Today I thought I’d share some of my favorite ways to save money while decorating.
It would be great if we all had unlimited bank accounts to hire professional decorators to make our homes gorgeous, but that’s not very practical or very fun, right? DIY’ing your decor helps your budget and can give you a sense of accomplishment.
Also- you’ll have one-of-a-kind pieces that your neighbors won’t have! 😉
(And be sure to scroll all the way down to the $200 gift card giveaway!)
1. Instead of buying new furniture, update pieces you already have with new paint and hardware.
2. Create your own DIY art and decor.
1. Bejeweled Bottles 2. Song Lyric Wall Art
3. Washi Tape Clip Magnets 4. Rose Heart Art
5. Hanging Mobile 6. Decoupaged Bottles
7. French Flower Seed Tray 8. Vintage Linen as Art
3. Make or decorate throw pillows to match your decor.
1. DIY Stenciled Pillow 2. Sweater Pillows by StoneGable
3. 30-Minute Envelope Pillow by Natty by Design
4. Drop Cloth Pillow with Iron-on Images
4. Create your own less expensive “knockoff” of something from a high-end home store. Here are some examples:
5. Make your own slipcovers or curtains for much less than buying them new.
1. DIY Drop Cloth Shower Curtain
2. Slipcovering an Armless Chair by Confessions of a Serial Do-it-Yourselfer
3. No-Sew Drop Cloth Curtains by Our Southern Home
4. Chevron Ottoman Slipcover by Beneath My Heart
5. Grommet Top Curtains by The Shabby Creek Cottage
6. DIY Shower Curtain by Makely Home
7. How to Make Curtains by Two Twenty One
8. Slipcovering Tips by Cedar Hill Farmhouse
6. Give items a completely different purpose than what they were originally intended for.
1. Garage Organizer turned Chic Storage
2. Dresser Turned Bathroom Vanity by Domestic Imperfection
3. TV Armoire turned Clothes Storage 4. Coat Hooks as Jewelry Holders
By using things you already have or making things yourself, you will save money and reduce waste- which is good for your wallet, good for the planet, and good for your peace of mind. Often when we bring new/additional items into our homes we are adding to the abundance of “stuff” – and we must find a place to store it, keep it clean, mend it when broken, etc.
Reuse, Repurpose, Recycle, DIY, Simplify!
What tips do you have to share?
To save more money, use coupons! Get Mother’s Day Coupon Codes HERE.
*Also enter to win a $200 gift card to the winner’s choice of Target, West Elm, or Home Depot!*
(Sorry, U.S. Residents Only)
Visit the other blogs below for more great tips to save money and simplify your home!
Brave New Home | Crafting in the Rain | Dukes and Duchesses | Girl in the Garage | Glued to My Crafts | Happy Go Lucky | It Happens in a Blink | Mom Home Guide | The Pinning Mama | The Thrifty Groove | unOriginal Mom | Up to Date Interiors
Lauren @ Mom Home Guide says
I love your tips! I totally agree that it’s better to DIY it than pay retail — it’s also a whole lot more fun! I recently got a new sofa, and have been having the best time making homemade pillows for it!
[email protected] of a Serial Do-it-Yourselfer says
Awesome round up of inspiration, Jen! Thanks for including two of my projects! I think there are a lot of people out there that really don’t have an idea of how to get started updating what they have, or just need a push in the right direction!
Wow! What a great collection of ideas!
Jennifer @ Brave New Home says
Great tips! I totally believing in DIYing and upcycling every chance you get : ]
Stteph @ Crafting in the Rain says
What great ideas–I love all those furniture makeovers!
Meredith @ unOriginalMom says
SO many great ideas here!! Lots of great DIY inspiration!
Meredith @ unOriginalMom recently posted…Simple Pantry Labels and a Giveaway!
Therese @ Fresh Idea Studio says
Super fun Jen! Love it all.
Hope your Mother’s Day was an awesome one!
Therese @ Fresh Idea Studio recently posted…How to clean copper fast
Thanks so much Therese! Hope you had a great Mother’s Day also! 🙂
Charlene Shepler says
I love this website. It has some great ideas.