Painted Leather Chair Makeover with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint

This is one of those projects that ends up taking much longer that you think it will.  A typical chair makeover will take a day or less to complete – a couple coats of paint, new fabric, and a protectant and you’re usually good to go.  (You can read my in-depth guide to doing a chair makeover HERE.)

But this antique leather chair has so many nooks and crannies!  Originally I thought of recovering the seat and back since the leather looked so bad, but realized that would be really difficult with all those square tacks on the sides.  So I decided to try painting this leather chair with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint® since I know it can be used on almost anything.

BEFORE:  Painted Leather Chair Makeover with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint - girlinthegarage.net BEFORE:  Painted Leather Chair Makeover with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint - girlinthegarage.net

I chose Old Ochre Chalk Paint® which goes on almost white but turns into a soft cream once it’s been waxed and cured.

I got a few brushstrokes on and prayed for the best!   😉

The chair got about 4 coats of Chalk Paint®, with a large brush and a tiny artist’s brush for all the details.  I did not water down the paint, in fact it was actually a little thick since I’m nearing the bottom of my can (and I don’t always close the lid tightly… oops).

Painted Leather Chair Makeover with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint - girlinthegarage.net Painted Leather Chair Makeover with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint - girlinthegarage.net

I also replaced the buttons on top of the chair, and gave the whole thing a light coat of clear wax.  I’m going to add another light coat of wax just to be safe.

I’m also seriously thinking about adding some gold metallic paint to make the details pop – what do you think?

Have you tried painting fabric or leather before?

What are your thoughts?  I’d love to hear them!

Questions about Chalk Paint®?  Visit THIS PAGE for lots of information and inspiration.

P.S. I have a few friends who have also painted fabric or leather on chairs – visit them for more tips!

P.P.S.  Over the next several weeks, my friends and I will each be featuring each other on our blogs… check out this week’s featured bloggers below!

20 Comments on Painted Leather Chair Makeover with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint

1. Carole H
    October 16, 2014 at 6:49 am (3 years ago)

I Love the chair and it looks great! I think a little accent color would make it look even better!! Go for it, great job! I have never tried painting leather or fabric but might try one now. Thanks for the great post!!

October 20, 2014 at 5:25 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you Carole! I think I will add some gold accents. 🙂

2. Sue
    October 16, 2014 at 7:37 am (3 years ago)

Well, I think I am in the minority. I attempted to paint a fabric chair with ASCP and it turned out crusty and hard. I followed all of the steps, including waxing, but it looks absolutely awful. I am going to read the links here and see if perhaps I can still rescue my chair. Your chair looks beautiful!

October 20, 2014 at 5:24 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you Sue – I hope the other links helped as well. Maybe try again and use the first attempt as a learning experience? I think the key is to do several thin layers of both the paint and the wax. Good luck!

October 20, 2014 at 5:21 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you so much Lindsay! 🙂

3. Susan
    October 16, 2014 at 1:48 pm (3 years ago)

Looks great!!

4. Barbara
    October 16, 2014 at 5:57 pm (3 years ago)

Yours looks great! I’m in the process of painting a PINK wing-backed chair in ASP Old White (probably my first mistake). I’m on the final coat – it took 6! I have managed to wax the seat cushion, but it flattens out when I sit on it and has fine crack lines in it – Argh! If I’m honest, I won’t be going down this road again. Too much paint, and time for what I charged. It appeared to be more simple with all the other posts I read before trying. And since I’m only a weekend warrior at present … it is taking me forever! Overlook my ramblings – just frustrated that’s all.

October 20, 2014 at 5:32 pm (3 years ago)

Barbara, good luck to you! I hope it turns out- that sounds like a big project!

5. Susan Clinard
    October 16, 2014 at 7:20 pm (3 years ago)

This looks to great. It also is very beautiful. Questions for you….. you paint the fabric and you can really sit on it ?? The fabric will not crack ??

October 20, 2014 at 5:30 pm (3 years ago)

Susan, I think the key is to paint in thin layers… if you’re painting fabric, you will want to thin out the paint a little by adding some water. Also apply the wax in thin layers when you’re finished. This is my first project painting the entire chair (including the seat), but I know many people who’ve had success with it before – I’ve included a few links at the end of my post if you’d like some different perspectives. Thank you- and good luck if you decide to try it!

6. Alanna
    October 18, 2014 at 12:39 am (3 years ago)

I vote yes to the gold accents. I think that would look great!

What’s the texture end up being for a leather painted chair? I’ve been seeing a lot of posts on blogs about painting upholstery or leather and I worry it would end up weird. Yours looks like it feels great! Any tips?

October 20, 2014 at 5:20 pm (3 years ago)

Alanna,
      I’ve heard that fabric that’s painted with Chalk Paint and then waxed ends up feeling like leather… Painted leather still feels like leather to me – mine is a little more textured now, maybe because my paint was a little thick going on since it was near the bottom of the can. I can’t attest to how this will hold up long-term since this is a new project, but feel free to read through the other painted projects I shared at the end of this post to give you more insight. Thanks for your comment – I think I will add some gold! 🙂

7. Lisa
    October 23, 2014 at 7:32 pm (3 years ago)

This never ceases to amaze me-painting fabric and leather! This came out fantastic, what a transformation. I have to work up the nerve to try this. I have a gorgeous old victorian chair that needs a major fabric facelift, maybe I will get daring and try this myself.
    Came your way via Miss Mustard Seed’s Furniture Feature Friday.
    Fondly,
    -Lisa

October 29, 2014 at 9:50 am (2 years ago)

Thanks so much for stopping by, Lisa! Good luck with your chair if you decide to paint it. 🙂

8. Gail
    November 3, 2014 at 12:23 am (2 years ago)

Love your chair. I have painted 2 fabric chair seats. The first one was a kind of velour and it ended up cracking. I even sanded it but the cracks stayed. The second chair had a silk fabric seat and it turned out beautiful. I did use Annie Sloan chalk paint on both. I want to add gold details on my chair. I have already waxed it. Would Rub N Buff still adhere?

November 4, 2014 at 7:40 pm (2 years ago)

Gail, unfortunately I haven’t used Rubb N Buff so I can’t answer whether it will adhere. I know you can paint over wax, so it might be ok to try a small section and if it doesn’t work then you can repaint and wax that section again if you need to.

9. Gail
    November 5, 2014 at 6:21 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you for your reply. I did use Rub N Buff after painting and waxing with Annie Sloan products. It adhered well and my chair looks fantastic.

November 5, 2014 at 7:13 pm (2 years ago)

Yeay, that’s great to hear! Thank you for letting me know how it turned out. 🙂

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Painted Leather Chair Makeover with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint

1. […] *  Painted Leather Chair Makeover with Chalk Paint® […]