French Grain Sack Table – Themed Furniture Makeover Day

French Grain Sack Table Makeover with Chalk Paint - girlinthegarage.net

It’s been two months since the last Themed Furniture Makeover Day and I really missed it!

It’s so much fun having a new theme each month and I’m blessed to be among of this talented group of furniture whisperers.

This month’s theme is “Inspired By” – we had to find a fabulous furniture piece out there (from a store, another blogger, magazine, website, etc.) and try to recreate the look in our own way.

My inspiration is these French Grain Sack nesting tables from Fay Grayson Home.  I pinned this project and shared it on Facebook ages ago, and really wanted to try my own grain sack table makeover.  (And it has French graphics on it – hello?!  That is SO my thing.)

Fay Grayson Home: French Grain Sack Nesting Tables

I didn’t have a set of nesting tables, but I did have this diamond-in-the-rough table with nice details:

French Grain Sack Table Makeover with Chalk Paint - girlinthegarage.net

I had to remove some glue residue and fill in a couple holes on top.

French Grain Sack Table Makeover with Chalk Paint - girlinthegarage.net

After it was all patched up, I painted it in Country Grey Chalk Paint by Annie Sloan and lightly sanded.

French Grain Sack Table Makeover with Chalk Paint - girlinthegarage.net

I measured and then laid out the stripes with FrogTape for delicate surfaces (my favorite).

I was out of gray paint so I made a quick trip to Lowe’s to buy a sample of Valspar… and let me tell you, this color looks completely different now than it did in the store.  It’s more of a blue/silver/lavender, but it works.

French Grain Sack Table Makeover with Chalk Paint - girlinthegarage.net

I lightly sanded again and then stenciled one of my amazing new Paris Deco Art stencils (affiliate link) in black paint.

French Grain Sack Table Makeover with Chalk Paint - girlinthegarage.net

A little more distressing and Annie Sloan clear wax and it was done.

French Grain Sack Table Makeover with Chalk Paint - girlinthegarage.net

French Grain Sack Table Makeover with Chalk Paint - girlinthegarage.net French Grain Sack Table Makeover with Chalk Paint - girlinthegarage.net

This print is one of my favorite images from my favorite photographer… Robert Doisneau.

He was a French photographer in Paris in the 40’s and 50’s and most of his photos are in black and white.  You can find books and calendars filled with his work, and I’ve been obsessed for a very long time.  😉

Now it’s time to visit my lovely friends and see where they got their inspiration for their projects!

24 Comments on French Grain Sack Table – Themed Furniture Makeover Day

1. Angie @ Postcards from the Ridge
    January 22, 2015 at 5:55 am (2 years ago)

Your table looks just as good as your inspiration pieces. I haven’t seen stencils like that before and will have to try one of those. And I love the photograph. There’s just something about black and white photography that just makes photos look so artsy. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Angie @ Postcards from the Ridge recently posted…Refinished and Refreshed Drop Leaf Table – “Inspired By” Themed Furniture MakeoverMy Profile

2. Therese @ Fresh Idea Studio
    January 22, 2015 at 6:20 am (2 years ago)

Ooh lala! I love your frenchy masterpiece Jen. You nailed it. And I love how you styled it too. Beautiful! I laughed out loud with “furniture whisperers”!. What a great way to start the day. Thanks lady! Have a good one.
    Therese @ Fresh Idea Studio recently posted…Bright and Happy Yellow PianoMy Profile

3. Karin Chudy (ART IS BEAUTY)
    January 22, 2015 at 8:28 am (2 years ago)

Its absolutely FRENCH TASTIC Oh I love the light subtle grain sack stripes against the graphic.
    So delicate yet so fun!
    I love it!
    Hugs,
    Karin

4. Melody
    January 22, 2015 at 9:19 am (2 years ago)

Love this!! Great work Jen!

5. Rita
    January 22, 2015 at 1:49 pm (2 years ago)

I absolutely love it!! You always do such a great job! I have recently refinished an old French provincial side table but I’d love to do a graphic on top. Where can I buy this type of stencil? Do you think that Home Depot or Michaels might sell it? Please let me know. Thanks so much for the inspiration.

• Robyn
      January 22, 2015 at 2:58 pm (2 years ago)

blitsy.com occasionally sells these stencils at a great price. Also createforless.com and consumercrafts.com sells them. A bit cheaper than Home Depot.

• Jen, Girl in the Garage
      January 22, 2015 at 3:57 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you Rita! There’s a link above where you can buy the stencil online – or you should be able to find it at Michaels. There are some other cute French stencils too – I may have bought several, 😉 (Some from Michaels and some online because there are more to choose from on Amazon)
      Jen, Girl in the Garage recently posted…French Grain Sack Table – Themed Furniture Makeover DayMy Profile

6. Robyn
    January 22, 2015 at 2:56 pm (2 years ago)

Love it!!

7. Rose L.
    January 22, 2015 at 3:31 pm (2 years ago)

Such a lovely idea and since my last name is French, it spoke to me.
    Rose L. recently posted…EXPLANATIONMy Profile

8. Donna G
    January 23, 2015 at 7:34 am (2 years ago)

Far out, that is totally amazing. Wow

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on French Grain Sack Table – Themed Furniture Makeover Day

1. […] French Grain Sack Table – Girl in the Garage […]