Treasure Hunting 4

It’s time for another installment of Treasure Hunting, aka “The good stuff I’ve found at yard sales and thrift stores lately.”  Some of these items I will redo, and some will go straight to my booth.  And I usually end up keeping a few things for myself (for awhile anyway).  😉

Beautiful yard sale treasures and thrift store goodies I've found recently.  girlinthegarage.net

I fell in love with these nightstands the moment I saw them.  It wasn’t until I got them home that I noticed markings that indicated they used to be part of a vanity or desk and they had been separated.  Very cool pieces!

Drum table = Love.  It actually looks pretty good from a distance, but whoever glazed it left quite a few streaks and some drip marks.

These metal drawers are pretty awesome.  There were 12 available but I only bought these 3.  (My car was pretty full already!)  The CD holders next to them – I have no idea what I’m going to do with them but I’ll come up with something.   😉

Chair = Love.  The fabric looks like it might have been painted over because I can see a faint floral pattern underneath.  This will be a fun makeover!

Candlesticks, cool bottle, and awesome little bowl with gold details.   All treasures!

I love the lines and pattern on this lamp.  I’m also excited to do my first lamp makeover- that shade needs some serious help!

Lovely vintage green glass bowls – part of a larger set of dishware, but unfortunately I couldn’t buy it all.

Ornate mirror and fabulous silver serving tray – the tray just needs cleaned up.  Does anyone have advice for cleaning antique silver?  I’m going to consider keeping this piece because it is GORGEOUS!

And I almost forgot about this one….

I needs a little work but I can’t wait to get started on this one!  I’ve been wanting an antique Singer sewing machine table for a long time.

Have you found any treasures lately?

I’d love to hear about them in a comment below!

Recent Posts:

* Turquoise French Script Table Makeover

* Weathered Bench Makeover with Chalk Paint

* DIY Infinity Scarf from a Maxi Dress

18 Comments on Treasure Hunting 4

1. Carole H
    August 19, 2014 at 6:15 am (3 years ago)

Wow! You really made a haul and everything looks very interesting! I especially love the nightstands, mirror and lamp! I have several lamps something like that that are screaming for an awesome shade, can’t wait to see what you do with it. Thanks!

2. Dixie Lee
    August 19, 2014 at 7:03 am (3 years ago)

The hardware on the nightstands look like chinoiserie to me – I’d be thinking a lacquer look in black and/or red plus gold…. I’ll be interested to see what you choose….

3. Tammy C
    August 19, 2014 at 1:52 pm (3 years ago)

if the tray is sterling and not plated, you have a MINT in your hands. Take a look at silver prices per ounce today!!

Keep it someplace safe and not out in the open in your store!

August 19, 2014 at 10:42 pm (3 years ago)

OOH, now I have to figure out if it’s sterling or plated!

• Katie
        February 24, 2015 at 8:53 am (2 years ago)

Hi Jem,
        I love your site!!! So many great ideas!
        If you dont mind me asking, What did you pay for the Singer sewing machine with cabinet?
        Katie

February 26, 2015 at 12:37 am (2 years ago)

Hi Katie,
          Thank you! I honestly don’t remember what I paid for the sewing machine/table – I think it was around $50.

4. Lindsay Eidahl
    August 19, 2014 at 1:58 pm (3 years ago)

Fun finds! I have happened upon a few sales in the last few weeks that have been AMAZING! My garage is packed full again with projects which I love.
    Lindsay Eidahl recently posted…Tour Through Blog LandMy Profile

5. mequilter
    August 19, 2014 at 2:12 pm (3 years ago)

I am sooooo anxious to see what you do with the antique sewing machine. I’ve got three of those, one to keep in it’s original state, and 2 of them to somehow re-purpose. Love your blog & ideas.

6. beck campbell
    August 22, 2014 at 7:47 am (3 years ago)

The easiest way to clean silver or SP…take a deep pan, like a baking dish, large enough for the item. Fill it with enough water to cover the item. Put a large piece of aluminum foil in the bottom, then sprinkle in baking soda…submerge the piece in this.
    The thing I don’t like about this method…it takes the “patina” out of the “carvings” and takes away some of the character. On pieces that have etchings, I usually just use a commercial product that is specifically for cleaning silver. That way I can clean the flat areas but leave the “coloration” in the etchings and groves. Just a preference!

August 22, 2014 at 10:14 am (3 years ago)

Great to know- thanks for the advice!

• Deb
      August 31, 2014 at 1:03 am (3 years ago)

DON’T DO THIS!!!

Not only does it give off toxic fumes it doesn’t do the plating any good either. The best product to use is Hagerty SilverFoam & other products in their range. The tarnish just was he right off.

Products used for real silver will damage silver plate.

If after cleaning a piece you discover it’s got damage to the plating, it can be replated.

7. Pat @ Life At Lydias House
    August 24, 2014 at 10:58 pm (3 years ago)

Great finds! I love the sewing machine because it is just like my grandmother’s! If the tray is sterling silver it should be marked “sterling” somewhere on the back. If it is silver plate it may not be marked. To clean it I would recommend using Wenol metal polish which can be purchased on Amazon. It works well on a variety of metals without damaging them. If you can’t get Wenol my next choice would be Wright’s Silver Cream which also works very well.

August 26, 2014 at 10:09 am (3 years ago)

Thank you Pat! I can’t find any markings on the tray so it’s likely silver plated.

8. Monique Hunt
    September 14, 2015 at 8:09 am (2 years ago)

Lovely pieces! I really like vintage pieces and I very often find some nice items online or at garage sales. For cleaning silver I know the same method with baking soda and I can’t be sure if there is another way for cleaning older silver objects. I guess that it is better if you search more information online for how to clean vintage silver! Thanks for sharing your treasures! I am in love with the drum table! 🙂

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Treasure Hunting 4

1. […] There were 12 available but I only bought these 3.  (My car was pretty full already!) quote by Jen Girl In The Garage….she loves thrift shopping just like some one else I know….just […]