15+ Ways to Be More Energy Efficient at Home

15+ Tips for being more energy efficient at home.  Saving money + helping the environment, what could be better?  girlinthegarage.net

I’m always looking for ways to save some money, and it’s even better if I can help the environment at the same time.

Being energy efficient is something everyone can do, and there’s so much more to it besides remembering to turn off the lights when you leave a room.  With these tips you’ll see just how easy it can be!

1.  Since we’re heading into winter, here are a few cold weather tips from PG&E (read more HERE):

• When leaving your house for long periods of time, turn the thermostat down.  You can save significantly each year on your heating bill.  Also consider keeping your thermostat a couple degrees cooler when you’re home and dress in layers.
  • Caulk gaps and cracks around old doors and windows, or replace them if needed.

2.  Here are more energy savings ideas from PG&E (read 100+ more HERE):

• Upgrade to a programmable thermostat.
  • Replace inefficient light bulbs.
  • Wash clothes in cold water.

3.  Take shorter showers, or take baths instead.

4.  Buy Energy Star appliances.

5.  Turn your refrigerator’s temperature up a couple degrees.

6.  Install a ceiling fan.

7.  Keep blinds and curtains closed in the summer to keep the house cool.

8.  Install dimmer switches.

9.  Turn off/unplug electronics and small appliances at night.  (This is easier if you use a power strip and you can turn the switch off for all of them at once.)

10.  Change your furnace filter regularly.  (Typically every 1-3 months)

11.  Install motion-dectotor lights outside.

12.  If you have a second refrigerator or freezer that you’re not using, recycle it.  You may even make some extra money by doing so.

13.  Fix leaky faucets.

14.  Unplug phones, laptops, etc. when the battery is fully charged.

15.  Get a home energy audit.  Check with your local power company – some will come out and evaluate your home for free.

You can win one of seven $100 Home Depot gift cards!
PG&E is having an Instagram photo challenge Nov. 17-23, 2014 –
use hashtag #PGEhome

Visit their Instagram page HERE for more info.

Do you have any advice to add?  I’d love to hear it!

I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.

19 Comments on 15+ Ways to Be More Energy Efficient at Home

November 24, 2014 at 11:19 am (2 years ago)

Paula, that is the hardest for me too… I love my long showers!

1. Lisa
    November 21, 2014 at 3:33 pm (2 years ago)

Jennifer, these are all fabulous tips and we try to do quite a few. I really need to work on the turning off small appliances, and the power strip is a great idea. Have a nice weekend, Lisa

2. Kimberly ~ Serendipity Refined
    November 21, 2014 at 3:54 pm (2 years ago)

A new thermostat and high efficiency furnace are on our “to do” list for this winter if weather permits!

3. Robin
    November 21, 2014 at 5:14 pm (2 years ago)

Great tips! I need to start washing in cold water…I’ve been planning to do this but keep putting it off, thinking it might not be a good idea! You’ve inspired me 🙂 xo

4. Kerryanne @Shabby Art Boutique
    November 21, 2014 at 8:59 pm (2 years ago)

What great tips! We implemented the cold water washing awhile back and I was sceptical at first because my mum always washed in hot water, but there seriously is no difference in my washing.
    Kerryanne @Shabby Art Boutique recently posted…Shabbilicious Friday Link PartyMy Profile

November 24, 2014 at 11:18 am (2 years ago)

I always wash our clothes in cold water- actually I’ve always been nervous that hot water would make my colors fade faster. (Wonder if that’s true….)

5. Lani
    November 22, 2014 at 6:32 am (2 years ago)

These are all great tips, and thankfully we’re already doing almost all of them. The one that’s easiest to forget is changing the HVAC filters regularly, which is so important. It makes a HUGE difference in our electric bill and our allergies!
    Lani recently posted…Gobble Gobble … A Thanksgiving TreatMy Profile

November 24, 2014 at 11:16 am (2 years ago)

I agree… actually I think it’s about time to change our filter again! I need to remind my husband. 🙂

November 24, 2014 at 11:15 am (2 years ago)

That’s great advice – thanks Angie! 🙂

6. Yvonne @ StoneGable
    November 24, 2014 at 8:18 am (2 years ago)

Jen, Fabulous ideas! I must admit I could be more energy efficient. Thanks for showing me how!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on 15+ Ways to Be More Energy Efficient at Home