Wallpaper and Chalk Paint Table Makeover

Hi friends!  The last couple weeks have been a bit crazy so it’s taken me a little while to finish this decoupage table makeover.  I went to Atlanta for Haven, spent a while unpacking and putting all my goodies away, changed my shower head, and took the boys to the county fair.  This table is finally finished though and it’s looking pretty chic!

Here’s how it looked when I got it:

BEFORE: Beautiful decoupage table makeover with wallpaper and Chalk Paint.  girlinthegarage.net

First I gave it a couple coats of Graphite Chalk Paint® and then waxed with Annie Sloan clear and dark wax.  (Graphite is a deep gray color, but the dark wax – which is dark brown – makes it more of a black.)

I’ve been so excited to use this black and white wallpaper that I got earlier this summer (also at a yard sale) and decided to decoupage it to the sides.  The shape is pretty cool and I knew the pattern would really make it pop.

I laid the wallpaper on the floor and the table on top of it.  Then I cut the shape with an Exacto knife, trimming certain areas once I set the table upright.  I did the same with the other side of the table.

Finally I got my Mod Podge and carefully glued the wallpaper onto the sides, smoothing out any bubbles and keeping the paper as tight and flat as possible.  (I used cans of paint and wax to keep the paper still while I glued sections.)

Here it is all finished.  Ooh la la!

Beautiful decoupage table makeover with wallpaper and Chalk Paint.  girlinthegarage.net Beautiful decoupage table makeover with wallpaper and Chalk Paint.  girlinthegarage.net

One last thing- a new knob from Hobby Lobby.   It was dark bronze but I brushed some Graphite Chalk Paint® over it.

Here’s a view from the front…

Have you been inspired to try decoupage?  I have 16 more decoupage projects if you click the link below!

Awesome Related Posts:

Decoupage Map Table

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint® Review

16 Creative Ways to Decoupage Furniture

Also, follow me on Instagram to see behind-the-scenes photos of my projects.

15 Comments on Wallpaper and Chalk Paint Table Makeover

1. Julie
    July 21, 2014 at 2:05 pm (3 years ago)

Such perfect timing, thanks for the instructions and inspiration!!

July 23, 2014 at 11:34 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you Julie- good luck with your project!

2. Charlene
    July 21, 2014 at 3:37 pm (3 years ago)

Hey, question about using clear AND dark wax. I had a nightmare of a time getting it to “set” up and harden. It kept scraping off with the slightest of pressure. Any suggestions? Love, love this project!

July 23, 2014 at 11:33 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you Charlene! 🙂 How long did you let the wax sit for? (And are you using Annie Sloan wax?) AS wax takes about 30 days to fully cure. So I’d be very careful with it during that timeframe. If you’re doing a table, I’d recommend several light coats of wax for added protection (separated by a day or so). Also, surfaces that will get a lot of use (like the top of a kitchen table) should be re-waxed pretty often- I think I read about every 6-9 months. I also wrote a post about using clear and dark wax together: http://girlinthegarage.net/2013/11/hutch-love-how-give-furniture-aged-look I hope that helps!

3. Trista
    July 21, 2014 at 4:07 pm (3 years ago)

Yeah, that’s to die for. Love the wallpaper touch on it. You = genius.
    Trista recently posted…DIY Memory Lane PicturesMy Profile

July 23, 2014 at 11:26 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks so much Trista! xo

4. Rose L.
    July 21, 2014 at 9:38 pm (3 years ago)

I have not decoupaged furniture since the early 70’s! I have done small storage boxes and jewelry boxes.

5. Crystal
    July 21, 2014 at 11:08 pm (3 years ago)

Super cute!! I love the wallpaper on the sides. Love it!!

July 23, 2014 at 11:25 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks so much Crystal! 🙂

July 23, 2014 at 11:26 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Wendi – You have to let me know if you give it a try! 🙂

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Wallpaper and Chalk Paint Table Makeover

1. […] She shares inspiration from some of the top DIY Bloggers on her Facebook page. Visit Jen today and see what she painted last week. […]

2. […] 10.  Wallpaper and Chalk Paint Table Makeover – Girl in the Garage […]