Midcentury Buffet Gets a Classy Makeover

Midcentury buffet gets a classy makeover by Girl in the Garage.

I bought this vintage buffet with folding sides this spring at a yard sale…  I almost passed it up but I’m glad I didn’t!  It’s a very solid (heavy) piece and well made.  However it had the typical scratches, a few dings, and filthy handles that you would expect of an old piece that had probably been collecting dust in someone’s garage for twenty years or more.  I gave you a sneak peek of the buffet HERE – as a reminder, here’s what it looked like when I bought it:

Midcentury buffet gets a classy makeover by Girl in the Garage.

It also has a plaque in the drawer: Lewisburg Chair and Furniture Co.  A bit of research shows this to be from the mid-1900s.

Midcentury buffet gets a classy makeover by Girl in the Garage.

I sanded the buffet well and chose a paint color that would lighten it up – Valspar’s Sunset Nude (it looks a little white in the pics but it’s really a light cream).  Here it is after the first coat of paint:

Midcentury buffet gets a classy makeover by Girl in the Garage.

I think I applied about 3 coats total, because I wanted a crisp color.  Then I distressed very lightly on some of the edges.

The handles were disgusting.

Midcentury buffet gets a classy makeover by Girl in the Garage.My mom always seems to have the right thing that I need…  she pulled this cleaner out of a cabinet and after lots of scrubbing and rubbing – we found gold!   SOOO much prettier.  You can purchase Revere cleaner HERE.  I always try to keep the original hardware on a vintage piece if I can get it cleaned up nicely.

Midcentury buffet gets a classy makeover by Girl in the Garage.

I finished the piece with a few coats of matte poly.  I didn’t need to paint the insides of the drawers this time because the interior wood was in really good shape.

Midcentury buffet gets a classy makeover by Girl in the Garage.

Midcentury buffet gets a classy makeover by Girl in the Garage.

Midcentury buffet gets a classy makeover by Girl in the Garage.

Midcentury buffet gets a classy makeover by Girl in the Garage.

Who’s ready for a party?!    😉

This piece is currently for sale… although I think it looks really good in my dining area!

Miss any of my recent posts?  Catch up here:

Making Crepes at Flip Crepes in Chicago

A Love Story: 7 Year Anniversary

14 Creative Crafts to Try This Summer

If It's Not Baroque

14 Comments on Midcentury Buffet Gets a Classy Makeover

June 22, 2013 at 10:44 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you so much Susan! There’s no reason to be intimidated – just start on a small piece and have fun with it. 🙂

1. Susan
    June 21, 2013 at 8:00 pm (4 years ago)

I loved the table. It turned out fantastic! I wish I had a place for it

2. Karie
    June 23, 2013 at 12:57 am (4 years ago)

Beautiful buffet. I have one that is very similar. You did a beautiful job. Thanks for sharing. Karie

June 25, 2013 at 10:10 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you Krista, so glad to have you here!

3. Kirsten @ One Tough Mother
    June 25, 2013 at 8:23 am (4 years ago)

This is beautiful! I wish I had time to go thrift store shopping and yard sale shopping. My house is a little unfinished at the moment (we moved in a year ago) because I’m waiting to find those perfect pieces to finish each room. Working full-time sucks! LOL! Love the color you chose – and I’ll have to remember that cleaner when I finally do have a piece to refinish!
    Kirsten @ One Tough Mother recently posted…10 Things Tuesday – 10 Washi ProjectsMy Profile

June 25, 2013 at 11:27 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you Kirsten! I know how you feel… we’ve been here two years now and many rooms still aren’t how I want them! (Including no landscaping outside… I wish I had a green thumb.) We can only do so much at a time. Good luck finding the right pieces for your home!

4. Therena
    June 25, 2013 at 11:38 pm (4 years ago)

I love how this turned out!! I’m a sucker for white! Great job!
    Therena recently posted…Pre-Blog ProjectsMy Profile

July 10, 2013 at 7:36 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks so much Lauren, that’s great!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Midcentury Buffet Gets a Classy Makeover