Weathered Bench Makeover with Chalk Paint

Beautiful weathered wood bench makeover with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old Ochre.  girlinthegarage.net

I don’t do a lot of really distressed/chippy/weathered makeovers, but this bench spoke to me and told me that’s what it needed.  Yes it did.  😉  I didn’t see it just as a country-style bench, but aged and weathered from sitting on a grand wraparound porch somewhere in a distant time.

Before: Weathered wood bench makeover with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old Ochre.  girlinthegarage.net

The look was fairly easy to achieve.  I casually painted the bench in Old Ochre Chalk Paint®, not really caring if I covered everything.  In fact, I tried not to cover every inch.  Then when the paint wore off my brush I kept going – dry brushing and adding some softness.

After the paint dried I sanded it and finally applied a light coat of clear wax for protection.

I love the weathered look on this bench makeover and I really think it accentuates the beautiful details in the legs and spindles.

Weathered wood bench makeover with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old Ochre.  girlinthegarage.net Weathered wood bench makeover with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old Ochre.  girlinthegarage.net

Are you a fan of the weathered chippy look?

Leave me a comment below and let me know!

Recent Awesome Posts:

* DIY Infinity Scarf from a Maxi Dress

* Kids’ Bento Lunch Ideas and Free Printable Lunchbox Notes

* Shades of Blue Chalk Paint {Provence and Aubusson}

25 Comments on Weathered Bench Makeover with Chalk Paint

August 17, 2014 at 9:23 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you Breanna! Hope you had a great weekend 🙂

1. Rose L.
    August 15, 2014 at 2:24 pm (3 years ago)

My parents have a bench exactly like that one! Do you have to sand before painting it?
    Rose L. recently posted…HAVE YOU SEEN THIS MOVIE?My Profile

August 17, 2014 at 9:22 pm (3 years ago)

Rose, normally with Chalk Paint you don’t have to sand before painting. However since the seat of the bench was flaking a bit, I did sand it down to smooth it out.

2. Robyn
    August 15, 2014 at 3:23 pm (3 years ago)

Have recently started using chalk paint and I love it!! The bench looks great!!!! I love the weathered look.

August 17, 2014 at 9:21 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you Robyn! Chalk Paint takes a little getting used to, but I love it!

August 17, 2014 at 9:20 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you so much Leslie! 🙂

August 21, 2014 at 10:22 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you so much, Sarah!

3. Michelle
    August 24, 2014 at 12:43 pm (3 years ago)

I am new to your site but that bench drew me in! What a great job!!

August 24, 2014 at 11:26 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you so much, Michelle! Glad to have you visiting! 🙂

4. WEST FURNITURE REVIVAL
    August 25, 2014 at 7:35 pm (3 years ago)

love the bench, the color is beautiful, i would love to feature it, if that would be ok please let me know,
    lauren

August 26, 2014 at 10:19 am (3 years ago)

Thank you Lauren! Yes you may feature it.

5. Blair
    August 18, 2016 at 3:26 pm (12 months ago)

Hey, Jen! Just stopping by to say hi! Loved chatting with you today. And I’m DYING over this bench. I want!!! 🙂

August 18, 2016 at 6:34 pm (12 months ago)

Thanks so much, Blair. I loved that project because it was actually a really easy update! It sold quickly in my booth and I’m always on the lookout for more benches like this. If you ever have a question about anything DIY-related, let me know. 🙂

6. Carole
    September 3, 2016 at 11:35 pm (12 months ago)

I’d like very much to do a long garden bench in our rock Zen garden, also two
    small bridges over the dry river bed.
    I can picture an old weathered barn wood finish; and I’d like to do them without a commercial stain mixture. Have you ever made your own stains out of natural items?

September 4, 2016 at 9:47 pm (12 months ago)

Carole, that sounds lovely! However I’ve never made my own stain though. I’ve heard of people staining with tea but I’m not sure how it would hold up outdoors. Best of luck to you with your projects.

7. Trina R. Holden
    September 20, 2016 at 4:05 pm (11 months ago)

Love this! you make it sound so easy, I think I’m gonna branch out and try this style on my next makeover.

September 20, 2016 at 10:23 pm (11 months ago)

Thank you Trina! This really is the easiest way to paint – any imperfections are easily blended right in for a natural weathered look.

8. Gretchen
    March 14, 2017 at 10:18 pm (5 months ago)

This is a beautiful makeover. I love the potential you can find in a piece of furniture. Love the weathered look.

March 14, 2017 at 10:34 pm (5 months ago)

Thank you so much, Gretchen. 🙂 I love the weathered look on certain furniture and this piece seemed perfect for it.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Weathered Bench Makeover with Chalk Paint