Farmhouse Style Antique Dining Set Makeover

Two and a half years.

That’s how long it’s been since I loaded up my car with this antique dining set from a yard sale, with the wonky table legs that had been removed and then reattached the wrong way, and then it went to live in my dark storage unit (aka Furniture Purgatory).

The months and years passed but I couldn’t get over the nerves of doing an entire dining set makeover.  And to be honest, staining still intimidates me.

DIY antique carved dining set makeover with stained top and Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in a farmhouse style finish. Girl in the Garage

We gave up the storage unit about a month ago which meant a LOT of furniture was coming to our house and we had to get moving on makeovers!

** Guys it’s Furniture Fixer Uppers day, so stick around to the end to see 5 more bonus furniture makeovers from my blogging friends.  Also, I’ve included a few affiliate links in this post to help you find products I use and recommend.  Enjoy  🙂

Thankfully, my hero Guy in the Garage volunteered to tackle sanding and restaining the table top.  (Here’s a link to some inexpensive random orbit sanders which make this job much easier)

It has such a beautiful wood grain, and the old orangey stain had to go.

He applied two coats of Minwax’s Wood Finish stain in Espresso for a rich brown top.

And then he protected it with three coats of Rustoleum’s Matte Varathane Polyurethane.  (I tried it over white Chalk Paint once and didn’t like it, but it gives a really nice finish over the stain.)

I call it the Tiger Table – just look at those stripes.   Rawr.

The chairs and bottom of the table were painted in Annie Sloan’s Chalk Paint in Old Ochre.  I had about half a can to use and the paint was fairly thick, so it came off the brush in an already-distressed sort of way.  I did 2-3 coats as needed and then sanded a little for a smooth finish.

Here’s the finished set (not including two table leaves which you can see in the sanding photo above):

It has a farmhouse style vibe, don’t you think?  I absolutely adore the carvings on the chairs and haven’t seen anything like them before.  The Old Ochre does a great job of highlighting them.

It was our goal to finish this for the market and it kind of ending up being the focal piece.  This set got lots of attention and compliments but it’s still available for now.  We will be taking it to my booth soon.

I think it would look gorgeous in a breakfast nook or on an enclosed porch.

I have a few other dining sets I’ve been hoarding holding onto for far too long, so now that I have a good helper we may be able to clear a few more out of the garage this summer.  🙂

Have you refinished a dining set before- if so what did you think of it?  They’re a lot of work but worth it in the end!  What type of project have you been putting off for ages?  I’d love to hear about it – just leave a comment below.

Now it’s time to see five more creative furniture makeovers from my blogging friends!

Below are the Before photos – click the links underneath to see the Afters and learn how they did it.

Furniture Fixer Uppers - May 2017
1. Petticoat Junktion
2. Prodigal Pieces
3. The Interior Frugalista
4. Confessions of a Serial DIYer
5. Just the Woods

30 Comments on Farmhouse Style Antique Dining Set Makeover

1. Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces
    May 25, 2017 at 4:43 am (5 months ago)

Jen, you made this table go from boring to BAM! Love the refreshed new look. Sharing!

2. Sherry Stuifbergen
    May 25, 2017 at 7:13 am (5 months ago)

The stained top is absolutely gorgeous, but I love grainy oak. The chairs are what are beautiful with the design highlighted. They look stunning. What a marvelous makeover. Thank you for the post.

May 29, 2017 at 11:33 am (5 months ago)

Thanks so much, Sherry – glad you like it!

3. Lena
    May 25, 2017 at 7:45 am (5 months ago)

Great job! I love re-doing dining sets in that color scheme – dark stained top and light base. I’ve found it to be the most popular combination and it sells quickly.

May 29, 2017 at 11:32 am (5 months ago)

Thanks so much, Lena! I love the look of dark stain and light paint too.

4. Marcie Lovett
    May 25, 2017 at 8:11 am (5 months ago)

I’m just getting used to the stained/painted combo look. That was a lot of work, but it is a treasure now! The paint really brings out the details on the chair backs.

I just brought home a set of two small dressers and a vanity that fits between them. Can’t wait to see the sun again so I can take them outside and work some magic. (It would be nice to get the rest of the collected pieces finished, too. Daggone free section of craigslist!)

5. Marie|The Interior Frugalista
    May 25, 2017 at 8:35 am (5 months ago)

I bet it feels so good to have finally tackled this makeover – it looks fabulous, Jen! Old Ochre is the one color from the ASCP line that I haven’t tried yet and I’m quite liking it on your table paired with that gorgeous stained top! I’ve had a dining set collecting dust in the workshop for a few years now too with similar chairs to yours. Painting chairs is a beast, as you know, and I’ve been putting it off. Maybe it’s time to just get er done. Pinned 🙂

May 29, 2017 at 11:31 am (5 months ago)

Thank you Marie. Old Ochre has been one of my favorites!

