DIY Fall Wreath

How to make a DIY fall wreath with burlap and nature-inspired sprigs.  girlinthegarage.net

I’m not a big-time wreath maker, but my door was looking a little lonely and so far I’d only decorated my mantel for fall.  Honestly I sort of winged this one (the last wreath I made was kind of nontraditional) so I headed over to Hobby Lobby and bought a few things that I thought would be pretty on a DIY fall wreath.

Supplies:

• Medium-sized foam wreath
  • Various fall sprigs (I bought three large and one small, for the main focal point)
  • Burlap ribbon with red ticking that I already had… yard sale find
  • Hot glue gun, not pictured

First I wrapped the burlap ribbon all the way around the wreath, hot gluing every so often.  Make sure the ends meet up on the same side, and then make that the back of the wreath.

I played with a few arrangements and decided to add these burlap leaves that I had cut for another project and didn’t end up using.  I hot glued them onto about 1/4 of the wreath.

Next I layered two large sprigs over the top and glued them on, and overlapped the third spring facing the opposite way.

I covered the stems with a few more burlap leaves and glued the focal point on top.

TADA!  All done.  I’m proud of my wreath – not bad for a newbie, right?

(I think maybe I could almost get away with using this for Christmas too.  Ha)

Have you started your fall decorating?

Here’s my fall mantel and burlap art if you missed it last week:

xo, Jen

Related Posts:

*  Fall Burlap Banner and Mantel (2013)

* No-Sew Fall Runner and Candle Wraps

* Easy Bandana Wreath

12 Comments on DIY Fall Wreath

1. Trinity B.
    September 15, 2014 at 2:54 pm (3 years ago)

I’m not much of a wreath maker either, but that’s WAY better than anything I’d come up with. I think you sort of ARE a wreath maker. 🙂 Thanks for sharing–I may try to copy it for my own door if you don’t mind.

2. Crystal
    September 15, 2014 at 8:30 pm (3 years ago)

Beautiful wreath!! Love it!!

September 16, 2014 at 11:35 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you Shelly! 🙂

3. Paula@SweetPea
    September 16, 2014 at 4:08 pm (3 years ago)

Your wreath is so pretty and I know you’ll enjoy it until it is time to switch it out for a Christmas themed one. I am so jealous that you found that burlap ribbon at a yard sale. What a great find!
    Paula@SweetPea recently posted…New Fall Wreath and a Fun AnnouncementMy Profile

4. Kathleen
    September 16, 2014 at 6:43 pm (3 years ago)

Hey Jen,
    I’m not that into wreaths either, but I sure do love yours. It’s funny I’m working on a wreath that I wrapped in orange burlap ribbon. It’s going to go in my garage to welcome us home since that is the way we enter the house. I also do not decorate for fall until after Halloween. Halloween is my favorite holiday and I can’t wait to get started on it this weekend. Eeeek, bring on the orange!!!! Love your mantel too. Our new house doesn’t have a fireplace…yet, so I’m really going to miss having that to decorate. Hopefully next year.
    Kathleen recently posted…Batten and Board Shutters – First Project For The New House!My Profile

5. Katherines Corner
    September 17, 2014 at 6:58 pm (3 years ago)

Its lovely and a wonderful way to welcome the season change. I invite you to share at my Thursday Favorite Things blog hop ( you can start linking up tonight at 8PM MST) Hugs
    Katherines Corner recently posted…Pumpkin Spice CookiesMy Profile

6. Robin
    September 20, 2014 at 7:36 pm (3 years ago)

I LOVE your beautiful wreath my friend!

September 20, 2014 at 10:18 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you so much Robin! Hope you’re having a wonderful weekend! 🙂