Faux to Fab Metallic Furniture Makeover with Modern Masters Paint

As promised, I’m revealing a fabulous metallic furniture makeover with you today.  This is a faux-wood 80’s-type French Provincial style set that was begging for a glam makeover with Modern Masters Metallic Paint.

First I applied two coats of Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Primer as recommended.  (The handles – except for the small round ones – were not removable, so I had to paint right over them.)

I ordered Modern Masters Metallic Paint in Platinum, Silver, and Oyster, and MasterClear Topcoat (which is specially formulated to protect the surface while keeping the metallic shimmer).  They are low VOC which I love!  (No stinkiness)

I painted the pieces in Platinum because I thought it was more of a light silver like a mirror, but after two coats you could still see through to the primer beneath it.  I think the faux wood was not a friend to my semi-opaque color choice.  I decided to switch to Silver (opaque) and you can tell below that even one coat made a big difference.  (I did paint two coats of Silver just for uniformity.)

The hardware also got two coats of Oyster – which is also semi-opaque, so it’s not an obvious difference but you can definitely tell there’s a bit of brighter shimmer there.  When you’re choosing a metallic color for your project, be sure to choose the correct coverge/hide: opaque, semi-opaque, or sheer.  Then it was all sealed with the MasterClear Topcoat for protection.

See how an 80's faux-wood French Provincial-style furniture set was glammed up with Modern Masters Metallic Paint. girlinthegarage.net See how an 80's faux-wood French Provincial-style furniture set was glammed up with Modern Masters Metallic Paint. girlinthegarage.net See how an 80's faux-wood French Provincial-style furniture set was glammed up with Modern Masters Metallic Paint. girlinthegarage.net

Gorgeous, right?  Who would guess how shabby this set looked before!

You can see all of the available metallic paint colors and other products that Modern Masters has to offer HERE.

Now the BIG QUESTION – Will I use it again?  I’ve already ordered another color and I can’t wait to use it!  😉

What do you think of metallic furniture?  Let me know – leave me a comment below!

Click here for my free printable resource list: 11 Items to Always Buy While Thrifting

25 Comments on Faux to Fab Metallic Furniture Makeover with Modern Masters Paint

1. Carole H
    September 17, 2014 at 6:24 am (3 years ago)

So much better…They look fabulous!! I love metallic paint and you did a super job!

2. Susan Ballard
    September 17, 2014 at 3:43 pm (3 years ago)

As an Interior designer I have known about and used Modern Masters Metallic paints for 15 years. Love them! I just did two round end tables which were walnut formica using antique bronze on the top, then chalk paint on the second shelf. The tables have 3 colors now instead of one! I’ll post them on my Facebook page so that you can see them.

Facebook/SecondHandRose-deleon

Try using the antique bronze, antique copper, and antique brass too on some of your furniture pieces. I usually accent a section of the furniture with the MM paints and use regular or chalk paint with it.
    Happy painting!!

September 17, 2014 at 10:16 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks so much Dawn! 🙂

3. Sherry Fram
    September 17, 2014 at 11:32 pm (3 years ago)

Wow the transformation is awesome!! Love the metallic paint!!

September 18, 2014 at 2:09 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you so much Therese! I love it too… I can’t wait to try it in gold!

4. Christie
    September 18, 2014 at 8:58 pm (3 years ago)

I really do love this transformation! I have a piece of furniture I’ve been thinking about painting, so I will have to check out this paint. Awesome job!
    Christie recently posted…DIY Party DecorationsMy Profile

5. Susan
    September 18, 2014 at 9:43 pm (3 years ago)

It will add class to any room!

6. Karen Wheeler
    September 19, 2014 at 7:34 pm (3 years ago)

I love the finish. Gave me ideas! GREAT! BEAUTIFUL JOB & THANK YOU!!

7. JaneEllen
    September 25, 2014 at 4:08 pm (2 years ago)

Love look of that furniture, so pretty to have in a room, any room. Sounds like it was lots of work to get right but worth the efforts. Now I’ll be looking at furniture in different way, see if I can find a piece I’d like to use metallic on. Great post and project, love your blog. Happy weekend

8. cassandra
    November 17, 2014 at 2:18 pm (2 years ago)

Did you sand the furniture before you primed it?

November 18, 2014 at 10:54 am (2 years ago)

Cassandra, I did not sand this set since it was not real wood and would’ve just flaked off. Normally I would sand before priming.

9. Jackie
    February 16, 2016 at 11:47 am (1 year ago)

Just bought metallic paint for a night table. How did you apply it? I want to get it right 1st time. This has been a horrible DYI experience for me

February 18, 2016 at 9:03 pm (1 year ago)

Hi Jackie, with metallic paint you definitely want to make sure your table is smooth (sanded if necessary) and then primed well. Otherwise any little imperfections or bleeding will make it difficult to get the nice metallic shine you’re trying for. It will probably need 2-3 coats of paint and then a good topcoat for protection. I don’t know which products you’re using but I’ve been quite happy with Modern Masters when I’ve used them on my projects. Good luck with your table – I hope it turns out like you want it to!

• Jackie
        February 23, 2016 at 9:57 am (1 year ago)

Bought Modern Masters. Thanks for you help!

February 23, 2016 at 11:33 am (1 year ago)

You’re so welcome! Good luck! 🙂

10. Romona
    March 23, 2017 at 5:27 pm (1 day ago)

I repainted some lamps with this metallic….refreshed my living room more than I can imagine…so beautiful. Thank you for the inspiration

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Faux to Fab Metallic Furniture Makeover with Modern Masters Paint

1. […] to me!  Actually it was two days ago on the 17th, but I was busy showing you guys my awesome new metallic furniture makeover.  I hope you didn’t mind me postponing the […]

2. […] Faux to Fab Furniture Makeover with Modern Masters Metallic Paint […]