6. Becky
    May 25, 2017 at 8:47 am (5 months ago)

WOW! Reeeeeally nice job on this! I love it!

May 29, 2017 at 11:31 am (5 months ago)

Thanks so much, Becky!

7. Christy
    May 25, 2017 at 10:21 am (5 months ago)

This looks amazing, Jen! The top of that table is gorgeous! Hopefully this will sell quickly for you in your new booth. 😊

May 29, 2017 at 11:31 am (5 months ago)

Thank you Christy! I found out two of my big pieces there just sold, so it seems like there will be just enough room for this set. xo

8. Billie
    May 25, 2017 at 12:00 pm (5 months ago)

I love it!! I’m so proud of you two!

May 29, 2017 at 11:30 am (5 months ago)

Thank you Billie! We both enjoy working on projects together and watching them transform. 🙂

9. Linda
    May 25, 2017 at 12:25 pm (5 months ago)

This set now just sings!

10. lisa a.
    May 25, 2017 at 12:41 pm (5 months ago)

Lovely!! No wax over the white legs and chairs????

May 29, 2017 at 11:28 am (5 months ago)

Thank you Lisa! And I’m surprised you’re the only person who asked about that. 🙂 Actually I did use wax at first, but I don’t love using it and I didn’t love how it looked on the chairs. So I painted back over it and then tried something new to me – Fusion Mineral Paint’s Tough Coat which is a wipe-on poly (supposed to be matte and non-yellowing). So far I like it! I’m going to update the post, so thank you for reminding me.

11. Just Justin
    May 25, 2017 at 2:38 pm (5 months ago)

Oh my word! The carvings on the chair back are so cool!!! Wonderful job! 🙂

Did the Polyurethane Varathane discolor the paint when you used it before?

May 29, 2017 at 11:25 am (5 months ago)

Thank you Justin! I only tried a small test area with the Varathane over white paint before, but it did leave a slight yellow tint and wasn’t quite as matte as I hoped it would be.

12. Cherie
    May 25, 2017 at 8:54 pm (5 months ago)

Cute, cute, cute !!!

13. JaneEllen
    May 26, 2017 at 12:03 am (5 months ago)

How I would just love to have that dining set, gorgeous rehab. I was thinking might have been lovely to stain backs of chairs as table top done. The white looks really great, my mind is just wondering how the chair backs would look stained. Something to think about with next dining set. Perhaps stain the seats also. Please forgive my suggestion if out of order. I love the old fashioned chairs like your set has.
    Enjoy weekend

May 29, 2017 at 11:23 am (5 months ago)

Thank you JaneEllen. I did actually consider staining the seats of the chairs, but we were working on so many projects on a deadline for the market that it was faster to just paint the entire chair. I do like how they turned out but may consider staining the chairs on a future dining set makeover. 🙂

14. Jeralyn | Flip N' Find Furniture
    May 27, 2017 at 5:34 pm (5 months ago)

Jen, I love how this dining set turned out. BEAUTIFUL! I did have to giggle when I read it had been 2 years since you snagged this LOL. Its nice to know I’m not the only furniture hoarder:) I may or may not have a few pieces that have hung around for a couple years waiting for their makeover haha

May 29, 2017 at 11:20 am (5 months ago)

Haha! I’m trying to get better at working on what I already have. It can be so hard to pass up a good deal though! 😉

15. Deborah Gullett
    May 28, 2017 at 12:38 am (5 months ago)

Perfect! I love them! Wishing I had someplace for them.

16. Dixie Lee
    May 29, 2017 at 3:48 pm (5 months ago)

At the beginning of the post I thought I would hate it but it is gorgeous!!!!!!

May 29, 2017 at 10:32 pm (5 months ago)

HAHAHA! Thank you Dixie Lee! 🙂

17. Lori Mendoza
    August 3, 2017 at 7:01 am (3 months ago)

Hi Jen
    I just wanted to say thank you for sharing you projects online and how you are able to achieve the finished look. You are very clear and easy to follow on your steps towards working on any of the projects. I tend to doubt myself but after reading your step by step instructions I feel more confident that I too may be able to complete something similar.
    Thank you again. I really do appreciate it.
    Sincerely,
    Lori

August 7, 2017 at 9:42 pm (3 months ago)

Lori, thank you so much for the sweet compliment. I always try to give clear instructions, so I really appreciate it! (And yes, you can do these projects too!) 🙂