Doing Your First Vintage Market or Craft Fair? {Vendor Tips & Resources}

Hey guys!  I have some exciting (and kind of frightening) news to share – I’m going to be a vendor at my first vintage market next month!  I’ve rented a booth space in an antique mall for a few years now but an outdoor handmade vintage market is definitely going to be different in many ways.  (Update: Visit the end of this post for a link to read all about my experience at the market!)

Doing Your First Vintage Market or Craft Fair? {Vendor Tips & Resources}

I’ve been gathering ideas for what to make/sell, how to brand myself, how to price my items, how to set up a noticeable display, etc.  I’m sharing some of my favorites here but I’d love for you to visit my Pinterest board HERE for even more photos and inspiration.

First up is this really insightful post written by Shades of Blue Interiors:

Shades of Blue Interiors

There’s also a ton of great advice in this post by House of DIY:

House of DIY

You’ll want to read this Craft Show Mini-Series: What to Bring – by Create Studio (also check out the rest of her series, including this post Branding Like a Pro, For Cheap)

Create Studio - Craft Show Advice

10 Unique Craft Fair Tips and Tricks by This Lovely Life:

This Lovely Life

Click here for my bonus printable Cheat Sheet:  The best types of furniture to buy to flip and make a profit (and which kinds to avoid!)

Tips on Styling a Retail Space by Miss Mustard Seed:

Miss Mustard Seed

I really love this craft show display idea, photographed by Oh, Hello Friend Blog:

Vintage Market or Craft Fair Display Idea

I love how this vendor used embroidery hoops to spell out her business name (photo by Urban Farmgirl at the Country Living Fair):

Vintage Market or Craft Fair Display Idea (Urban Farmgirl)

Another neat display idea (photo by Susan Fitzgerald, Rose St. Market Stall):

Vintage Market or Craft Fair Display Idea

Boutique and Antique Shop Display Ideas by Sonoma Fog:

Vintage Market or Craft Fair Display Ideas (Sonoma Fog)

Display Ideas – photos by Made on the Left (Woodland Wonderland Market):

Vintage Market or Craft Fair Display Ideas (Made on the Left)

Joyfully Yours, Susannah shares her very helpful craft show booth space floor planner:

Joyfully Yours, Susannah - Booth Space Floor Plan

Some of my personal favorite tips:

*Use height to fill your display space (furniture, crates, balloons, etc.)
*Keep your space filled, even overflowing (bring way more items than you think you’ll need)
*Rearrange your goods often to keep it looking full and fresh
*Business cards in a pretty bowl or plate (Brand yourself with matching stickers, signs, etc.)
*Free candy or really inexpensive item to draw people in
*Use chalkboards for signs
*Bring a friend to help
*Get a Square Card Reader to accept credit card payments on your phone (with wifi)
*Let people know that you do custom orders or have an Etsy shop (if you do)
*Of course – smile and be friendly!

And here’s even more awesome ideas and advice (click each link below to read the full article):

15 Craft Shows Tips & Tricks to sell more, stress less and have more fun – Olive Bites Blog

Craft Fair Ideas: How to Wow Your Audience When Selling at Craft Shows – IndieMade

A Closer Look at the Earnings of a Booth Vendor – Vintage Show Off

Thinking About Renting a Booth to Sell Your Goods? – Girl in the Garage (my post!)

And lastly, you might get some display ideas HERE from my photos when I visited the Portobello Road Market in Notting Hill a couple years ago.

Be sure to follow my Vintage Market and Craft Fair Ideas Pinterest board (HERE) for more helpful information to make your special day a success!

I’ll be sharing more info about the vintage market I’m participating in soon.  If you have any advice to add to this post, I would love for you to leave it in the comments below!

Click here to be notified when I have new content available about selling upcycled furniture and decor for profit.

Update:  Read all about my experience as a first-time vintage market vendor HERE!

Everything I learned while selling at my first vintage market! Girl in the Garage

14 Comments on Doing Your First Vintage Market or Craft Fair? {Vendor Tips & Resources}

April 19, 2016 at 10:55 pm (11 months ago)

Thanks, Lindsay! Good luck to you too. 🙂

1. Marie, The Interior Frugalista
    April 19, 2016 at 6:21 pm (11 months ago)

This couldn’t have come at a better time, Jen. I’m doing my first in May so I’ll be reading every one of the posts you recommended. Thanks a bunch for sharing this!

April 19, 2016 at 10:55 pm (11 months ago)

That is awesome, Marie – good luck to you! These articles have so much great advice and I’m trying to soak it all in. Now I have to get busy making more stuff to sell! 🙂

2. Christy@ Confessions of a Serial Do-it-Yourselfer
    April 19, 2016 at 7:35 pm (11 months ago)

How exciting! They are a lot of work to get ready for, but it’s nice to see all that cash in hand after only one weekend of selling verses the trickle of $ you get from selling in a booth. Good luck you’ll do great! XO
    Christy@ Confessions of a Serial Do-it-Yourselfer recently posted…Coastal Tray MakeoverMy Profile

April 19, 2016 at 10:56 pm (11 months ago)

Thanks, Christy! I’m going to have a busy month ahead of me preparing for it – fingers crossed! 🙂

April 20, 2016 at 10:13 pm (11 months ago)

That’s awesome, Paula! Good luck to you! 🙂

3. Just Justin
    May 12, 2016 at 12:02 pm (11 months ago)

I hope you have a very successful show!!! 🙂

4. Melanie
    May 21, 2016 at 7:18 pm (10 months ago)

I hope it goes well Jen!! I run a regular spot at an antique mall, but did my first vintage market last May. It was a great success, but so exhausting! So much more work than just keeping up my booth 🙂 It was a great chance though to meet my customers (and some blog readers!) face to face and make some new, great contacts. Please let us know how it goes!!

May 23, 2016 at 6:31 pm (10 months ago)

Thanks Melanie! It was a lot of fun and I learned so much! I’ll share a full recap of my experience soon. 🙂

5. julie
    May 25, 2016 at 8:54 pm (10 months ago)

This is an awesome round up of info! I will be excited to hear about your experience… i have actually been thinking about doing a booth rental, but I just dont know if I could keep up with enough merchandise ( I work a 40 hr/wk job too) I’m going to go read your post about that next! I hope your booth was a success, I love all of the projects you’ve been sharing in preparation…. can you share which fair you did? I live in your area, and was going to ask so I could come and shop, but I see its already come and gone now. I would love to go see your regular booth space too!!

6. Julie Buhnerkempe
    July 6, 2016 at 9:01 pm (9 months ago)

THANK YOU! This is a great compilation of information. We are doing our first market in September and are so excited and nervous! I will be referring back to this post often! Thank you again!!!