Brand New Booth + Market News

Hey guys, I have some exciting news today!  I’ve been a busy girl making plans and working on some fun things behind the scenes.  As you may know, I’ve had a booth in an antique mall for almost 4 years.  For a while now, I’ve just felt like maybe I wasn’t in the right location anymore.  The employees have always been so great but I think my style/merchandise was a bit different from most of the other vendors in the store.  I believed there was somewhere else that I could feel more at home.

How to make a small antique booth space work - Girl in the Garage

Last year, I started the search for a new store and I kept hearing so many people rave about this antique store a little further away from me – Antiques on Main in Crown Point, Indiana.  So last May I got on the wait list, and I’ve been checking back about every other month and they finally had an opening for me!  YEAY!

How to make a small antique booth space work - Girl in the Garage

Yesterday Mr. GITG and I set up the new space, and we used old doors as the backdrop (the four in the photo above plus one more) and I love how it turned out!

The other two narrow doors are on the left behind the secretary, since the walls make an L shape.

How to make a small antique booth space work - Girl in the Garage

It’s pretty small, about 1/4 the size of my old space.  Which isn’t the greatest thing since my furniture tends to take up some serious room, but I’m still on the list to move to a bigger space, so fingers crossed that won’t take too long.   😉

How to make a small antique booth space work - Girl in the Garage

I still have a few pieces in my old booth through March (on discount), and some of these pieces I had just chilling at my house – like this vintage secretary, the duck egg blue dresser I just painted, this mirror, and the chair I reupholstered last summer.  My DIY apothecary jars are also there on the shelves.

How to make a small antique booth space work - Girl in the Garage

I taped some script paper into the window – it’s the same kind that’s behind “in” and “the” in the GITG banner, and the same kind I used in the drawers for the duck egg blue dresser.

I also brought some framed cork boards, which usually sell pretty well.

How to make a small antique booth space work - Girl in the Garage How to make a small antique booth space work - Girl in the Garage

(All of these photos were taken on my cell phone, so I apologize that the quality isn’t that great.)

How to make a small antique booth space work - Girl in the Garage

Since this is a small space I knew I needed a sign that wouldn’t take too much room, so I made a new one.  I printed out the letters and the fancy “box” 2 per page onto cardstock (designed at Canva.com) and then glued a 6x6in. square of scrapbook paper behind them.  Then I punched a hole in each corner, strung them with black ribbon, and tied them to command strip hooks that look like glass knobs.  It was almost too wide for my 7ft. space, haha.

DIY booth banner - Girl in the Garage

Here’s a reminder of the before and after:

How to make a small antique booth space work - Girl in the Garage

I am so, so happy with how it turned out.  Now I’ll have fun keeping it stocked with pretty things!

Antiques on Main is having their spring sale event today and tomorrow, so stop by for a visit if you’re in the area.  🙂

Antiques on Main

Even though my new space is small, vintage market season is starting again soon so I’ll be able to sell my furniture and decor there also.  Speaking of…

I booked my first market for this year.  YEAY again!

Three Little Birds Market

I was a vendor at the very first Three Little Birds Market last May (read about my experience here) and I know the organizers pretty well so I’m looking forward to being there again for their 4th market.

**One last note….  I’m creating some epic info just for you guys who want to learn more about running an antique booth or a vintage market space – be sure to sign up so you’ll be notified when the posts are available.  I’ve been working really hard on it – I promise you will learn so much!    —>   Click here to be notified when I have new content available about selling upcycled furniture and decor for profit.

19 Comments on Brand New Booth + Market News

March 31, 2017 at 3:16 pm (4 months ago)

Thanks so much Paula. I’m pretty proud of that new sign. 🙂 Hope you’ve been doing well. xo

1. Christy@Confessions of Serial Do-it-Yourselfer
    March 31, 2017 at 8:50 am (4 months ago)

Love your backdrop!! I originally was on the hunt for doors to use as my backdrop, but never found any cheap enough. I ended up just using the shutter doors I used in my craft market booth since I can hang things on them pretty easily. You make me want to look for doors again haha. Your space looks great…hoping a bigger one opens up soon! XOXO
    Christy@Confessions of Serial Do-it-Yourselfer recently posted…Booth UpdatesMy Profile

March 31, 2017 at 3:15 pm (4 months ago)

Thanks Christy! I got several of those doors for super cheap thankfully, and the one on the right in my booth is the coolest (cost the most) but you can’t even see it right now with the cork board hanging on it. Lol. Your shutter doors look awesome in your booth! Totally goes with the coastal/beachy theme I think too. 🙂

2. Wanda Fielder
    March 31, 2017 at 11:33 am (4 months ago)

It looks really nice, Jen!

March 31, 2017 at 3:13 pm (4 months ago)

Thanks so much! 🙂

3. Kathy Tyrrell
    March 31, 2017 at 11:43 am (4 months ago)

Your new booth looks great and I hope the larger space opens up soon!
    May I, please, ask what you are using to make your bulletin boards. I have used the ‘square’ tiles of corkboard & then covered with burlap, or simply left as is.

Thank you !

4. Rose L.
    March 31, 2017 at 1:40 pm (4 months ago)

It all looks so great! Love everything and sure it will sell fast as yo have good prices.
    Rose L. recently posted…SPRING IS BEGINNINGMy Profile

5. Bonnie
    March 31, 2017 at 5:13 pm (4 months ago)

Your booth looks great. You have so many pretty items. I wish I could visit but alas, I live in Texas. I hope a larger booth will open up for you soon.

April 2, 2017 at 10:43 pm (4 months ago)

Thank you, Bonnie – I appreciate the well wishes!

6. BECKY
    March 31, 2017 at 6:12 pm (4 months ago)

good luck in your new home, hope you’re so popular there you have to work extra hard to keep it full. ;0

April 2, 2017 at 10:43 pm (4 months ago)

Thanks so much, Becky! I hope so too! 🙂

7. Teri Wilson
    March 31, 2017 at 7:31 pm (4 months ago)

Jen, I’m reaching here, but I love that red and white chair you made! Is there is any chance it is still for sale and do you ship (obviously I am not in Indiana)?

April 2, 2017 at 10:42 pm (4 months ago)

Teri, thank you. That is so sweet and I am flattered, but unfortunately I do not ship my furniture. I have checked into it before and the fee would be hundreds of dollars, so it didn’t seem worth the effort. Hopefully one day there will be better shipping options for people like me who redo furniture. (I assume you’re not anywhere near Indiana then?) 🙂

8. Marie|The Interior Frugalista
    April 2, 2017 at 8:41 am (4 months ago)

Wishing you much success in your new booth. Love your use of old doors for the backdrop. Silly me, I didn’t realize you had a former booth space and assumed you sold your pieces exclusively at markets. Wow, kudos to you for doing both! I can’t wait to read your upcoming post about running an antique booth and vintage market. About to open my first booth, I could certainly use some tips.
    Marie|The Interior Frugalista recently posted…How To Make Easy and Affordable DIY Glass ClochesMy Profile

9. Jess
    April 6, 2017 at 1:09 pm (4 months ago)

Hi! Just came across your blog recently and realized you were from ‘the region’-then funny to see this today as I also JUST started a booth at AOM in a tiny area (Jess and Handyman Andy). Good luck and hopefully the move helps with sales! AOM seems to be the favorite in the area with everyone I know.

April 10, 2017 at 9:25 pm (4 months ago)

That is awesome! Nice to meet you Jess and welcome to AOM too! 🙂