Glam Antique Table Makeover: How to Accentuate Those Curves

So you’ve got this antique, it’s a little banged up, and you’ve been debating whether you should paint or refinish it.

Especially if you got it secondhand, then you definitely shouldn’t feel guilty if you do decide to paint.  The world will not end if you paint an antique (although there are some people who would probably argue with that).  However, you can paint it in a way that respects its design integrity.

What would you do if you had this kind of table and it needed some TLC?  This is one of those special antique tables that you don’t find very often, but when you do, you better treat it right – and accentuate those beautiful curves!

But what’s a good way to do that, while still keeping its integrity?

Antique Table Makeover with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint - Girl in the Garage

This piece was built really well, but unfortunately over time had collected a bunch of dings, scrapes, and scratches.

The original plan was to paint parts of it Pure White and French Linen, and leave some of it the original dark brown.  I tried it out and it just didn’t look right (too many imperfections in the wood finish), so I went with just the two tone painted look instead.

Antique Table Makeover with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint - Girl in the Garage

And here she is, all finished and glammed up…

Antique Table Makeover with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint - Girl in the Garage

I didn’t use any painter’s tape at all – I used smaller brushes around the more detailed areas but I did not want a “perfect” look.  It’s slightly distressed/imperfect and you can see the brown peeking through, which gives more depth and also helps make the curves and spindles pop.  But it still has a very authentic antique style, even though it’s been painted.

Antique Table Makeover with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint - Girl in the Garage

And because I always want to be completely straight with you guys…

I put on a topcoat of General Finishes High Performance, which has been my go-to finisher lately, but I will be on the hunt for something else now (sigh)… I like how easily it brushes on, but there are obvious areas where it yellowed over the white paint, even as soon as the same day that I applied it.  Bummer!

So now I’ll have to touch up the paint and apply a different non-yellowing topcoat – I’ll let you guys know when I find a good one.  If you have a suggestion for one that you love, leave me a comment below and let me know!

Antique Table Makeover with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint - Girl in the Garage

If you like this antique table makeover, please share it with others.  There are sharing buttons at both the top and bottom of this post.

Antique Table Makeover with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint - Girl in the Garage

Woot woot – it’s Themed Furniture Makeover Day!  Below my friends are also sharing their Glitz and Glamour furniture makeovers.

TFMD-2016-logo

Click each photo to see the full tutorial for these projects.  Have a beautiful day, friend!

Please share this post if you’ve been inspired.  xo

17 Comments on Glam Antique Table Makeover: How to Accentuate Those Curves

1. Jenny
    October 20, 2016 at 1:50 pm (3 months ago)

Hi Jen! Rustoleum has a top coat that is UV resistant and comes in a satin finish. I haven’t seen it yellow yet and it dries super fast. Maybe try that?
    Jenny recently posted…October’s Furniture Sale at Renovar!My Profile

2. Allison
    October 20, 2016 at 3:15 pm (3 months ago)

I am dismayed to hear you had trouble with GF’s high performance topcoat. That’s the one I’ve been relying on lately after giving up on Minwax’s Polycrylic. That stuff used to work but I think they’ve changed something and it sure doesn’t anymore. I definitely do not recommend it – it will yellow for sure. Heck – there has to be something out there for us! I wonder if you just had a bad batch or it got tainted somehow?

3. rose l.
    October 20, 2016 at 3:28 pm (3 months ago)

I think I would rather see it all white or all gray. Just do not like the blend as looks so busy to me.
    rose l. recently posted…STILL ENJOYING THE GARDENMy Profile

4. Tami @ Curb Alert!
    October 20, 2016 at 3:57 pm (3 months ago)

Wow! The two toned effect really updated your table by a few decades! Love it!
    ~Tami

5. Julie Shearer
    October 20, 2016 at 5:46 pm (3 months ago)

I absolutely love the makeover!! She is lovely.

6. Christy K James
    October 20, 2016 at 8:19 pm (3 months ago)

Such a beautiful piece, Jen! It’s hard when you come across a furniture piece that you almost don’t want to paint for fear of messing it up, but the colors you chose for this are just perfect. I love how you accented some of the details too! XO

7. Karen
    October 20, 2016 at 8:45 pm (3 months ago)

Lovely job. You gave new life to an old table!

8. Paula@SweetPea
    October 21, 2016 at 9:44 am (3 months ago)

This piece has such lovely lines and the paint combination that you chose really brings them out. It must have taken forever to paint this! I hope you find a great top coat that doesn’t yellow. And when you do, please let me know!
    Paula@SweetPea recently posted…$10 Power Tool Project ChallengeMy Profile

9. Marie from The Interior Frugalista
    October 22, 2016 at 9:51 am (3 months ago)

Oh you are so right that these gorgeous pieces don’t come around too often – sweet find! I had a top coat yellow on me too recently and it sucks. I’ve tried a few different brands but two that I’ve used that did not yellow are Country Chic Paint Tough Coat and Minwax Polycrylic. I hope that helps! Love all those curves accentuated on this piece – pinning to share 🙂
    Marie from The Interior Frugalista recently posted…Set of Round Metal Accent Tables and Exciting AnnouncementsMy Profile

10. Carrie G
    November 17, 2016 at 7:33 am (2 months ago)

Fusion tough coat is also a great option!
    You inspired me to paint a similar parlor table in gray and white, I’m loving the way it is turning out, not quite finished yet, I will try posting a picture when finished.