My New Vintage Card Catalog

A long time ago I fell in love with card catalogs… they’re not easy to find, and there are a lot of great DIY faux card catalogs out there, but I told myself if I ever found an authentic vintage one I would have to buy it!  (As long as it wasn’t astronomically expensive- let’s be honest here.)

Vintage Card Catalog - Girl in the Garage

This past weekend I stopped by the antique mall where I have my booth to drop off my latest farmhouse chair, and while I was there I took a walk to see what other people were selling (that always gets me in trouble) and lo and behold I saw this beauty.

Okay so it’s not in perfect condition…

Vintage Card Catalog - Girl in the Garage

The drawers are a little discolored and one of the long thingys is missing (anyone know where I can find a replacement?).

Vintage Card Catalog - Girl in the Garage

Maybe it’s true that love is blind, because this card catalog has some issues but I love it anyway!

Vintage Card Catalog - Girl in the Garage

One day I may add some midcentury legs to it and turn it into a table – but the last thing I need right now is another table in my house, so for now I’ll figure out which existing table to set it on top of.

Vintage Card Catalog - Girl in the Garage

What do you think of my semi-splurge?  Do you know how I could fix the finish on the drawers without restaining the entire thing?  (No, I’m not going to paint it.)

Thanks for sharing in my excitement, guys!

9 Comments on My New Vintage Card Catalog

1. lois black
    April 26, 2016 at 2:13 pm (9 months ago)

WOW what a find!!!! Good for you! There are companies that sell drawer hardware I am sure you can find something to make it work.

2. Teresa Carr
    April 26, 2016 at 4:54 pm (9 months ago)

Homer Formby’s furniture refinisher

3. Bonnie Schulte
    April 26, 2016 at 8:31 pm (9 months ago)

I would just do as Sharon above states, maybe use some Murphy’s Oil on the drawers. Even with the missing hardware, it is AWESOME, and I love that you can label each drawer. I have been looking for a card catalog too, so I very much ENVY you. Lucky find…..

4. KymberlyFunFit
    April 26, 2016 at 9:04 pm (9 months ago)

Like you, I have a THAAAANG for card catalogs. Agree – do NOT paint it. Aaaacccckk. I turned a card catalog (slightly bigger than yours) into a storage unit with legs that have wheels on the bottom so I can move the unit around. It holds my ribbons, tape, gift cards, etc
    KymberlyFunFit recently posted…Best Workouts to Burn Fat For Women Over 50My Profile

5. Marie, The Interior Frugalista
    April 26, 2016 at 9:57 pm (9 months ago)

You lucky girl, I’ve been trying to score one of them for months! I’m sure you could find the missing metal piece online somewhere. Check with a vintage blogger like Angie at Knick Of Time or Larissa at Prodigal Pieces, they might know of places to check. Someone beat me to suggesting hemp oil for restoring the wood.

6. Just Justin
    April 27, 2016 at 10:50 am (9 months ago)

I love it.

It looks like they taped the drawers shut for transport? If it took of the sealer and some of the stain, you may have to re-do the whole thing. Was this cut down from a larger card catalog? Is the top a different type of wood? Just curious…

🙂

April 28, 2016 at 9:33 pm (9 months ago)

Good observation! I wondered if the drawers were taped also. And I did suspect this may have been cut from a larger card catalog, or else the top may have been damaged. The top on this one is a thin piece of wood and doesn’t seem like it belongs.

7. Just Justin
    April 27, 2016 at 10:50 am (9 months ago)

*off the sealer, not of the sealer