Shabby Chic Chair Makeover

Can I tell you a secret?  I’m not really a fan of the term “shabby chic.”  I’m not exactly sure why, but I usually prefer “vintage,” “romantic,” or any other similar descriptive words.  But honestly when this chair makeover was finished it just screamed “shabby chic chair” to me.  It’s so pretty and girly and vintage and romantic and shabby chic!

Here’s the before:

BEFORE:  See how an old chair got a shabby chic makeover with Chalk Paint and vintage-inspired fabric.  girlinthegarage.net

The chair has a little bit of history having been made a few hours south of me in Tell City, Indiana.

I gave it one of my favorite Annie Sloan Chalk Paint® colors – Old Ochre, did some light distressing, and applied a coat of clear wax.  Then I found the perfect vintage-looking fabric at Hobby Lobby and recovered the seat.  (Click HERE for all of my step-by-step tips for doing a chair makeover.)

And here she is all finished!  So lovely.

So romantic.

So shabby chic!   😉

See how an old chair got a shabby chic makeover with Chalk Paint and vintage-inspired fabric.  girlinthegarage.net See how an old chair got a shabby chic makeover with Chalk Paint and vintage-inspired fabric.  girlinthegarage.net

Are you a fan of shabby chic decor?

Let me know ~ leave me a comment below!

Recent Awesome Posts:

* French-Themed Printable Art

* 26 Gorgeous Grey Projects

* Treasure Hunting 4

20 Comments on Shabby Chic Chair Makeover

1. Leslie @ House on the Way
    August 25, 2014 at 12:40 pm (2 years ago)

What a beautiful makeover! Love the transformation. I’d love for you to link it to my Twirl & Take a Bow Party tonight at 8pm. We’d love to have you!
    Leslie

2. Robyn
    August 25, 2014 at 2:19 pm (2 years ago)

LOVE how the chair turned out!!! We live about 30 minutes from Tell City and I have several vintage pieces from Tell City furniture including my grandmother’s kitchen table and chairs. Maybe one day I will get around to giving them a makeover.

August 26, 2014 at 10:12 am (2 years ago)

Thank you Robyn! From the bit of research I did, it looks like Tell City Furniture made a lot of great quality pieces for a long time.

3. Kathy milliken
    August 25, 2014 at 2:32 pm (2 years ago)

Oh the chair is sooo pretty! Great job!

August 26, 2014 at 10:12 am (2 years ago)

4. Eileen
    August 25, 2014 at 2:52 pm (2 years ago)

Beautiful chair can be used in front of a desk or vanity, or just as an occasional chair in the livingroom .you did such a wonderful job restoring it & letting it live another life with you. Continued good luck.

August 26, 2014 at 10:13 am (2 years ago)

Thank you Eileen – have a wonderful week! 🙂

August 26, 2014 at 10:13 am (2 years ago)

Thank you Trista! 🙂

5. Joann Belcher
    August 25, 2014 at 8:15 pm (2 years ago)

Simply gorg! That is all I have to say!

August 26, 2014 at 10:14 am (2 years ago)

Thank you so much Joann! Thanks for stopping by 🙂

6. Rose L.
    August 25, 2014 at 8:58 pm (2 years ago)

I LOVE the chair!!!!!!!! Perfect for me—I am Rose!!!! It has roses! viola!
    Rose L. recently posted…HAVE YOU SEEN THIS MOVIE?My Profile

August 26, 2014 at 10:15 am (2 years ago)

Thank you Rose- you are so right! 🙂

7. Sandi Nakoneczny
    August 27, 2014 at 12:58 am (2 years ago)

I love it and I have the perfect place in my house for it. Could it come live with me?
    Beautiful as always.

August 31, 2014 at 9:56 pm (2 years ago)

Thank so you much Sandi! If you live near Chicago, it can be yours! 😉

8. Susan Ballard
    September 1, 2014 at 2:03 pm (2 years ago)

I’m with you Jen about the term “Shabby Chic.” Just tired of hearing all white or off-white restyled furniture being called that. Way over-used!! The chair turned out nice and I love the way you highlighted the rose pattern with allowing the Mahogany to show thru. The table next to it holding the roses would look very nice done in the same white paint– brighten it up! Love your ideas on your blog. Keep them coming, please!

9. Jess
    October 8, 2014 at 9:32 pm (2 years ago)

This makeover is amazing and the fabric choice is perfect. I’m jealous!
    Jess recently posted…Etsy your Shabby ChicMy Profile

10. Sarah
    January 13, 2015 at 7:41 pm (2 years ago)

I can’t believe this photo! I have four chairs very similar to this one that we use at our kitchen table. They are crying out for some attention and I was just telling my husband that I would like to paint them. After thinking for a few moments about what color I might use I said, “How about if we paint them white? Then we can do something with the carved flower detail.” Imagine my surprise to click on this link just now and “see” just what I had envisioned in my mind! How fun! I can hardly wait to show my husband this photo. I guess the old adage is true – great minds think alike! Thank you for your very realistic and inspiring projects. I like how you see the world. BTW – your suitcase dresser was amazing! So well done. One more thing … I, too, never really liked the term “shabby chic” but I have resigned myself to using it since I do love what I see when things are described that way! Thanks again.

January 14, 2015 at 10:48 pm (2 years ago)

So funny! I know your chairs will turn out beautiful – the white will certainly brighten them up. Thanks for your sweet comment – it made my day! 🙂