How to Paint Crisp Stripes: Boys’ Bathroom Makeover

This post brought to you by FrogTape®. The content and opinions expressed below are that of Girl in the Garage.

Five years ago, when we moved into our house, I hung a pretty shower curtain in the extra bathroom by our little boys’ bedrooms (they were only 1 and 2 years old back then) and then decided to stencil the walls… How to paint crisp stripes - Boys' bathroom makeover. Girl in the Garage How to paint crisp stripes - Boys' bathroom makeover. Girl in the Garage

It was my first attempt at stenciling Anything Ever.  (Here’s some advice: If you’ve never stenciled before, practice on a smaller surface, not a bathroom wall that will be seen every single day.  Also – less paint is more.)  As you can see, there were lots of blobs and smudges.  I knew one day I would get around to painting over the damask pattern that mocked me daily.

How to paint crisp stripes - Boys' bathroom makeover. Girl in the Garage

And that “one day” finally happened this week.  The boys are 6 and 7 now, and way overdue for a bathroom that’s more fun and boyish.  I found this shower curtain that I loved, and I decided to paint stripes over the old stencil.

How to paint crisp stripes - Boys' bathroom makeover. Girl in the Garage

You’ve probably seen in my other posts that FrogTape® brand painter’s tape is my go-to tape for any type of painting project.  It’s the only tape treated with patented PaintBlock® technology to keep lines crisp.

How to paint crisp stripes - Boys' bathroom makeover. Girl in the Garage

When painting over a previously stenciled wall, lightly sand the area first and then wipe down with a damp cloth.  Measure your stripes with a yardstick or tape measure and make little pencil marks about every 8-12 inches, then apply your tape where you marked.  It’s easier to keep your tape straight when you apply and smooth out about 12-inch sections, but don’t rip your tape until you reach the end of your area; continuous tape makes for straighter lines.  I chose the Multi-Surface FrogTape® for the first big stripe, since I applied the tape onto the wall, the shower, and the metal towel rack.

How to paint crisp stripes - Boys' bathroom makeover. Girl in the Garage

I painted 4-5 coats of white paint over the stenciled area with a small roller brush.  Obviously, I tend to get a little messy over the tape.  When I pulled the tape away though, my lines were perfect!  (Tip: Always remove the tape while the paint is still a little wet.)  The PaintBlock® technology reacts with the water in latex paint and instantly gels to form a barrier against paint bleed giving you the sharpest paint lines possible.

I let the paint dry overnight and the next day I started taping off my top and bottom stripes…

How to paint crisp stripes - and boys' bathroom makeover. Girl in the Garage

which I painted a deep blue.  This time I used Delicate Surface FrogTape® since I applied it directly over the top and bottom of the newly painted white stripe.

Again, my stripe was crisp and the white paint was undamaged.

How to paint crisp stripes - and boys' bathroom makeover. Girl in the Garage

Boom – a new striped wall, and no stenciled damask in sight!

How to paint crisp stripes - Boys' bathroom makeover. Girl in the Garage

Here is the boys’ bathroom makeover reveal, with new accessories too:

I wouldn’t necessarily call it “nautical” but maybe just “water” themed.

How to paint crisp stripes - Boys' bathroom makeover. Girl in the Garage

How to paint crisp stripes - Boys' bathroom makeover. Girl in the Garage

This little boat is so adorable… I had to use it for extra TP storage.  😉

How to paint crisp stripes - Boys' bathroom makeover. Girl in the Garage

But one of my favorite accessories in the updated bathroom is this shark – how cool is that?

How to paint crisp stripes - Boys' bathroom makeover. Girl in the Garage

What do you think of the boys’ updated bathroom?  Of course they love it, which is what really matters.  But I’m saving the old shower curtain for a future guest bathroom in some future house…

Have you painted stripes on a wall before?  I’ve done it several times and it’s really quite easy, as long as you use FrogTape® painter’s tape to keep your lines sharp and follow the advice I’ve given above.  For more painting ideas, follow FrogTape® painting inspiration on Pinterest.

If you like this post, please share!

How to paint crisp lines - Boys' bathroom makeover by Girl in the Garage

Visit Sponsors Site

15 Comments on How to Paint Crisp Stripes: Boys’ Bathroom Makeover

1. Susan
    August 17, 2016 at 10:12 am (1 year ago)

Absolutely beautiful!!

2. Lucy ~ Patina Paradise
    August 17, 2016 at 10:23 am (1 year ago)

I’m impressed with how crisp the lines turned out and the bathroom looks amazing Jen!

3. Bonnie
    August 17, 2016 at 1:15 pm (1 year ago)

It’s really, really cute. No wonder your boys love it!

August 18, 2016 at 6:21 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks so much, Bonnie! I’m hoping they like it for at least a few years. 😉

4. Karen Marie Kedzuch
    August 17, 2016 at 6:02 pm (1 year ago)

Jen,
    I love Frog Tape too. The different types have changed the way I paint. I tend to be impatience which can cause regret. The boys bathroom stripes created a great update in two days. Awesome!

5. Sharon B.
    August 17, 2016 at 6:23 pm (1 year ago)

But … but … but … how did you get your stripes to come out perfectly straight? I am going to use a different brand of tape ?because it’s what I bought a few months back for a horizontal surface (top of a ginormous thrift store TV stand), and I have hesitated because I need an idiot-proof method to keep me on the straight and narrow, so to speak.

In my toolbox I’ve got a laser level, so that might work; can you snap a chalk line horizontally? Knowing me, I will start out fine, but then a quarter-inch here, an eighth of an inch there, and by the time I’m done striping, I’ll have a hot crooked mess on my hands.

August 18, 2016 at 6:20 pm (1 year ago)

Hi, Sharon! So you’re painting a big TV stand? (Good for you!) If your line will be less than 12 inches from the edge, I would use a regular ruler (I have a see-through one I like). For example, if you want your stripe to be 7 inches from the edge, hold the end of the ruler at the edge and put a little pencil mark on the furniture at the 7-inch line. Keep doing this all the way across at intervals of about 8-10 inches. Then carefully apply your tape so that the edge lines up with the pencil marks (press it down in sections so you can easily lift and reposition part of it if it goes crooked). Once your tape is down, grab your ruler again and measure the distance at various places to make sure it’s 7 inches. If it’s a teeny tiny bit off in one area, then it probably won’t be noticeable, especially since it will the top of the TV stand and may not be completely visible anyway. Then just follow the rest of the directions in my post to make sure the lines are sharp. I hope that helps! Good luck your project!

• Sharon B.
        August 20, 2016 at 2:24 pm (12 months ago)

Thanks for the tips–I will do my best to stay on the straight and narrow!

Ironically, the TV that was going to rest on the stand is now obsolete and basically a 2-ton doorstop. (Can’t even donate it.)

So now, I can use the stand for something else, just what I’m not sure since it has that hexagonal shape that gives its original purpose away.

One other irony is that I had used that not-Frogtape on a different project, and when I pulled it off, well, lets’s just say it didn’t do its job. So, off to buy the Frogtape this afternoon!

August 22, 2016 at 7:02 pm (12 months ago)

Oh bummer! Well hopefully you can find another use for your table. You will love FrogTape – just remember to pull it off when the paint is still a little wet. 🙂

6. Kim
    August 18, 2016 at 8:55 am (1 year ago)

I love the how the stripes frame out the oar – fun way to add some interest in a small room

August 18, 2016 at 6:32 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks, Kim! I love adding stripes to a room to break up the wall space. I did it first for my oldest’s son bedroom when he was a baby and I was hooked. 🙂