks ago)

What a creative way to use molding! Your tree looks great surrounded by neutral decor and it’s going to look very festive when you switch the decor out to Christmas. I hope you are keeping this for yourself and not selling it in your shop. But if you do put it in your shop, it won’t last long!

2. Patti
    November 28, 2018 at 6:12 am (3 weeks ago)

Jen, this diy moulding Christmas tree art is fabulous! I did not know that you could buy a bag of decorative moulding at Home Depot. Also, I love the tip about painting them black first before the white to show off the patterns.

• Jen, Girl in the Garage
      November 29, 2018 at 6:29 pm (3 weeks ago)

Thank you Patti! This moulding is from Hobby Lobby, and I didn’t know about it either until I wandered the aisles looking for inspiration. 😉

3. Angie @ Postcards from the Ridge
    November 28, 2018 at 6:48 am (3 weeks ago)

This is so pretty, Jen. I love the designs on the trim pieces and the whitewash look is so wintry. It’s perfect on your mantel. You always have the prettiest projects.

4. Lora Bloomquist
    November 28, 2018 at 10:31 am (3 weeks ago)

I had no idea you could get a bag of moulding pieces from Hobby Lobby; I need to get out more! Love the visual, subtle texture of this project. Would be cute with green underneath, too;) I’m with you…the Christmas decor is coming out very slowly!

5. p
    November 28, 2018 at 1:37 pm (3 weeks ago)

Soooo cute !! I love the detail. 😉
    Thanks for this.

6. Lisa
    November 28, 2018 at 4:33 pm (3 weeks ago)

Jen this is so pretty and simple enough for those of us without a whole garage full of tools. I clicked on your affiliate link for the black paint and saw that the same paint is available in “Park Bench” which is a perfect green for a Christmas tree. I am going to try this with the green. I went on the Hobby Lobby website with the intent of grabbing a bag of the variety of beautiful moulding as you did, but I couldn’t find anything. Any suggestions on search terms I might use? Thanks so much, I’m really excited and hope mine comes out as perfect as yours did!!

• Jen, Girl in the Garage
      November 29, 2018 at 6:28 pm (3 weeks ago)

Lisa, thank you! I have never tried Park Bench but yes it does look like the perfect green! I couldn’t find the moulding on the Hobby Lobby website either, but in the store it was near all the unfinished wood project supplies. It’s called Artistic Mouldings – I’ll reply with an email with a photo of the package. Hope that helps. 🙂

7. susan
    November 28, 2018 at 8:46 pm (3 weeks ago)

This is so pretty! And creative!

• Jen, Girl in the Garage
      November 29, 2018 at 6:31 pm (3 weeks ago)

Thanks Christy! I’m keeping my Christmas decorating low key this year but at least I have something new now. 😉 xo

8. Marie
    November 29, 2018 at 1:25 pm (3 weeks ago)

Love this Jen! The patterns on the trim painted white and distressed are gorgeous. Pinned to share 🙂

9. Randi
    November 29, 2018 at 6:32 pm (3 weeks ago)

This is so elegant and beautiful … and what a great way to use old scrap pieces.

10. Cindy
    November 29, 2018 at 7:10 pm (3 weeks ago)

I absolutely love this idea Jen! I’ll have to see if my Hobby Lobby carries molding!!

11. lynn
    November 29, 2018 at 7:36 pm (3 weeks ago)

What a brilliant idea and use for the little bits and bobs of trim you might have lying around.

Thanks for the inspiration.

So happy to join you on this fantastic blog tour!

Hugs, Lynn

12. Kathy Owen
    November 29, 2018 at 8:10 pm (3 weeks ago)

I love your tree. I didn’t know you could buy bags of moulding at Hobby Lobby. Who Knew!

13. Kristi Dominguez
    November 29, 2018 at 9:17 pm (3 weeks ago)

This is my kind of project…it turned out beautifully! Love the paint technique.

14. Maryann
    November 30, 2018 at 2:27 pm (2 weeks ago)

This tree is just adorable!!! What a great idea!

15. Leen
    November 30, 2018 at 9:08 pm (2 weeks ago)

I have never seen some of those pretty moulding patterns, they are gorgeous! This project is so fun. I am thinking it would look really cute stained too!