Decoupage Bookcase – Themed Furniture Makeover

It’s time again for Themed Furniture Makeover Day, where about 20 of us bloggers each share a new furniture makeover with a different theme every month.  This month’s theme is Animals – there are a lot of unique possibilities with this one.  At the end of this post you can see all my friends’ makeovers with links to their blogs.

Themed Furniture Makeover Day

I started with this plain brown bookcase from a yard sale:

Decoupage Bookcase: How to update a boring bookcase with paint, pretty paper, and Mod Podge. girlinthegarage.net

First, I painted it in Graphite Chalk Paint from Annie Sloan and then added dark wax for protection.

I didn’t bother painting the back panels since I planned to decoupage them with pretty scrapbook paper from Hobby Lobby.

I grabbed my trusty matte Mod Podge and foam brush…

then measured and cut my paper with my handy dandy paper cutter (an awesome and pretty inexpensive tool) and glued the sheets in place.

And TA-DA…

French Decoupage Bookcase Makeover with Mod Podge - Girl in the Garage

You may be wondering “where are the animals in your themed makeover?

I’m so glad you asked.  There are several right here in the toile paper I used:

It has kind of a French look to it, don’t you think?

(HERE is the tutorial on how I transformed that beautiful chair next to the bookcase.)

And here’s your before/after comparison:

You know I love a good decoupage makeover!  HERE is a desk I did last year that’s similar to this bookcase:

French Decoupage Desk Makeover - girlinthegarage.net

And HERE are 16 more decoupage projects for your inspiration:

16 Creative Ways to Decoupage Furniture

I’d love to know what you think of my decoupage bookcase!

Click here for my free printable resource list: 11 Items to Always Buy While Thrifting

Next up, please visit my friends’ themed makeovers below:

21 Comments on Decoupage Bookcase – Themed Furniture Makeover

1. Lindsay Eidahl
    August 20, 2015 at 7:38 am (1 year ago)

I am loving all of these projects. I am so happy you asked me to join. Your bookcase is beautiful!!!

2. Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces
    August 20, 2015 at 1:15 pm (1 year ago)

Love those vintage style papers and the dark color you chose, Jen! From boring to BAM!

3. Susan
    August 20, 2015 at 1:19 pm (1 year ago)

You made the old bookcase look new. I would’ve just donated the bookcase to goodwill. It looks FANTASTIC!! Great job!

4. Candy Walsh
    August 20, 2015 at 1:48 pm (1 year ago)

Awesome job!! I have a black bookcase that looks to be almost the same size but it’s not real wood, it’s pressboard or whatever you call it. Is yours solid wood? I’m just wondering because mine need to be repainting and I would love to do the same thing to it that you did. Do you have any ideas on the best way for me to go about painting this?
    Thanks so much~and again, great job!

September 6, 2015 at 7:21 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you Candy! (And sorry for the delayed reply!) This bookcase isn’t real wood either – it might be the same one you have. 🙂 The Chalk Paint adhered really well to mine, I did need to do a couple coats though. If you’re wanting to paint it a much lighter color then you might need more coats. Hope that helps – good luck! Jen

5. Jeanette
    August 20, 2015 at 3:29 pm (1 year ago)

What a great idea to use the black and white papers to make a boring bookcase to classic! Fun tour!

6. Denise Hardy
    August 20, 2015 at 4:32 pm (1 year ago)

I love what you’ve done with the bookcase and the desk – I love decoupaged furniture full stop 🙂 The toile paper is gorgeous – it depicts so many things – I used to have a bedroom with toile fabrics and everyone who saw it loved it – this, also is one of my favourite patterns and defo – a very pretty French Style 🙂

7. Wendi @ H2OBungalow
    August 20, 2015 at 7:00 pm (1 year ago)

I love your bookcase and especially the paper you used! I’m a huge fan of toile.. I just haven’t figued out how to make it work in my house:)

8. Shelley
    August 20, 2015 at 7:16 pm (1 year ago)

very nice looking…

9. Amy Rattleff
    August 20, 2015 at 7:23 pm (1 year ago)

Beautiful makeover! You are clearly the Queen of Decoupage! This would easily fit in so many styles and spaces. 🙂

10. Karin Chudy (ART IS BEAUTY)
    August 20, 2015 at 7:38 pm (1 year ago)

I have got to try decoupaging yet on a piece! You make it look so easy! I love how dramatic the change was just by adding that paper!
    Beautiful work!
    Hugs,
    Karin

11. Paula@SweetPea
    August 20, 2015 at 7:40 pm (1 year ago)

I’ll always love toile! Paint and patterned paper makes this bookcase look classy.

12. Patina Paradise
    August 20, 2015 at 8:12 pm (1 year ago)

I was actually thinking of using toile for my project cause I think it is so timeless and classy. Definitely doing decoupage next time. Great job.

13. Robyn
    August 20, 2015 at 10:50 pm (1 year ago)

So pretty, I Love toile! You really do such beautiful makeovers.

14. Marie@The Interior Frugalista
    August 20, 2015 at 11:56 pm (1 year ago)

Ha ha ha Jen, I did wonder where the animal was until seeing the close-up of that pretty toile paper. You inspired me on how I’m going to refinish a bookcase sitting in the bowels of my storage shed.

15. Kim
    August 21, 2015 at 12:50 pm (1 year ago)

I love the bookcase! I happen to have a “before” bookcase so this gives me inspiration. Where did you get the paper? Does anyone have a good resource for this type of paper?

16. Rachel
    August 23, 2015 at 1:58 pm (1 year ago)

You are the best ever at decoupage-ing furniture! Such an fun and classic update!

17. Breanna
    August 24, 2015 at 6:10 pm (1 year ago)

This turned out so pretty Jen! Love the subtly of the animals; that paper is beautiful!