French Patisserie Table – Themed Furniture Makeover Day

It’s Themed Furniture Makeover Day again, and this month’s theme is Chocolate!  How’s that for a fun and creative theme?  I definitely had to do some thinking this time…

DIY Furniture Girls - Themed Furniture Makeover Day

I had a few ideas but finally decided on this antique table after visiting my storage unit a couple weeks ago.

French Patisserie Table - Antique table makeover by Girl in the Garage

Since I didn’t want to take any chances with bleed-through, first I primed it and then painted it in Old White Chalk Paint by Annie Sloan.

I found a French graphic online and wanted to make the top look like a vintage pastry shop sign.  I used my FrogTape Shape Tape and painted a scalloped edge around the table.

French Patisserie Table - Antique table makeover by Girl in the Garage

Then I laid the table on my dining table and traced the image from an overhead projector.

French Patisserie Table - Antique table makeover by Girl in the Garage

After penciling, I started painting with a tiny brush.  I’m not gonna lie, it was tedious!  I’ve used a Sharpie on similar projects before but I wanted to distress this piece, so I used regular black paint.

French Patisserie Table - Antique table makeover by Girl in the Garage

It took a while, but it was worth it!  In the end I did distress it all over and then applied clear wax to protect it.

French Patisserie Table - Antique table makeover by Girl in the Garage French Patisserie Table - Antique table makeover by Girl in the Garage French Patisserie Table - Antique table makeover by Girl in the Garage

I found the perfect art to use – “All You Need is Love and Chocolate” – by Dawn Nicole Designs (get the free printable HERE) and added some lovely paper behind it.  And of course included some chocolate cookies in a vintage dish.

French Patisserie Table - Antique table makeover by Girl in the Garage

Here’s a closeup of the distressing:

French Patisserie Table - Antique table makeover by Girl in the Garage

And a before/after collage:

French Patisserie Table - Antique table makeover by Girl in the Garage

What do you think of my French patisserie table makeover?  At first I kind of messed up the cake a little (even though I traced it… Ha) but after sanding over it some, it doesn’t look so weird anymore.  🙂

Be sure to click the photos below and visit my friends to see their interpretations of the Chocolate theme!

26 Comments on French Patisserie Table – Themed Furniture Makeover Day

1. Amy @ Highstyle Restyle
    February 25, 2016 at 9:00 am (1 year ago)

I would recognize your style anywhere! The French-inspired makeover is truly magnifique! XOXO

2. Marie, The Interior Frugalista
    February 25, 2016 at 9:50 am (1 year ago)

Gorgeous Parisian makeover Jenn! I’ve yet to try the projector method for transferring images yet I bought one for the shop and it’s collecting dust. You have inspired me to give it a try sometime soon. Pinning your pretty table to share ☺
    Marie, The Interior Frugalista recently posted…How Chocolate Can Inspire A Tea Table MakeoverMy Profile

3. Linda
    February 25, 2016 at 12:21 pm (1 year ago)

This is something I would love to have in my bedroom.

February 27, 2016 at 8:49 pm (1 year ago)

Linda, your compliment means so much to me! Thank you!

4. Jolinda
    February 25, 2016 at 1:12 pm (1 year ago)

love it and thanks for sharing the Frog tape scallops. I have never see that before.

5. Joan
    February 25, 2016 at 1:33 pm (1 year ago)

I love your little table

6. Karen Marie Kedzuch
    February 25, 2016 at 2:23 pm (1 year ago)

Jen,
    Your attention to detail is amazing. I love the staging and the scalloped edge is the perfect touch too.
    Happy Creating,
    Karen Marie

7. Stacy {Anastasia Vintage}
    February 25, 2016 at 8:24 pm (1 year ago)

Such a great idea to add the scalloped edge! I love the way you kept the colors simple and let the details really shine 🙂

February 27, 2016 at 8:49 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks so much, Stacy!

8. Paula@SweetPea
    February 26, 2016 at 7:25 am (1 year ago)

Gorgeous makeover, Jen! I love how you used the Frogtape to make the scalloped edge and that graphic is perfect for our theme. It must have taken forever to paint it but was well worth your effort in the end. My mom gave me a set of little compotes like yours that she says my grandmother got from oatmeal. Isn’t it fun that a useful piece of glassware used to be included in a box of oatmeal? This theme is such a good one and I’m loving this month’s projects.

9. karin
    February 27, 2016 at 6:57 am (1 year ago)

Such a BEAUTIFUL piece and I am giddy with how you did that scalloped edge. I never even thought to use the tape in reverse like that.. BRILLIANT! Gorgeous work as always!
    Hugs,
    Karin

February 27, 2016 at 8:45 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you so much, Karin! I love the scalloped edge too, I’ll have to do it on a future project. 🙂

10. Wanda
    February 28, 2016 at 9:28 am (1 year ago)

So cute, Jen!

February 28, 2016 at 2:24 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you so much! 😉

11. Mindi
    March 4, 2016 at 12:08 pm (1 year ago)

Jen this is just beautiful!! I seriously love it! Amazing job! You were my pick for rock start at our Creativity Unleashed party this week! Please come by and vote for your project and invite you friends to vote!

12. Kim @ Hunt & Host
    March 7, 2016 at 12:45 pm (1 year ago)

That was some serious hard work…it paid off. I love the table! Those scallops are great, how have I missed this tape!!?? Such a beautiful piece!
    Kim @ Hunt & Host recently posted…DIY Moss LettersMy Profile

March 11, 2016 at 9:32 pm (1 year ago)

Aww, thank you so much for the sweet compliment Terry! I hope you have a wonderful weekend also! 🙂