Antique Repurposed Radio Cabinet

I Brake For Yard Sales.  That should be a bumper sticker, don’t you think?

Last summer I was driving along, minding my own business, and I saw one of those yard sales that practically makes you slam on your brakes and make a beeline over to see all the goodies.  It was all antique furniture and junkin’ treasures, and it all needed TLC.  Some of it was even a little too dirty and rustic for me.  But this antique radio cabinet was one piece that caught my eye!

Repurposed antique radio cabinet to bookcase - by Girl in the Garage

**Hey guys!  It’s Furniture Fixer Upper day, so don’t forget to visit the other creative makeovers at the end of this post.  🙂

Someone had removed the insides and the back panel.

Repurposed antique radio cabinet to bookcase - by Girl in the Garage

The whole thing was super glazed and the top was… weird.

Repurposed antique radio cabinet to bookcase - by Girl in the Garage

And the veneer was buckling on the sides.  We definitely had our work cut out for us.

Repurposed antique radio cabinet to bookcase - by Girl in the Garage

This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience so you can easily find the products I used.

I smoothed down the top of the radio cabinet with my orbital sander and filled the crack with wood filler.

Mr. GITG started cutting some wood to fill the side gaps on the bottom shelf and in the meantime I was impatient and started painting the inside.  (An old light blue paint sample from Lowe’s.)

Repurposed antique radio cabinet to bookcase - by Girl in the Garage

He also cut a brand new shelf – it doesn’t go all the way to the front because I wanted some extra space there and I didn’t want the shelf to interrupt the pretty open view from the front side.  The pieces were glued with wood glue and also nailed directly in from the outside (the nail heads would be hidden anyway).

Repurposed antique radio cabinet to bookcase - by Girl in the Garage

The outside of the cabinet was painted in Raw Silk by Fusion Mineral Paint (the new-to-me paint I’ve been trying and liking lately).

I nailed a beadboard panel on the back, just like you’d attach a back panel when assembling one of those inexpensive bookshelves from Target or Walmart – just make sure to measure carefully.

Repurposed antique radio cabinet to bookcase - by Girl in the Garage

I ripped off the buckling veneer and also put beadboard on each side of the cabinet, gluing with E6000 and then weighing it down and waiting about 24 hours before removing.

Repurposed antique radio cabinet to bookcase - by Girl in the Garage

**Here’s how to weigh down super glue until it dries….  haha.

Repurposed antique radio cabinet to bookcase - by Girl in the Garage

And here is the antique radio cabinet all finished:

Repurposed antique radio cabinet to bookcase - by Girl in the Garage

Repurposed radio cabinet to bookcase…

Repurposed antique radio cabinet to bookcase - by Girl in the Garage

I love that it’s neutral and can work in so many different rooms, yet it has that unexpected pop of blue inside.

Repurposed antique radio cabinet to bookcase - by Girl in the Garage

What do you think?  Would you have used beadboard or something else for the back and sides of this cabinet?  I’d love to hear your thoughts in a comment below.

Repurposed antique radio cabinet to bookcase - by Girl in the Garage

This will be available in my space at the Three Little Birds Market next month… and I’m still working on several more pieces too.  The next two weeks will be very busy for me!

Repurposed antique radio cabinet to bookcase - by Girl in the Garage

Friends, visit my creative Furniture Fixer Upper buddies and see what they’ve been up to…

Furniture Fixer Uppers - April 2017

Below are the Before photos – click the blog names under the photos to see the After and the full tutorial.

Furniture Fixer Uppers - April 2017 1. Confessions of a Serial DIYer
2. Petticoat Junktion
3. Just the Woods
4. Prodigal Pieces
5. The Interior Frugalista

Talk soon!

Click here for my free printable resource list: 11 Items to Always Buy While Thrifting

27 Comments on Antique Repurposed Radio Cabinet

1. Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces
    April 27, 2017 at 4:56 am (2 months ago)

I would have stopped too! This is a gorgeous piece and you know I love old radios. what a save from top to bottom, Jen. Love it!

2. Marcie Lovett
    April 27, 2017 at 6:41 am (2 months ago)

Beautiful, Jen! The blue is the perfect touch for the inside and the beadboard was a great addition.

May 2, 2017 at 7:09 pm (2 months ago)

Thanks so much, Marcie! I plan on using beadboard again when I can. I’m really pleased with how it turned out.

