Lane Chest Makeover + Goodwill Story

It was a Friday afternoon, and I popped into Goodwill as a last-minute decision when I was driving through the neighborhood.  As usual, I headed straight through to the back where all the furniture was kept.  My expectations were low.

I leaned over the back of a big cabinet and something low to the ground (and pretty well hidden) caught my eye.  It was a vintage chest and the wood carvings really got me excited – even though it had a strange finish on top and on the sides where it looked like someone tried to re-stain it.  The price tag totally bummed me out though.  I mean, I know Goodwill has gotten more expensive across the country, but I really really wanted this chest.

I found an employee nearby and shyly asked if there were any special discounts going on.  She said no, but the next day everything would be 50% off!  Wahoo!

I was so afraid someone would scoop it up before I got the chance.  First thing in the morning, my mom and I got there ten minutes early but there were already six people ahead of us in line.  Oh great, I thought.  I kept psyching myself out thinking several of them were there just for that chest – MY chest.

Finally the door was unlocked and people slowly filed in.  When it was my turn I calmly walked (yeah right – I RAN) through the store and I was the first one to the chest!  I ripped that tag off and claimed my treasure.  (No one else was even near me… LOL.  Apparently they weren’t there for the chest after all.)Vintage Lane chest makeover with added feet and Fusion Mineral Paint - by Girl in the Garage

I paid (half price!), the guys loaded it up in the back of the car, and I felt like I had gotten away with something sneaky.   I was so excited that I hadn’t even looked it over very well.

We got home and unloaded it, and it wasn’t until I started taking the Before photos that I realized it was a Lane Chest.  Duh.  No wonder it was so well made (all cedar inside) and Goodwill had it priced high.  I loved it even more – but it needed some updating for sure.

It was so low that it was kind of awkward to bend over and open.  I know now that it probably had casters originally.  For this Lane chest makeover, we opted to add curvy bun feet to the bottom for more height, with a simple kit from Lowe’s.

Then I painted the outside with (affiliate link) Fusion Mineral Paint in Raw Silk.  This color is gorgeous – and one reason I chose FMP is because it doesn’t require a topcoat and starts curing by itself quickly (we were under a short timeline to finish pieces for the market a couple weeks ago).

Here she is…

Vintage Lane chest makeover with added feet and Fusion Mineral Paint - by Girl in the Garage Vintage Lane chest makeover with added feet and Fusion Mineral Paint - by Girl in the Garage

I believe it had a big cushion on it a long time ago, so it could also be used as a bench seat.

This vintage Lane chest looks decades newer now, still with the same original good bones it always had.  I’m happy to say it found a forever home.  🙂

Tell me your thoughts about this Lane chest makeover in a comment below – would you have updated this differently?  Then, I’d love if you’d Pin or share this with a friend.  Thank you!

You may also like these chest makeovers:

Farmhouse Style Wooden Chest

Farmhouse Style Wooden Chest Makeover - Girl in the Garage

Chest Makeover with Layered Paint Technique

Chest Makeover with Layered Paint Technique - Girl in the Garage

47 Comments on Lane Chest Makeover + Goodwill Story

1. Ruth
    August 1, 2017 at 12:42 pm (5 months ago)

Great find and a great job with your vision – bun feet a nice addition.

August 1, 2017 at 9:35 pm (5 months ago)

Thanks so much, Ruth! I love those elegant curvy bun feet 🙂

2. Kathleen MacEllis
    August 1, 2017 at 12:43 pm (5 months ago)

Oh my gosh ! The Lane Cedar Chest turned out beautifully! I too found one at GW and it’s been sitting in the garage. I hope you don’t mind if I borrow some of your ideas !

August 1, 2017 at 6:16 pm (5 months ago)

I don’t mind at all, thank you Kathleen! 🙂

3. Rose L.
    August 1, 2017 at 12:58 pm (5 months ago)

Nice makeover. I had a Lane chest for years which was early American style. I ended up selling it for $20 after owning it for 50 years!
    Rose L. recently posted…LEARNING POETRY IDEASMy Profile

August 1, 2017 at 9:36 pm (5 months ago)

Oh no! 🙁 Old Lane chests around here (even ones that need updating) still have high asking prices… I was really lucky to get mine for half price.

