Coastal Secretary with New White Wax – Themed Furniture Makeover

Hello, friend!  Today is Themed Furniture Makeover Day and our theme this month is Coastal.  You can see all the previous themes and projects HERE, and peeks of all my friends’ makeovers are at the end of this post.

I chose to paint this vintage secretary I got from a yard sale last month.  I think I paid $30 for it:

Before: Vintage secretary makeover + Annie Sloan's new white wax! by Girl in the Garage

It had some reeeeally nice curves.  The first thing I did was remove the dated railing on the second shelf though.  I filled the holes with Minwax Stainable Wood Filler, let it dry, sanded it flat, and it’s like the railing was never there!

Vintage secretary makeover + Annie Sloan's new white wax! by Girl in the Garage

I removed the back of the secretary and the little drawer, and painted those in Duck Egg Blue Chalk Paint by Annie Sloan.  The rest I painted in Old White Chalk Paint.  Then for the fun part… trying the new White Wax from Annie Sloan.  (More about that in a bit.)

Vintage secretary makeover + Annie Sloan's new white wax! by Girl in the Garage

Here’s the final coastal secretary look.  So much lighter and brighter, right?

Vintage secretary makeover + Annie Sloan's new white wax! by Girl in the Garage

You use white wax just like Annie’s clear wax – with a wax brush or lint free cloth, and you can remove excess with clear wax (just as you can remove excess dark wax with clear).  The white wax gives the Duck Egg Blue a more “moody” feel – it sits nicely in the grooves of the backboard here, and I’m sure on a more ornate piece that it could make little details really POP.  It wasn’t overly white, but hints of it came out.  At first I thought it would look kind of like a dry-brushed effect, but this is more subtle and less controlled as far as where you want the white tint to go.  (By the way, this is not a sponsored post – but I’ve been dying to try the new wax and I had to let you guys know about it!)

Vintage secretary makeover + Annie Sloan's new white wax! by Girl in the Garage

I did use the white wax all over this piece, and even though it’s a little brighter than Old White, once it’s rubbed in and buffed you can’t even notice a difference.  I can’t wait to try it over an even darker color.

Duck Egg Blue reminds me of a foggy day by the ocean – it’s such a calming color.

Vintage secretary makeover + Annie Sloan's new white wax! by Girl in the Garage

I painted over the existing hardware and lightly distressed it.  Here’s a peek inside the drawer:

Vintage secretary makeover + Annie Sloan's new white wax! by Girl in the Garage

A few pretties…

Vintage secretary makeover + Annie Sloan's new white wax! by Girl in the Garage

And a fab before/after comparison for you:

Vintage secretary makeover + Annie Sloan's new white wax! by Girl in the Garage

So have you tried the new white wax yet – or the new black wax?  I’d love to know what you think!  And is this vintage secretary makeover a hit or a miss?

Also visit my friends below for more Coastal Furniture Makeover inspiration.

Themed Furniture Makeover Day - Girl in the Garage

20 Comments on Coastal Secretary with New White Wax – Themed Furniture Makeover

1. Jeanie
    June 23, 2016 at 8:29 am (1 year ago)

Wow Jen! What a difference – I love how this turned out. This was the perfect piece to try out that white wax!

2. Christy
    June 23, 2016 at 10:27 am (1 year ago)

This is absolutely gorgeous, Jen!!! What a steal too…have to try that wax! ?

3. Lucy ~ Patina Paradise
    June 23, 2016 at 11:08 am (1 year ago)

I have a weakness for secretary desks and this one is so pretty in the white and aqua! I would love that in my house!

4. Paula@SweetPea
    June 23, 2016 at 11:31 am (1 year ago)

You did such a nice job on this piece!! I love the white combined with the duck egg blue. I have white wax in a different brand and I really like it. The same wax in black does a great job of toning down a too bright paint color.
    Paula@SweetPea recently posted…Storage Cabinet MakeoverMy Profile

5. Mari
    June 23, 2016 at 3:30 pm (1 year ago)

When you use AS dark wax you use clear wax first. Did you use the ckear wax first with this piece or just the white wax? Looks really nice.

June 23, 2016 at 9:55 pm (12 months ago)

Hi Mari, thank you! I did not use clear wax first because the white wax is so light anyway. And you can definitely use dark wax without clear – if you want a really dark look to your piece. The clear would be used to help moderate the balance of darkness and would allow you to remove excess if you’re worried about overdoing it with the dark wax. Hope that helps.

6. Karen Marie Kedzuch
    June 23, 2016 at 3:42 pm (1 year ago)

Jen,
    You certainly sent my mind to the coast of the Caribbean islands on a bright glistening sunshine day.
    Happy Creating,
    Karen Marie

7. shelley
    June 23, 2016 at 7:14 pm (1 year ago)

wow….what a great update

8. Marcie Lovett
    June 28, 2016 at 8:02 am (12 months ago)

Came over from Confessions of a Serial Do it Yourselfer – what an amazing transformation! I would have walked right past the before – the after lures you in with its coastal spirit.

June 30, 2016 at 9:07 pm (12 months ago)

Thanks so much, Marcie! It definitely has a happier vibe to it now. 🙂

9. Kathy Owen
    June 28, 2016 at 11:55 am (12 months ago)

You go girl! Painting bookcases kills me. Love the blue on the back.

10. Yolanda
    August 6, 2016 at 11:08 pm (11 months ago)

Wow! It turned out beautiful! I now am in love with Duck Egg Blue!

August 7, 2016 at 10:15 pm (11 months ago)

Thanks Yolanda! Duck Egg Blue is a gorgeous color! 🙂