3. Chris
    April 27, 2017 at 7:21 am (2 months ago)

Hi! I’m visiting from Christy’s page at Confessions of a Serial DIYer. I got lost when you said you “ripped off the bucking veneer” and applied beadboard to the sides as well with the E6000 glue. I can see on the back that it was laid on and glued or nailed to the furniture but the sides look like they’re under the end moldings. Did the paneling slide into grooves? I’m not understanding how you got it to look like it was original to the piece without totally taking it apart. Sorry for being a beginner. I love the finished look.

May 2, 2017 at 7:08 pm (2 months ago)

Hi Chris, thanks for visiting! The new paneling fit inside the existing trim on the cabinet. I didn’t completely remove the old sides, just part of the thin veneer layer that was damaged. With the new beadboard, the sides are pretty much flush now. Hope that helps to make sense 🙂

May 2, 2017 at 7:05 pm (2 months ago)

Oh yes, definitely cute in a bathroom! Thanks Christy XO

4. Marie|The Interior Frugalista
    April 27, 2017 at 8:24 am (2 months ago)

If only they could see this cabinet now! I think the beadboard looks great and I love the pop of blue on the inside. I’m sure this beautiful cabinet will sell quickly for you, Jen.

May 2, 2017 at 7:04 pm (2 months ago)

Thank you Marie, I hope so – fingers crossed!

May 2, 2017 at 7:04 pm (2 months ago)

Ha! Thanks Kandice! Now you know my secrets 😉

May 2, 2017 at 7:03 pm (2 months ago)

Thanks Kathy! Some of the veneer was stuck and I didn’t want to mess with it. Haha. I’ve been wanting to use beadboard anyway 🙂

5. Susan
    April 27, 2017 at 10:05 am (2 months ago)

Definitely a talent!! Looks beautiful ❤️

6. Jane
    April 27, 2017 at 10:56 am (2 months ago)

Beautiful job

7. Just Justin
    April 27, 2017 at 12:12 pm (2 months ago)

The finished product looks like it was meant to be that way all along. It is an oriJENal. 😉

The beadboard is a great addition…I can’t think of anything that would’ve looked better! 🙂

Also, I’m glad I’m not the only one that uses books, hand weights, and other miscellaneous items as glue weights. I had my wife sit on something for a few hours once while she was reading and I was furniture flipping. 🙂

May 2, 2017 at 7:02 pm (2 months ago)

Haha! Thanks so much Justin! Nice to know there are others with quirky tricks when DIYing 🙂

8. Rose L.
    April 27, 2017 at 2:02 pm (2 months ago)

Beautiful! You did a wonderful job restoring the beauty you saw in it.
    Rose L. recently posted…NATURE AND OREGONMy Profile

9. Anna Edwards
    April 28, 2017 at 6:15 am (2 months ago)

Love everything about it! Just curious as to why you would use E6000 to glue the beadboard down rather than wood glue and a nail gun?

May 2, 2017 at 7:01 pm (2 months ago)

Great question! There are a few reasons… 1. The sides are too thin to use nails. 2. The wood glue we have expands when it dries, and I didn’t want it pushing the beadboard out and making it uneven in places. 3. I use E6000 quite often and it’s my go-to glue when the other options don’t seem like they’ll work out.

10. Melissa
    April 28, 2017 at 7:54 am (2 months ago)

You inspire me ! I love what you did .
    Thanks !

May 2, 2017 at 6:58 pm (2 months ago)

Thanks so much, Melissa! Inspiring people is my goal 🙂

11. Paula
    April 29, 2017 at 6:05 am (2 months ago)

Great makeover, Jen! I can think of so many places that this could be used in a home.

12. PC
    April 29, 2017 at 4:14 pm (2 months ago)

I am looking for one of these for a bar – I let my sister have my parents’

13. Kathy
    April 29, 2017 at 4:21 pm (2 months ago)

I absolutely love this! I believe it’s my favorite repurposing project I’ve come across! And trust me, I look at these ideas for hours everyday trying to get ideas and just being jealous of all of you talented, creative people! This is exactly my style!

May 2, 2017 at 6:57 pm (2 months ago)

Aww thanks so much Kathy! Your comment made my day 🙂

14. Karen Marie Kedzuch
    April 30, 2017 at 6:05 pm (2 months ago)

Jen,
    You sure dressed up this wayward radio cabinet. Now it has a purpose and it looks pretty too.
    Fabulous,