Dirty Distressed Desk in French Linen – Themed Makeover Day

It’s Themed Furniture Makeover Day!

{I am so ready to get back to my typical blogging routine, and this is the perfect day to get back on the path.  The last couple weeks have been interesting for my blog, to say the least.  I spent a ton of time getting the new blog look ready all by myself, and then I had one small problem which I asked a web designer to fix for me.  She ended up making my blog all jumbled and then never returned my emails… SO frustrating.  Then I had to find someone else whom I felt I could trust and he did a fantastic job fixing everything – now I’m happy to be sharing this desk today!}

March’s theme is Distressed.  (See all the past themes HERE.)

And this little desk was already in a lot of distress.

Seriously… have you seen a much sadder piece?

Luckily it was solid and stable.

I pulled out my hand sander for the first time in ages and went over this thing about a dozen times at least.  Thankfully the weather was amazing that day!

I chose Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in French Linen and gave it a couple coats.

That contact paper had to go – but it put up a strong fight!  I tried scraping it out but it came off in tiny pieces.  Lucky for me, later that night I stumbled upon a suggestion to use a hair dryer – I tried it the next day and it worked perfectly!  And no messy chemicals or anything.  So now you know how to remove pesky contact paper if you ever have to deal with it.  🙂

Finally I sanded and distressed with 320 sandpaper to give it a smooth finish and then protected it with both clear and dark wax – the dark wax is what gives it the “dirty” look.  (Dark wax tutorial HERE.)

I was definitely going for a rustic, kind of industrial vibe.

How to achieve the "dirty" distressed look - a desk makeover for Themed Furniture Makeover Day.  girlinthegarage.net How to achieve the "dirty" distressed look - a desk makeover for Themed Furniture Makeover Day.  girlinthegarage.net

What do you think of my distressed desk?  It’s not the typical makeover that I tend to do.

If the dirty look isn’t your thing, tomorrow I’m sharing a very clean feminine-style table makeover.  🙂

You can find all of my tips for using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and wax, and also lots of awesome projects, HERE.

Now, please go visit all of my friends’ projects below!

15 Comments on Dirty Distressed Desk in French Linen – Themed Makeover Day

1. Tami @ Curb Alert!
    March 19, 2015 at 9:52 am (2 years ago)

Wow Jen! That poor little table was S A D! Definitely needed the right touch! I’m trying to convince my son to paint his furniture with this look, I’ll have to show him this too! Great job.
    ~Tami
    Tami @ Curb Alert! recently posted…Little Girl’s Vanity and Chair MakeoverMy Profile

2. Shanna Gilbert
    March 19, 2015 at 12:42 pm (2 years ago)

It turned out great Jen! The dark wax gave it the perfect “dirty” look! I have fought contact paper like that before. Sometimes it seems impossible to get off!
    Shanna Gilbert recently posted…Ivory and Blue Painted China HutchMy Profile

3. Paula@SweetPea
    March 19, 2015 at 12:49 pm (2 years ago)

The end result is great! I like the distressed and dirty look of this piece. I had to laugh when I saw that contact paper because it is the same paper that my mom used when I was a kid except hers had yellow flowers. I’m glad to know that contact paper is the key to removing it. I’m sure I’ll run across that problem one of these days.
    Paula@SweetPea recently posted…Table Makeover with Typography (Themed Furniture Makeover Day)My Profile

4. Wendi @ H2OBungalow
    March 19, 2015 at 1:29 pm (2 years ago)

Love the makeover and it does remind me of desks I’ve seen in a vintage schoolhouse. You had a lot of work to bring it back & I don’t envy you on removing the contact paper !
    Wendi @ H2OBungalow recently posted…White and Gold Distressed Damask DresserMy Profile

5. Jeanette
    March 19, 2015 at 6:15 pm (2 years ago)

This is so cool! It looks like metal. I haven’t heard about using a blow dryer to remove tacky paper, but will remember the next time I’m stuck!!! 🙂 Jeanette
    Jeanette recently posted…Distressed Metal Folding TableMy Profile

March 19, 2015 at 10:12 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Christy! This was my first time using French Linen – I love it!

6. Melody
    March 20, 2015 at 12:26 pm (2 years ago)

This is so cute!! I’m a sucker for desks (and microscopes!). I like the color you chose and how you went about distressing the piece. Lovely! FL is one of my all-time fav Chalk Paint™ colors!

7. Breanna
    March 20, 2015 at 7:59 pm (2 years ago)

This little guy is so cute!! It doesn’t even look like the same piece anymore 🙂 P.S. your site is pushed over to the right again on my screen :-\
    Breanna recently posted…Friday’s Fab Freebie :: Week 44My Profile

8. Therese @ Fresh Idea Studio
    March 22, 2015 at 8:46 am (2 years ago)

The industrial vibe you created on that cool little table is spot on, Jen! It really makes it! And I’ll have to remember the hair dryer trick. I use one to speed up drying sometimes but never thought to use it during prep. mental note

P.S. Awesome job your new blog design! You rocked it!
    Therese @ Fresh Idea Studio recently posted…Best of DIY creative Garden Container ideaMy Profile

March 22, 2015 at 10:37 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks so much Therese! 🙂

9. Nancy @ Artsy Chicks Rule
    March 22, 2015 at 2:05 pm (2 years ago)

Awesome job Jen!! The dark wax was the perfect touch for this little desk! 🙂