4. Michele Main
    August 1, 2017 at 1:07 pm (5 months ago)

looks so great! nice job! Love seeing all your great ideas!

5. Susan
    August 1, 2017 at 1:13 pm (5 months ago)

Fantastic piece, so glad you were able to obtain it. I would have been waiting in line for it…LOL

August 1, 2017 at 9:37 pm (5 months ago)

Thank you Susan. 🙂 Nobody was going to beat me to that chest, LOL!

6. Jolinda
    August 1, 2017 at 1:14 pm (5 months ago)

the legs made a world of difference. Love it and hope it sells.

August 1, 2017 at 9:38 pm (5 months ago)

7. Charlene Hansen
    August 1, 2017 at 1:41 pm (5 months ago)

Love, love love this! The color totally enhances the detail. How much did you sell it for??? It should have commanded a good price!

August 1, 2017 at 9:39 pm (5 months ago)

Thanks so much, Charlene! We had it listed at the market for a high price but we really didn’t want to bring it home, so finally we discounted it for a very nice buyer. 🙂

8. Hope Williams
    August 1, 2017 at 1:46 pm (5 months ago)

Great find and it turned out great! Agree wholeheartedly about goodwill and their prices!

August 1, 2017 at 9:41 pm (5 months ago)

Oh yes! It’s very hit and miss around here – that’s why I don’t look there as often as I used to. Thank you Hope. 🙂

9. Debi
    August 1, 2017 at 2:01 pm (5 months ago)

Nice! I think the trip back and standng in line was well worth the effort!

August 1, 2017 at 9:41 pm (5 months ago)

Thanks Debi! I would’ve been SO bummed if I didn’t get it!

10. Marsha
    August 1, 2017 at 2:09 pm (5 months ago)

Wow! Jean! Awesome job! And those feet are soooo cute!

August 1, 2017 at 9:42 pm (5 months ago)

Thanks so much, Marsha! They were so easy to add and it looks like they were always meant to be there. 🙂

11. Marsha
    August 1, 2017 at 2:09 pm (5 months ago)

Sorry Jen not Jean! Darn autocorrect!

12. Wendy
    August 1, 2017 at 2:40 pm (5 months ago)

Looks great! The feet were perfect. Don’t know what you did on the inside (I’m guessing nothing if it’s cedar so that wonderful smell would come through?), but for some reason my brain is screaming to see it with a surprising pop of color inside. Maybe a bright spring green or saturated rose. So I’ll just imagine it that way 🙂

August 1, 2017 at 9:44 pm (5 months ago)

A bright color would’ve been fun! But I left the inside alone – there were several markings stamped inside (serial numbers, etc.) and I didn’t want to cover them up. Plus, the cedar was in perfect condition. 🙂

13. Cora
    August 1, 2017 at 2:44 pm (5 months ago)

Very nice, Jen! I also just finished a chest I found on Craigslist and love the storage it gives. Unfortunately, mine is quite old and the musty smell inside the pine interior just won’t go away. I tried everything and eventually had to seal it with clear shellac (gasp! Defeating the purpose of the Pine) and it is still there! I am going to try another product by Zinsser that hopefully will help. The smell makes the idea of storing anything in there kind of yucky.

August 1, 2017 at 9:46 pm (5 months ago)

Oh that stinks! (pun not intended, haha) I painted a stinky dresser a couple months ago and the only thing that got the cigarette smell out was when I left white vinegar in little bowls inside the drawers for like a week. Hope that helps – good luck, Cora!

14. Debbie
    August 1, 2017 at 3:24 pm (5 months ago)

❤️❤️❤️

August 1, 2017 at 9:47 pm (5 months ago)

15. Pat Hilgendorf
    August 1, 2017 at 3:35 pm (5 months ago)

I love it! The light paint made all the difference!

