The Blogger NetworkAdvertise with us Report this ad

{Hanging Hearts} DIY Valentine’s Mobile

I have never really decorated for Valentine’s Day.  I have nothing against the holiday, but I guess I’m usually still recovering from the Christmas season (yes, still!) and also preoccupied with hopes and dreams of springtime that my brain nearly skips it altogether except for a quick romantic dinner with my husband.  Slowly that’s changing as our boys are getting a bit older and I want them to be aware of what different holidays are and why we celebrate them.  So to get us all more in the V-day mood, I made this Valentine’s Day heart mobile.  (Love really is in the air!)    ;)

I got my inspiration from those gorgeous butterfly mobiles that you often see in pictures of a little girl’s nursery or bedroom.  Usually they’re pale pink and so light and airy, like the butterflies are literally flying right above you – gorgeous!  I’ve always wanted one, but I really don’t think it would go with my sons’ decor.  Here’s one from Pottery Barn Kids:

Just lovely.  Except I wanted a little more impact.  More hearts = more love, right?

Here’s what I used:

• Medium heart-shaped paper cutter, the only item I had to buy for this project
  • Various patterns of scrapbook paper and some construction paper
  • Clear Stretch Magic cord, usually used for making jewelry
  • Embroidery hoop that I rarely used
  • Clear tape, scissors

Hanging Hearts Mobile I girlinthegarage.net - Perfect for Valentine's Day or in a little girl's bedroom!

First I cut about a million little hearts out of the paper… and more… and more…  Then I estimated how long I wanted the strands to be and cut them.  Then I started taping the hearts to the cord, many of them double-sided except for the solid pink and red ones.  I put about 5-6 hearts on the shorter strands.

With the shorter strands, I taped them about 1 1/2 – 2 in. apart on the embroidery hoop.

For the longer strands (I made four), I doubled the length so there are about 10-11 hearts on each of them.  Last, the longest strands (I have three) have about 14-15 hearts each.

Then I cut two long strands for hanging the mobile and crossed them over the middle to have all four ends tied equally apart around the hoop.  Next I cut four more pieces and tied them across the inside of the hoop for hanging the longer strands.

Then I tied the rest of the heart strands to the cord inside the hoop with the longest strands closest to the center of the grid pie.  (I keep calling it a grid in my head but does it have to be a pie since it’s a circle?)  Here’s a view from above after all the strands were tied on:

I decided to hang it in an empty corner of my dining area so we can all enjoy looking at it. My husband came home from his business trip and couldn’t believe that I made it!  Here’s the view from under the mobile:

And an up-close view of all the pretty hearts:

And finally, in all it’s 30 inch (from hoop to bottom heart) glory:

And who knows, maybe one day I’ll have a reason to make one with pale pink butterflies…

xo Jen

61 Comments on {Hanging Hearts} DIY Valentine’s Mobile

January 25, 2013 at 11:35 am (2 years ago)

Thanks DeDe! Yes it took a lot longer than I thought it would, haha. I’ll stop by your party. :)

• emilia
        February 4, 2014 at 1:17 am (1 year ago)

lovely! Congratulations!

1. anna
    January 25, 2013 at 10:32 am (2 years ago)

Absolument magnifique !
    Bon weekend.
    Anna

January 25, 2013 at 11:33 am (2 years ago)

Merci beaucoup Anna!

January 25, 2013 at 2:00 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you Cathy. I read your post- you’re right, it’s almost the same story! It’s funny how much having kids changes everything! It’s more about them than it is about us anymore. :) By the way, I love the background design on your blog – I’ve been dreaming of a backsplash with that same pattern!

2. Joyce
    January 25, 2013 at 5:25 pm (2 years ago)

I absolutely love this and have had the idea on my list of things to do for quite some time. I probably would use butterflies or snowflakes, though. Your clear directions and beautiful photos are what will probably get me off the couch and into the craft room.Thank you!
    Joyce recently posted…Love Bug Party Bag!My Profile

January 25, 2013 at 7:09 pm (2 years ago)

That’s so sweet Joyce, thank you! And I love the snowflake idea- I might have to make another one now. You just inspired me too! ;)

3. Laura@live-love-scrap
    January 25, 2013 at 10:44 pm (2 years ago)

Love, love, love this!!! I’ve seen butterfly mobiles before, but never a heart mobile. . . it’s so cute, I think you should keep it out all year!!

January 25, 2013 at 10:53 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks for stopping by Laura – I just might keep it out a little longer! Hearts shouldn’t just be limited to Valentine’s Day, right?

January 26, 2013 at 3:05 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Nancy, I’ll stop by!

