DIY Tufted Reupholstered Bench

Today is Themed Furniture Makeover Day again, where my friends and I each share a monthly furniture makeover with the same theme – this time it’s Knockoffs.  I love “Inspired by” or “Knockoff” projects because while it’s easy to fall in love with a beautiful, expensive piece of furniture, it’s not always in the budget, amiright?

I bought this bench last summer during a thrift store’s 50% off sale, so I only paid $10.  Awesome deal, right?  Well it was pretty ugly…

DIY Tufted Reupholstered Bench from Girl in the Garage

I had a lofty goal of transforming it into something like the Simone bench from Ballard Designs (available in a variety of fabrics and finishes):

Ballard Designs Simone bench

My bench couldn’t be much more different than the one from Ballard Designs!

The first step of this DIY reupholstered bench makeover was to remove the old legs, wood frame, and all that awful fabric.

DIY Tufted Reupholstered Bench from Girl in the Garage

Honestly, the staples were a pain to get out.  Removing staples from upholstery is possibly the most tedious job ever.

DIY Tufted Reupholstered Bench from Girl in the Garage

But when all the fabric was off and the buttons were removed, thankfully the padding was in perfect condition.

DIY Tufted Reupholstered Bench from Girl in the Garage

I laid out the old fabric as a pattern to cut the gorgeous new French script fabric.

DIY Tufted Reupholstered Bench from Girl in the Garage

The seat was reupholstered with a “heavy duty” stapler from Hobby Lobby – I’ve used it on a few projects and let’s just say I’m in the market for a heavier duty reupholstery stapler (maybe one with a compressor!).

DIY Tufted Reupholstered Bench from Girl in the Garage

When you’re stapling new fabric, always fold the edge under a bit to keep it from fraying.  Plus it just looks nicer if anyone were to take a peek down there.  I fold and hold with my left hand while my right hand staples.  With this staple gun I did have issues with some of my staples not going in all the way, so I had to hammer them in.

DIY Tufted Reupholstered Bench from Girl in the Garage

I also recovered the fabric buttons, retufted (is that a word?) the bench, and painted the new legs and frame that Mr. GITG built for me.  To keep this post from being way too long though, I’ll share the details of those tutorials in another blog post soon.

Here is my finished pretty bench:

DIY Tufted Reupholstered Bench from Girl in the Garage

Oh my gosh you guys, this fabric is SO gorgeous.  It is textured and has such a luxurious feel and look to it.

DIY Tufted Reupholstered Bench from Girl in the Garage

Here’s a closer look at the fabric and paint (Old Ochre Chalk Paint dry-brushed with Coco):

DIY Tufted Reupholstered Bench from Girl in the Garage

What really gets me here is the Before and After.  Do they really look like the same bench?  That’s the power of paint – and fabric – and a little DIY help from my hubs.

DIY Tufted Reupholstered Bench from Girl in the Garage

This bench will be for sale at the Hunt & Gather vintage market next week!

But wait – it’s Themed Furniture Makeover Day, remember?  Click any of the pics below to see my friends’ budget-friendly knockoff makeovers!

Themed Furniture Makeover Day

17 Comments on DIY Tufted Reupholstered Bench

1. Wendi@H2OBungalow
    August 25, 2016 at 5:00 am (7 months ago)

Wow, what a difference! I would not have guessed you could change a bench so dramatically!LOVE the fabric! I’m not sure I’ll look at another fabric covered bench again without thinking of it’s potential! Good job!
    Wendi@H2OBungalow recently posted…ZGallerie Inspired Silver Tree Trunk TableMy Profile

2. Susie@TheChelseaProject
    August 25, 2016 at 5:13 am (7 months ago)

You do such great upholstery work. Love this to the moon and back. Good luck at your market days. May you have great weather and lots of customers! Susie from The Chelsea Project
    Susie@TheChelseaProject recently posted…10 Minute Side Table MakeoverMy Profile

3. Amy | Canary Street
    August 25, 2016 at 7:38 am (7 months ago)

I never would have guessed it was the same bench! It’s gorgeous now. Love what you did with it!

4. Christy@ Confessions of a Serial Do-it-Yourselfer
    August 25, 2016 at 9:26 am (7 months ago)

Wow…you definitely win the award for the ugliest before…I never would have imagined it would turn out so stunning!! That is my favorite fabric ever…I used to get it from Hancock Fabrics but they went out of business. 🙁 This will surely sell quickly! XO
    Christy@ Confessions of a Serial Do-it-Yourselfer recently posted…Grandma’s Vintage Dresser MakeoverMy Profile

• Girl in the Garage
      August 25, 2016 at 2:17 pm (7 months ago)

Yes, this is exactly the same fabric! I ordered it a long time ago after I saw it on your blog. <3 I heard about them going out of business, but I also thought I heard that Michaels was going to take over their fabric line? Fingers crossed!

5. Paula@SweetPea
    August 25, 2016 at 11:14 am (7 months ago)

Your bench looks wonderful, Jen! I love the fabric that you used and the base that your husband built is perfect. I know that this will sell quickly at your sale.
    Paula@SweetPea recently posted…Orzo Salad with Feta, Olives and PeppersMy Profile

6. Kim @Hunt & Host
    August 25, 2016 at 12:21 pm (7 months ago)

wow! buy some ugly furniture, but this one is a beauty! Nice makeover, I think the new legs and fabric are amazing, great cost savings too!!! sharing!

7. Stacy @ Anastasia Vintage
    August 25, 2016 at 12:58 pm (7 months ago)

What a dramatic difference! This is absolutely gorgeous! May I ask where you purchased the fabric?

8. Cherie
    August 25, 2016 at 1:10 pm (7 months ago)

Beautiful !! Love this bench…………………

9. Tami @ Curb Alert!
    August 25, 2016 at 1:41 pm (7 months ago)

I bet that bench was a keeper back in the 80s, I can imagine it sitting at the end of the bed with matching floral balloon valance curtains. So glad you chose that amazing fabric, it really does give it that Ballard feel for a steal of a deal!
    ~Tami
    Tami @ Curb Alert! recently posted…MacKenzie-Childs Inspired Hand Painted Accent TableMy Profile

10. Maureen
    August 26, 2016 at 4:32 am (7 months ago)

Upholstery is one thing I would love to learn! You did a fantastic job. It looks nothing like the before and just as gorgeous as your inspiration bench!

August 29, 2016 at 5:54 pm (7 months ago)

Thank you, Maureen! I’ve only done a few upholstery projects but I’m getting more comfortable with it. 🙂

11. Wanderer
    August 30, 2016 at 1:15 pm (7 months ago)

That is fabulous. I just found a chair and have some serious plans to reupholster it – or at least steal its legs and use them somewhere else 🙂

August 31, 2016 at 7:13 pm (7 months ago)

Awesome! I’d love to see it when you’re finished.