Have you ever looked for the perfect throw pillow for your couch or bed and had trouble finding the right color or pattern to match your decor? I have – and ironically, it hadn’t crossed my mind to paint a pillowcase until the folks at Tulip For Your Home sent me some fabric paint and stencils to try.
There were so many goodies to play with. 🙂 I chose these Tulip supplies:
- Large striped stencil from Tulip
- Small chandelier stencil from Tulip
- Tulip Soft Metallic paint in Nickel
- Tulip Soft Matte paint in Blueberry
- Tulip pillow cover
- Tulip paint roller
- Tulip Stencil Spray Adhesive
1. Wash or iron the pillow cover to remove the wrinkles. Before painting, insert wax paper inside to prevent bleed-through.
2. Spray the matte side of the stencil lightly with the spray adhesive. Wait a minute and then press the stencil onto the pillow cover. It will create a temporary bond.
3. Squeeze some paint onto a disposable plate and roll the paint roller in it. Don’t oversaturate the roller.
Roll paint evenly over the stencil openings. Wait 1-2 minutes before carefully removing the stencil.
4. Clean the stencil and roller brush right away with soap and water. You can towel dry the roller to use again quickly.
Once the paint is dry from the first stencil, repeat the process with the second stencil and second paint color. (You can put masking tape or painter’s tape around the edges if you’re worried about rolling past the edge of the stencil.)
5. Clean your supplies again and let your paint dry. Then insert a pillow form in the bottom and zip it up.
Now you have a beautiful, personalized pillow to match your home decor!
I love the metallic shine of the Nickel paint- you can see it well in the photo below. And the blue matches my living room perfectly. 😉
Have you ever thought of painting a pillow?
Find more from Tulip For Your Home here:
Have a fabulous weekend!
Join the GITG Community
When you join this thriving online community of 75,000 creative souls, you'll be inspired to discover hidden artistic talents and learn skills to boldly face DIY projects with confidence.
You'll also receive my free guide "Just Paint It: 7 Tips for Transforming Furniture with Confidence."