4. Susan
    January 26, 2013 at 7:42 am (2 years ago)

I love this. Love is in the air. It will brighten up any room. Thanks for showing is how to make it.

January 26, 2013 at 9:00 am (2 years ago)

Thanks for stopping by, Brenda!

January 26, 2013 at 2:42 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Lynn, I appreciate it!

January 26, 2013 at 2:41 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you so much, Lola! Glad you stopped by.

January 26, 2013 at 8:06 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks so much Nessa! Glad to have you visit!

5. Sue
    January 26, 2013 at 7:51 pm (2 years ago)

I love it!

January 26, 2013 at 8:06 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you Sue!

January 27, 2013 at 1:47 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you Leigh Anne. I will definitely stop by your party!

6. Kelly @ Eclectically Vintage
    January 27, 2013 at 4:56 pm (2 years ago)

Super cute – I’ve been wanting to do this with my daughter and her huge origami crane collection!

Pinning this – have a great night.
    Kelly

January 27, 2013 at 8:38 pm (2 years ago)

Kelly- cranes would also look amazing! And if they’re already made then the hard part’s already done. Thanks for stopping by!

7. Abby
    January 27, 2013 at 7:54 pm (2 years ago)

This is so gorgeous! My boys will roll their eyes, but I just might have to make one of these to add to our Valentine’s Day decor. I hope you don’t mind, I linked to this post on my blog bc I was just so smitten with it! Thanks for sharing!!!

~Abby =)
    Abby recently posted…Valentines, Valentines, and More ValentinesMy Profile

January 27, 2013 at 8:35 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Abby! I’m lucky my boys are still young enough to think the mobile is cool. :) Of course I don’t mind if you mention my project- thanks for letting me know though!

8. ChiWei
    January 28, 2013 at 8:23 am (2 years ago)

Very pretty! I have a hard time tying the strands to have it hang evenly, so I’ll try your method sometime. Thanks for sharing!

January 28, 2013 at 1:28 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks! The clear Stretch Magic cord worked wonderfully. Good luck with it!

January 28, 2013 at 1:29 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks for stopping by, Melanie!

January 29, 2013 at 8:39 am (2 years ago)

Emily, it did take a while… I worked on it for about 3 nights after the boys went to bed. Thankfully I didn’t have to cut out all the hearts by hand though! The paper cutter was great and the Stretch Magic cord was very easy to work with. You could also make a smaller version if you don’t have a lot of time to spend on it. Good luck!

January 29, 2013 at 5:20 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Heather! :)

9. Kathryn Griffin @TheDedicatedHouse
    January 30, 2013 at 1:44 pm (2 years ago)

OMGoodness! That is so cute and whimsical! I love it!! Thank you for sharing and thank you for the visit and sweet comment at The Dedicated House. It means the world. Would love it if you would share this post at my Make it Pretty Monday party. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2013/01/make-it-pretty-monday-week-34.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse
    Kathryn Griffin @TheDedicatedHouse recently posted…Need New Windows?My Profile

January 31, 2013 at 7:49 am (2 years ago)

Thank you, Kathryn! I would love to stop by your party :)

10. Diana Rambles
    January 31, 2013 at 1:06 pm (2 years ago)

These are so pretty! They don’t even took to hard to make, but have a HUGE impact! Thanks for linking up to my Pin Me Party!
    Diana Rambles recently posted…Customized Gift Card WalletMy Profile

January 31, 2013 at 1:35 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks for the sweet comment Diana. :)

February 3, 2013 at 11:50 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you so much Kathryn! Now I’ll drift happily off to sleep……. ;)

11. Marilyn
    February 8, 2013 at 3:15 pm (2 years ago)

What a fun project…although I’m sure it was time consuming but worth it! Thanks for sharing at the Loving Valentine’s Day Party!

Marilyn

12. Jeanette
    February 10, 2013 at 10:21 am (2 years ago)

Thank you so much for visiting Homa Style and linking your Valentine Heart Strings and cute mobile. {wish I had a granddaughter!!
    Have a wonderful Valentines Day!
    Remember to visit again on the last Wednesday of February for the Inspire Me link party.
    Jeanette recently posted…Comment on Hey Girl by Kelly @ View Along the WayMy Profile

February 12, 2014 at 9:37 am (1 year ago)

That’s awesome, thank you Amanda! :)

11Pingbacks & Trackbacks on {Hanging Hearts} DIY Valentine’s Mobile

1. […] Hanging Hearts Mobile @ Girl in the Garage […]

2. […] And Jen from Girl in the Garage DIY-ed an adorable hanging heart Valentine’s mobile. […]

3. […] Hanging Hearts Mobile – Girl in the Garage […]