Metallic Vintage Nightstand – Themed Furniture Makeover Day

Hey guys! Today is Themed Furniture Makeover Day with my blogging friends, and this month’s theme is Neutral.

Themed Furniture Makeover Day

I bought this little 70’s Provincial nightstand and matching desk at an estate sale last year.  It had yellowed so much over the years that it just looked really dirty and gross even after I cleaned it really well.  My initial thought was to brighten it with a crisp coat of white and add pretty paper inside the drawer, but that’s not exactly how it ended up…
(Before) 70s French Provincial nightstand makeover to stunning metallic beauty - by Girl in the Garage

Here are the products I used:
* Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Pure White
* Modern Masters Metallic Paint in Oyster
* Modern Masters MasterClear Topcoat
* Paintbrushes
* Sandpaper (320 grit)

I started by painting it with two coats Pure White like I planned.  I distressed it a little and it looked pretty good, but a little too plain for the style of this nightstand.  I decided to paint over it with this little bottle of Modern Masters metallic paint in Oyster (a beautiful creamy/silver).  You can see the difference in paint colors below where I missed that giant area on the bottom shelf.  (That’s what I get for painting at night in a half-lit room..Ha)

I ended up doing 4 coats of Oyster (and still have lots of paint left in that little bottle), distressing some, and finishing with the MasterClear.  And here she is……

Oh, I am seriously in love!  That metallic finish is exactly what this sweet little nightstand needed.

So glamorous.

You can see the texture and the shine really well in these photos – it’s almost a silver-leaf look.  (Perfectly imperfect)

IMG_6377-metallic-nightstand-makeover-close

And I finally got to show off some of my favorite turquoise vintage glass collection.  <3

70s French Provincial nightstand makeover to metallic beauty - by Girl in the Garage 70s French Provincial nightstand makeover to metallic beauty - by Girl in the Garage 70s French Provincial nightstand makeover to metallic beauty - by Girl in the Garage

What are your thoughts on this nightstand makeover?  I’d love to know!  Personally I think it’s about a million times better than that dated yellow look.  Anything would’ve been an improvement!

Oh… and the paper inside the drawer didn’t end up working out.  Let’s just leave it as a “project fail.”  😉

Now it’s time to visit my friends’ Neutral makeovers below by clicking any of the photos:

20 Comments on Metallic Vintage Nightstand – Themed Furniture Makeover Day

1. Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces
    April 21, 2016 at 6:11 am (1 year ago)

Ooh…love the metallic finish, Jen! I have an Art Deco nightstand I’ll be using Modern Masters on too. Great minds think alike! Pinning for sure…

2. Lindsay Eidahl
    April 21, 2016 at 6:58 am (1 year ago)

I am loving all the metallic paints I am seeing! They are so pretty! This table looks fabulous now! High end table from a major store! Great makeover!
    Lindsay Eidahl recently posted…DIY Furniture: Painted Round TableMy Profile

3. Kimm at Reinvented & Roadkill Rescue
    April 21, 2016 at 7:20 am (1 year ago)

Wow wow wow! That finish is just gorgeous, Jen! And you’re photo styling is “so on point”, as my teenager daughter would say. 😉 LOVE!

4. Karin Chudy (ART IS BEAUTY)
    April 21, 2016 at 7:45 am (1 year ago)

Jen, I just love this! The pop of metallic just made the whole piece. Oh and that glassware! GORGEOUS!!!
    Hugs,
    Karin

5. Lucy ~ Patina Paradise
    April 21, 2016 at 9:42 am (1 year ago)

Your piece is a precious pearl now! I can’t wait to give some metallic furniture paint a try!

6. Denise Hardy
    April 21, 2016 at 5:48 pm (1 year ago)

This is beautiful and love the metallic finish. I also love your blue glassware and the wallpaper behind the nightstand 🙂

7. Breanna
    April 21, 2016 at 7:49 pm (1 year ago)

That metallic finish is so beautiful! And so are your photos! 🙂

8. Janie
    April 21, 2016 at 8:02 pm (1 year ago)

Jen, I love the night stand. But…… WHAT IS THAT BEHIND THE NIGHT STAND?!!!!!! it’s beautiful and looks great with the furniture and your glassware.

April 26, 2016 at 9:21 am (1 year ago)

Thank you, Janie! That’s actually a fabric shower curtain I bought a long time ago. 🙂

9. Stacy @ Anastasia Vintage
    April 22, 2016 at 7:04 am (1 year ago)

I have yet to try Modern Masters products, but you might have just convinced me to give them a shot! I LOVE how you staged it with your vintage glass. I would have never thought to pair them with the nightstand, but the combo is striking!

10. Dixie Lee
    April 23, 2016 at 5:31 am (1 year ago)

I’ve been thinking of doing a silver over red finish on a bathroom vanity (the tile floor is red….well, cranberry) and this makes me think that I should give it a try!
    Dixie Lee recently posted…Happy SpringMy Profile

11. MaryBeth
    April 23, 2016 at 6:22 am (1 year ago)

Love it! Love your glass collection too!

12. Barbara
    July 9, 2016 at 2:32 pm (1 year ago)

That nightstand is just lovely, might try to do something similar if I can get some metallic paint.