August 1, 2017 at 9:47 pm (5 months ago)

Thanks so much, Pat – I agree! 🙂

16. Helen
    August 1, 2017 at 5:23 pm (5 months ago)

I was at one of our local Goodwill’s last week and picked up an upholstered (original golf scene) bench. It was in great shape not a blemish on it. Found it still had the furniture store tags on the bottom.

I got it for $7.99 it was a great find.

Had some lovely fabric at home with french wording and blue butterflies just waiting for a new project. I found it. Redid it and painted the dark feet a creamy beige. Looks great. Even my husband thought so!

Gotta love thrift stores.

August 1, 2017 at 9:50 pm (5 months ago)

Ohh, what an amazing deal! You scored big time, Helen!

17. Terry P
    August 1, 2017 at 6:05 pm (5 months ago)

Love how you painted it and added those great feet!!! It looks amazing :o)

August 1, 2017 at 9:51 pm (5 months ago)

Thanks so much, Terry!

August 1, 2017 at 9:51 pm (5 months ago)

Thank you so much, Sharon – I really appreciate it 🙂

18. nitpicker
    August 1, 2017 at 8:07 pm (5 months ago)

Beautiful! The wood carvings get all the attention now. Love it!

August 1, 2017 at 9:52 pm (5 months ago)

Thank you – those carvings deserved some special attention 🙂

19. Naomi S.
    August 1, 2017 at 9:55 pm (5 months ago)

The chest is tons better in the white than before in the dark color and you did a great job. I especially like that you added the chubby feet to raise the height. For myself, though, I think I would like it a little better in a light to medium grey color with some stain used on the carvings on the front to bring them out more. That’s just how I envisioned it when I first saw it. But, that’s just my version. Yours is just fine, also.

20. Kelly Howard
    August 1, 2017 at 10:28 pm (5 months ago)

I think your color choice was perfect. I love these old chests. They make me feel so nostalgic because I am such an old soul. I love this piece, dear…A+++

21. Melva
    August 2, 2017 at 1:22 am (5 months ago)

I just love how it turned out! I would not change a thing. Great job!

22. Allison
    August 2, 2017 at 9:16 am (5 months ago)

I just restored a Lane hope chest for a client recently. You know they have serial numbers on the back that can help you figure out the year it was made? Mine was from 76. I was disappointing to find the top was MDF when I had to replace some screws – I could clearly see the fiber board under the hinge -and then the top was veneer! I couldn’t sand deep enough to remove the scratches so I ended up adding a new veneer top! I really expected better quality from Lane so now I’m all disillusioned. 🙁 It came out ok in the end but I’ll do better with that type of veneer I used next time. It was really flimsy and hard to control. Your example today is just stunning! Love it!

23. Lynn
    August 2, 2017 at 1:19 pm (5 months ago)

Nice job! I painted a similar chest a month or two ago, but never thought of adding legs! Might have to do that.

August 7, 2017 at 9:44 pm (4 months ago)

Thank you, Lynn! It really is easy to add feet, and most home improvement stores have a pretty good selection. 🙂

24. Melissa
    August 2, 2017 at 7:00 pm (5 months ago)

This is stunning in white!

I wanted to mention if anyone has a Lane chest that was made prior to 1988 you should get a lock replacement from the company due to suffocation hazard. you can order a free one on their website. I received free replacement locks for my mother and m-i-l’s cedar chests. Read more here: https://www.lanefurniture.com/about/product-safety

August 7, 2017 at 9:43 pm (4 months ago)

Thanks so much for adding that information, Melissa!

25. Marie
    August 3, 2017 at 2:49 pm (5 months ago)

Talk about a “start the car, start the car” moment. Those feet from Lowe’s were meant for that chest – they look stunning paired with those beautiful details on the front of the chest. Awesome Goodwill score! Really lovely makeover, Jen and I have no doubt that baby had a SOLD sign on it very quickly. Pinned
    Marie recently posted…DIY Whimsical Teapot Wind ChimesMy Profile

August 7, 2017 at 9:40 pm (4 months ago)

Thanks so much, Nancy! 🙂